Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky shorey

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Naylor just started following him on twitter. Make that into what you want...

Nice spot - then go look at who else he follows - out of 81 people, of which most are journalists, Stoke and Brighton players - there are also only 3 other players who arent Stoke/BHA who he follows...

Liam Trotter
Nicky Shorey
Aaron Mclean

Interesting...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Nice spot - then go look at who else he follows - out of 81 people, of which most are journalists, Stoke and Brighton players - there are also only 3 other players who arent Stoke/BHA who he follows...

Liam Trotter
Nicky Shorey
Aaron Mclean

Interesting...

Classic - read it on NSC then follow the rumour on twitter. Simples!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
We're probably interested in a lot of players.

Non-story.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Leicester are interested, so depends whether wages are his main concern, which at his age is likely.

Are Leicester richer than us?

Genuine question.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Are Leicester richer than us?

Genuine question.

I suspect the answer is possibly that they may or may not be richer but they will almost certainly spend more money.

Whether it is money the club have or can afford isn't always an issue at the forefront of club owners' minds.

Most owners are not fans and will ultimately walk away when their purpose is served having suitably ring-fenced the losses from their personal or corporate wealth

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I suspect the answer is possibly that they may or may not be richer but they will almost certainly spend more money.

Whether it is money they have or can afford isn't always an issue at the forefront of club owners' minds.

Most owners are not fans and will ultimately walk away when their purpose is served having suitably ring-fenced the losses from their personal or corporate wealth

You may well be right SG.

I have noticed that whenever an established Championship team is memtioned in a player that we are interested in, it is always assumed we can't compete on wages. With the new seats selling out quickly, I think we can.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
You may well be right SG.

I have noticed that whenever an established Championship team is memtioned in a player that we are interested in, it is always assumed we can't compete on wages. With the new seats selling out quickly, I think we can.

I think the key is that Tony Bloom won't allow us to be known as a club which will spend spend spend.

As soon as the likes of Leicester come in for a player there is a battle between his club and his agent as to who can overvalue his services the most.

We don't want to get into that position but that doesn't mean that we cannot necessarily compete

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
He would be in the top 3 or 4 left backs in this division. No brainer if it's a possibility.

Agree with that but Leicester, Hull. Leeds...............all reported as interested so plenty of competition if we do go after him.

I don't have a clue where he is based - if he stayed around Reading (perfectly feasible daily commute when he was at Villa and Baggies) then we might be a better fit at this stage of his career than might first appear so not necessarily just about money.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Agree with that but Leicester, Hull. Leeds...............all reported as interested so plenty of competition if we do go after him.

I don't have a clue where he is based - if he stayed around Reading (perfectly feasible daily commute when he was at Villa and Baggies) then we might be a better fit at this stage of his career than might first appear so not necessarily just about money.

We were apparently priced out for a move for Kuczszak by Ipswich, and West Ham/Leicester were in for CMS last year... We know that those 3 clubs pay a lot of money for players, and also high wages... so either we are paying more wages than some of us think, or players don't just move for money.

I actually believe the latter - hence, I believe we can compete...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
We were apparently priced out for a move for Kuczszak by Ipswich, and West Ham/Leicester were in for CMS last year... We know that those 3 clubs pay a lot of money for players, and also high wages... so either we are paying more wages than some of us think, or players don't just move for money.

I actually believe the latter - hence, I believe we can compete...

As I said on another thread, TB is making sure that we are not known as a club to be taken advantage of (unlike Leicester for example). That doesn't mean we cannot or do not compete. As an outsider you would look at some of those who are rumoured to be after Shorey and surmise that they are likely to be prepared to spend more or, in some cases, are maybe more likely to get promoted this season. We have seen (and heard) with Kuszczak and CMS that there can be more to it than that and a relatively straightforward daily commute - as Will Hoskins has said - can be one factor.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
SG you may remember I suggested Nicky Shorey some weeks ago and your view was that he was slow and not much quicker than Painter. It now appears that more and more people are saying that we should sign him. I am sure that I read that Reading wanted to take him, back there but I am sure that your contacts at WBA would be able to tell you more.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
SG you may remember I suggested Nicky Shorey some weeks ago and your view was that he was slow and not much quicker than Painter. It now appears that more and more people are saying that we should sign him. I am sure that I read that Reading wanted to take him, back there but I am sure that your contacts at WBA would be able to tell you more.

I already asked the question of a friend who professes to be in the know at Baggies (well you couldn't resist could you?) and he was the one who quoted Leicester, Hull and Leeds at me - no mention of us but if we are interested it could be too recent for him to have picked any hints up (or he may just be feeding me crap which to be honest is always a possibility!). I wouldn't read anything into it one way or the other in the same way that I asked a mate who works at Villa Park about Emile Heskey and Gary Gardner being linked to us (all he would say was that with a new manager it was too early to say what might happen in or out but Lambert has apparently hit the ground running). So as usual I know sweet FA!

I still don't think Shorey is the best answer for us - fantastic experience-wise but I would prefer to see some pace at the back as I think we have problem enough getting the ball forward quickly. I would take him if he was offered though :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here