Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Clegg which way will he go?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Whatever the policy calculations the LibDems couldn't possibly risk being perceived as "propping up a worn-out party that had been rejected by the electorate". In the inevitable second election in a few months' time the Tories would finish the job - as Labour did in 1974 - and the LibDems would be back in phone box formation. But if Clegg supported the Tories on an issue-by-issue basis, with Vince sweeping in and out of Number 11 every other day, they would be seen as Moderating Agents of Change when Election Number 2 came round. It's a no-brainer for Clegg whatever his hairy-toed activists might think.

You could make exactly the same argument with the boot on the other foot as well. If Labour end up with most seats, it would not be unreasonable to make the claim that the electorate had rejected the Tories.

Works both ways.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
The Liberals are an embarrasment and have possibly the best opportunity in history to make an impact, with Labour and Conservatives in turmoil all they can talk about is holding the balance of power, if Ashdown was in power they would be going for the glory and even if they fell short they would progress the party. Clegg is weak and ineffective and the party should be disbanded and the mantle of 3rd party handed over to another party

larus

I'm no Tory but i do think there's something wrong with the electoral system where a 6% lead for labour would give them a majority of roughly 100, but the same for the tories gives them a 1 seat advantage in a hung parliament.

I think this is scandelous. Imagine the outcry if this was the other way round. Hopefully, when the Tories get in, they'll review the current boudaries. Also, the rights of MP's in devolved areas of the UK to vote on policies which don't affect them.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I think this is scandelous. Imagine the outcry if this was the other way round. Hopefully, when the Tories get in, they'll review the current boudaries. Also, the rights of MP's in devolved areas of the UK to vote on policies which don't affect them.

I don't think the nature of the boundaries is really the major issue, save in the exceptional circumstance of, say, one London constituency being a staunch Labour area butted up next to another staunch Tory area.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
You could make exactly the same argument with the boot on the other foot as well. If Labour end up with most seats, it would not be unreasonable to make the claim that the electorate had rejected the Tories.

Works both ways.

Not sure you're right. The march of history is moving towards the Tories at the moment and the LibDems would be damaged by a perception that they were trying to stop it.

I'm not a Tory-voter for what it's worth.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with Lincoln's analysis of the integrity of the situation - but I think you overestimate that quality with Clegg, and politicians in general. If Labour give him a better offer - a couple of concessions here, a Cabinet post there - watch him sign up.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
To be fair, if Clegg finds himself with a casting vote, he should be pushing to have a Lib Dem chancellor. And, I think I would trust Vince Cable with the economoy a little bit more than the othe two.

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Bang on strings, he is the most credible would be chancellor in parliament.

And I wonder what odds you would get on Vince Cable being the next c of e?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Seats.

Norman Baker for Transport Minister or Environment Secretary, anyone?

Cart tracks for roads in Sussex for the rest of my life then:angry:

As for the main question, Philip Hammond (Tory spokesman) and Vince Cable were getting along like a house on fire on Newsnight last night, while Liam Byrne, the Labour spokesman, sounded like a front man for a group on its way out. However much they shout at each other in public, I suspect that talks have been going on between Cameron and Clegg in private.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What was he like, Hammond? He's my MP.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I think the Lib dems have a lot to offer, particularly Vince Cable. I expect them to do well in the election as a lot of people who voted labour may vote lib dem eather than conservative, particularly when the conservative policies actually start to get picked at.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It's very hard to see how the LIBERAL party could be in coalition with perhaps the most authoritarian government this country has ever seen. Despite being left wing, I think they may be considerably more suited to an alliance with the tories.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
What of course will seal it for Labour is if they offer the Lib Dems PR, which seems to be their only real policy. They have always seemed to me like the kid who had to have the penalty spot moved closer to the goal in the school football game so he had a chance to score. To me, if they can't win under the current rules, that's tough. The other two parties manage. Under the current system, you can throw a government out. With PR, you get a government no-one voted for.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What of course will seal it for Labour is if they offer the Lib Dems PR, which seems to be their only real policy. They have always seemed to me like the kid who had to have the penalty spot moved closer to the goal in the school football game so he had a chance to score. To me, if they can't win under the current rules, that's tough. The other two parties manage. Under the current system, you can throw a government out. With PR, you get a government no-one voted for.

But half of the reason they can't get in is because so many people think "they can't get in so there's no point in me voting for them". It's a vicious circle. I think a lot more people would vote for them, given that they seem considerably less toff-centred than labour and the tories, if they thought they had a chance. It's basically tactical voting on a large scale!

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
That will be Stephen Hammond, MP for Wimbledon, who I think is a transport spokesman. Philip Hammond is MP for Runnymede and Weybridge. He is okay, but is no Ken Clarke.

See how you mislead people with your name, Tooting?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here