Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Rust played 204 games for us!!!

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Was just looking up Ashley Neal's loan record for us and saw that Rusty played over 200 games!

Genuinely shocked as he was woeful and I was sure it was nearer the 100 mark!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was actually pretty good when he 1st played for us. Have no idea what happened but after he suffered an injury and was out for a while, during which time we had a top goalkeeper from Celtic on loan, he just became shit.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Stewart Kerr was the loanee who was good for us.

The Rust v Ormerod battle for the number one shirt after that was pretty similar to the Shilton v Clemence battle I always thought...

acrossthepond

Jan 30, 2006
Ruritania
Didn't Rust get U-21 recognition whilst he was playing well for us? He was in competition with that Birmingham lad who subsequently got killed in a car crash - Bennet,was that his name?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Didn't Rust get U-21 recognition whilst he was playing well for us? He was in competition with that Birmingham lad who subsequently got killed in a car crash - Bennet,was that his name?

bennet is still alive as far as i am aware

not sure if he was ever called up, but i remember he was definently on standby for one game

not really suprising he played over 200 games - he was picked for virtually every game in 93-94, 94-95 and 95-96, and it was only halfway 96-97 that ormerod finally got the number one shirt - despite the general consensus having been he was a lot better for a number of years in the reserves

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Its a bit of a myth that Rust has a bad keeper. He was actually a good keeper who was recognised by England at U16's, U18's & U21's. Who can forget his performance against Leicester at Filbert Street in the Coca Cola Cup.

I think he gets a lot of unfair critism on here. Wev'e had a hell of a lot of worse keepers than Nicky Rust.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Its a bit of a myth that Rust has a bad keeper. He was actually a good keeper who was recognised by England at U16's, U18's & U21's. Who can forget his performance against Leicester at Filbert Street in the Coca Cola Cup.

I think he gets a lot of unfair critism on here. Wev'e had a hell of a lot of worse keepers than Nicky Rust.

Name them!!

He had a short spell of being okay, but crosses, kicking and one-on-ones were never his strong point, remember his useless performance against Orient in the 4-4 game where the North Stand actually started chanting for Ormerod, didnt go down too well Rusty!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

he does get a lot of unfair criticism, as does ormerod

but after 94-95 he put in some pretty dire performances

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
I never though Ormerod was too bad, again never great at crosses, but pretty good shot stopper.

Played 93 games for us too, how interesting....

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Thought he was a good keeper but when the back pass law came in he went to bits. Can remember on a number of occasions when the ball rolled back to him he just totally missed the attempted clearance and ball went out for corner. Think that his confidence totally dissapeared after that

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I never though Ormerod was too bad, again never great at crosses, but pretty good shot stopper.

Played 93 games for us too, how interesting....

and arguably the only reason he got released was because it came down to him and walton as to who would stay at the end of 99-00. adams opted for walton, who then promptly decided to walk out

had it of been the other way round, and ormerod was kept, it would of been an interesting battle between him and, presuming he was signed, kuipers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I Who can forget his performance against Leicester at Filbert Street in the Coca Cola Cup.

QUOTE]

I remember Jimmy Case being sent off for pretending to be deaf as he time wasted :lolol:

Rust became that bad that I think he conceded 8 or so on his debut for Barnet (?) and had been dire for us for at least a season before that

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Rust made a flying start, missing just two games in his first three years after being thrown into the first team aged 18. He even managed to equal the club record for clean sheets with five on the bounce in 1995 and his number of appearances put him in the top eight of Albion keepers.

But injury and then loss of form saw him sidelined and Mark Ormerod became No. 1 during the 1996-97 season in which the club secured their league status on the last day at Hereford.

Didn't Rust get player of the season one of those years?

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Rust made a flying start, missing just two games in his first three years after being thrown into the first team aged 18. He even managed to equal the club record for clean sheets with five on the bounce in 1995 and his number of appearances put him in the top eight of Albion keepers.

But injury and then loss of form saw him sidelined and Mark Ormerod became No. 1 during the 1996-97 season in which the club secured their league status on the last day at Hereford.

Didn't Rust get player of the season one of those years?

a record now held by ben roberts i believe

i think he may of got player of the year in 93-94 or 94-95, as ian chapman won it in 95-96

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Kurt Nogan in 93-94 and Peter Smith in 94-95, so I guess not.

But I find some of the comments on here strange in relation to Rusts ability. At the time we were the second to worst team in the league, but I don't think he was the second worst, or worst for that matter, keeper in the league. And I'm sure all the people on here commenting on his ability were there at those games throughout those dark days.

Oh well, perhaps it's my age and I just can't remember how bad he was.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Kurt Nogan in 93-94 and Peter Smith in 94-95, so I guess not.

But I find some of the comments on here strange in relation to Rusts ability. At the time we were the second to worst team in the league, but I don't think he was the second worst, or worst for that matter, keeper in the league. And I'm sure all the people on here commenting on his ability were there at those games throughout those dark days.

Oh well, perhaps it's my age and I just can't remember how bad he was.

trouble is, he was good at the start, but he then just turned shit

didn't he used to smoke about 20 a day as well, which couldnt of helped!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here