Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Clegg Looks to be Honourable!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
BBC-
BREAKING NEWS

Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg says he sticks to his view that the party with most votes and seats - the Conservatives - should seek to form a government.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
.. but I'd imagine he'd be looking for something in return for that, something along the lines of a referendum on the voting system.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
.. but I'd imagine he'd be looking for something in return for that, something along the lines of a referendum on the voting system.

You betcha

I saw an interesting suggestion from the bloke from the Mirror who said that Cameron would agree to that but campaign against PR.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I could see Cameron offering them Government time for them to introduce a bill on electoral reform, though not promising to vote for it. Most probably safe in the knowledge that he would call another (FPTP) election before the Bill had been passed.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I could see Cameron offering them Government time for them to introduce a bill on electoral reform, though not promising to vote for it. Most probably safe in the knowledge that he would call another (FPTP) election before the Bill had been passed.

He could do that but I'm not sure that would be the best move. I don't think that the electorate would appreciate such double-dealing. I think Clegg would get a sympathy vote for that

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Make it up as you go along politics from clegg there.

It is up to the incumbent government to seek to form a coalition. If Clegg thinks this will get him pr he is gravely mistaken.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not really. he made his position clear weeks ago.

Brown will approach Clegg, Clegg will say no. Clegg and Cameron will then try and thrash out a deal and Clegg will return to Labour led by a new person if it can't be done.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

It is up to the incumbent government to seek to form a coalition. If Clegg thinks this will get him pr he is gravely mistaken.

How can you say that? Clegg has said what he believes before the result, and is now sticking with it.

I'm sure we can all imagine that Brown will prostitute himself and his party to try to cling onto power by his finger nails - given half a chance, but the people have spoken and made it very clear than "New" Labour and their un-elected PM (not even by his own Party!) is rejected.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Clegg has hammered the final nail in Brown's coffin. Brown was talking about bringing civil servants into the negotiating process and Clegg whipped the rug from beneath his feet. Brown will resign and Cameron will need to play nicely with Lib Dems. Lib Dems will be disappointed with last night but will benefit very nicely from the result in the long term. Clegg has charisma and appears to have integrity and if he had been leading the Tories they would have had an overall majority in my opinion

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
You may well be right on the rest but that's not true at all. He was elected unanimously by the Labour party.

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong hon (!), but didn't Blair formally hand the leadership over to Brown - just prior to his own resignation from Parliament 3 years ago?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong hon (!), but didn't Blair formally hand the leadership over to Brown - just prior to his own resignation from Parliament 3 years ago?

No. There has to be an election of the leader of the Labour party. Nominations were sought and Gordon Brown was the only name nominated so therefore was elected unanimously.

No.

UNder the Labour leadership contest, MP's need to obtain a minimum level of support from other mp's to be put into the Leadership contest. None of the other Labour MP's obtained a mandate to stand against Brown.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
"New" Labour and their un-elected PM (not even by his own Party!) is rejected.

Un-elected because no one from his party chose to stand against him. Do you think they should have held an election with only one candidate! As for electing a PM, no one yesterday voted for a prime minister, you voted for a candidate in your constituency. Cameron could be the next PM and then be challenged within his own party.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Thanks for the clarification there chaps. No wonder I couldn't remember the 'contest'! :lolol:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
As for Clegg, he should form an alliance with whomever is closest to his own ideals and policies. That would show integrity.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Clegg has hammered the final nail in Brown's coffin. Brown was talking about bringing civil servants into the negotiating process and Clegg whipped the rug from beneath his feet. Brown will resign and Cameron will need to play nicely with Lib Dems. Lib Dems will be disappointed with last night but will benefit very nicely from the result in the long term. Clegg has charisma and appears to have integrity and if he had been leading the Tories they would have had an overall majority in my opinion

Is I think the right answer. Clegg knew that the "witches" of Labour including that slug Peter Hain were beckoning him over to shore up Gordy, but Brown is a busted flush.

It's down to DC to make the first moves, there are a lot of potential supporters in Ulster and maybe even the Scots Nats who might co-operate for a price.

Nick must use the anger generated by all the cock-ups in the election yesterday, to demand a Parliamentary Commission on electoral reform, but that would take time.

A Tory supporter here in Lewes constituency leaned out of his car this morning and jeered to me "See you in 6 months!!" Sugarman lost badly here, at a reputed cost of £200k to Tory finances.

Waterson in Eastbourne lost too, but he had fallen out with Tory Central Office and could only get his old flame Widdy to come and campaign for him in the final days. No doubt Eatbourne Tories will rush to get a new candidate in place, I'll give you 5-1 it will be a local lesbian.

You may well be right on the rest but that's not true at all. He was elected unanimously by the Labour party.

Really?:eek: How many members VOTED for him as leader.

Answer - NONE

brown was never elected as leader. The

John McDonnell and Gordon Brown were the only candidates as the election process began with the nominations round. In order to secure a place on the ballot paper, candidates needed to submit their nominations to the NEC by 17 May supported by at least 12.5% of Labour MPs (45 Labour MPs, including the candidate themselves). Gordon Brown, the only successfully nominated candidate, was declared leader at a special Labour conference on 24 June 2007.[

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really?:eek: How many members VOTED for him as leader.

Answer - NONE

brown was never elected as leader. The

John McDonnell and Gordon Brown were the only candidates as the election process began with the nominations round. In order to secure a place on the ballot paper, candidates needed to submit their nominations to the NEC by 17 May supported by at least 12.5% of Labour MPs (45 Labour MPs, including the candidate themselves). Gordon Brown, the only successfully nominated candidate, was declared leader at a special Labour conference on 24 June 2007.[

There was an election called, no-one stood against him, so he was elected unanimously.

"Unanimous adj. - Based on or characterized by complete assent or agreement"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here