Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Forster

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Now dont get me wrong this is not a Gus Poyet whinge fest because i am one of his biggest fans. The transformation since he took over performance wise has been immense. A ridiculously leaky defence has shut up shop over recent weeks and were slowly climbing the table.

My only concern is regarding Nicky Forster. Now as far as im aware the recent issues between the pair have been resolved but yet in a matter of a month he has gone from guarenteed starter to third choice behind Murray and Holroyd. I just dont get the logic of bringing this baby faced assassin on with 20 minutes to go over Forster. Im not knocking Hoyroyd but hes one for the future. Forster has done it year after year and over the past two seasons if it wasnt for his goals we would be in deep shit. Gus cleary doesnt have plans for Nicky beyond this season but hes contracted till the summer, but you know he can score goals so he must be utilized ahead of Hoyroyd in my opinion.

I feel really sad for Nicky. Granted he may not have handled this contract dispute greatly but aside from that hes been immense for us. £75,000 was a snip 3 years ago and he's paid that back with his goals playing in quite frankly a mediocre team in recent times. Im not saying he is owed another contract it just seems to me he's been cast aside in a manner not befitting his worth

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Personally felt he should of replaced Murray near the end as Glenn was evidently tired and gave the ball away needlessly. not that I am knocking murray, he played well on the whole. Just think he looked shattered at the end! Could of utilised nickys pace.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Personally felt he should of replaced Murray near the end as Glenn was evidently tired and gave the ball away needlessly. not that I am knocking murray, he played well on the whole. Just think he looked shattered at the end! Could of utilised nickys pace.

Agreed!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I get the feeling that Poyet is already building for next seaon, confident in the knowledge that his side (patched up with some quaility loan signings) will comfortably do enough to avoid the drop this term.
To that extent, he's looking to the future. If he'd played Forster in these situations just because he's a great player and is contracted to play, it wouldn't be very forward thinking. Imagine if Forster was crocked (or not even here) next season and Holroyd was played in his place as a supersub. We don't want to be finding out that Holyroyd isn't up to the job Poyet had in mind in September or October. If he's struggling, we need to know now.
Personally I suspect Forster will be offered another year in the summer anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I just dont get the logic of bringing this baby faced assassin on with 20 minutes to go over Forster.

you dont understand bringing on a player to play wide rather than someone you know will drift in following a career as center forward? kept the shape and tactics but with some frsh legs.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think he should have come on yesterday to give their oafs at the back something else to think about but hey would have settled for a point before the game

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
I get the feeling that Poyet is already building for next seaon, confident in the knowledge that his side (patched up with some quaility loan signings) will comfortably do enough to avoid the drop this term.
To that extent, he's looking to the future. If he'd played Forster in these situations just because he's a great player and is contracted to play, it wouldn't be very forward thinking. Imagine if Forster was crocked (or not even here) next season and Holroyd was played in his place as a supersub. We don't want to be finding out that Holyroyd isn't up to the job Poyet had in mind in September or October. If he's struggling, we need to know now.

Eggsactly - my sentiments too. How are we going to have a 'player for the future' if he's not given some experience now?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
You think? Maybe; I'm not at all sure. I doubt our Gussypoos is one to bear grudges or anything playground like that but he can't have been impressed with his antics recently.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I can see the arguments for and against Holdroyd or Foster coming on last night but personally I would have brought on NF during the last 10 mins to try to nick a goal as it was pretty obvious that we werent going to score. Perhaps Glen Murrays defending ability helped us get a point that NF may not have done. That is why Gus is the manager to make theses decisions some will be right some will be wrong but generally he is right in most cases whether we agree or not.

thealbionfan

Oct 6, 2003
Now dont get me wrong this is not a Gus Poyet whinge fest because i am one of his biggest fans. The transformation since he took over performance wise has been immense. A ridiculously leaky defence has shut up shop over recent weeks and were slowly climbing the table.

My only concern is regarding Nicky Forster. Now as far as im aware the recent issues between the pair have been resolved but yet in a matter of a month he has gone from guarenteed starter to third choice behind Murray and Holroyd. I just dont get the logic of bringing this baby faced assassin on with 20 minutes to go over Forster. Im not knocking Hoyroyd but hes one for the future. Forster has done it year after year and over the past two seasons if it wasnt for his goals we would be in deep shit. Gus cleary doesnt have plans for Nicky beyond this season but hes contracted till the summer, but you know he can score goals so he must be utilized ahead of Hoyroyd in my opinion.

I feel really sad for Nicky. Granted he may not have handled this contract dispute greatly but aside from that hes been immense for us. £75,000 was a snip 3 years ago and he's paid that back with his goals playing in quite frankly a mediocre team in recent times. Im not saying he is owed another contract it just seems to me he's been cast aside in a manner not befitting his worth

Spot on...I totally agree!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You think? Maybe; I'm not at all sure. I doubt our Gussypoos is one to bear grudges or anything playground like that but he can't have been impressed with his antics recently.
No I'm not sure either, but my guess is that he'll be offered a one year deal based on:
* the fact that he's good enough to have some sort of role in a play-off chasing squad.
* I doubt Forster will be offered a significantly better two-year deal anywhere else in this part of the country.
* If I was Forster, I'd probably take the year on offer (if it is), while I work out what to do next with my life

So just an educated guess on my part.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
you dont understand bringing on a player to play wide rather than someone you know will drift in following a career as center forward? kept the shape and tactics but with some frsh legs.

I'm pretty sure when Holdroyd came on we played 2 up, and to me he was pretty ineffective. Not that i'm having a go at the kid, or Gus for bringing him on, i just don't believe that is why he was brought on instead of Forster.

Although in that respect, I have no problem with that particular change, like others i would just like to have seen NF come on for Murray with 15 mins left, not sure their lanky pair at the back would have coped well. As Elphick said after, the pitch was very heavy on the legs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here