Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicholas in the Argus

Les Biehn said:
IIn terms of his crab like passing, that is no different to Hammond except Nicolas usually retains possesion.

I disagree strongly with that. Hammond's strength is that he has the confidence to carry the ball forward in possession and then make the pass - and that's what got him selected over the likes of Charlie Oatway earlier in this season. Nicolas to me lacks confidence in possession and is always looking to transfer the ball and hence the responsiblity on to somene else. With his skills and technical ability, Alexis should be more of a playmaker, but to me he has always looked like a responsibility shifter.

Last edited:

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
Les Biehn said:
I think with Nicolas the more physical side of his game will improve with playing. He seems a fairly intelligent player so will no doubt begin to step it up a bit harder when he realises he needs to to survive. The thing is it is easier to improve a player physically then ability wise. I also believe MM's strengths are in getting the best out of players physically, Nicolas already has the ability.

In terms of his crab like passing, that is no different to Hammond except Nicolas usually retains possesion. So play them together as Nicolas will hold onto the ball and Hammond can concentrate on what he is good at, namely his forward running. Not only do I believe Nicolas will improve in this area the more he plays but Reid and Frutos are both good passers when moving forward and if we have that target man crossing will be essential. Not only this but a lot of Hammond's goals seem to be the result of wing play, so if he is free to get forward and the creative stuff is coming from the wings then we could benefit in that way to.

Yes I agree - a midfield of Nicolas, Reid, Hammond and Frutos is refreshing (and does not contain Oatway and Carpenter). Will Mcghee play them? They could have done well this year.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
London Irish said:
I disagree strongly with that. Hammond's strength is that he has the confidence to carry the ball forward in possession and then make the pass - and that's what got him selected over the likes of Charlie Oatway earlier in this season. Nicolas to me lacks confidence in possession and is always looking to transfer the ball and hence the responsiblity on to somene else. With his skills and technical ability, Alexis should be more of a playmaker, but to me he has always looked like a responsibility shifter.

As a fellow member of the Greek Cypriot community I must tell you that are a not seeing things correctly. Alexis passes sideways after looking around at the best option. As on most occasions no one is moving into space in front of him, he passes sideways or backwards rather than lose possession. Or would you rather he lump the ball aimlessly forwards like so many of our other players do. Get a bit more movement going and wil be the playmaker we all desire. McGhee's teams are characterised by poor movement (but to be fair, also by good passing; at least up to the standard the players avaialbel can manage).

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:

I think we will just have to agree to disagree when it comes to Hammond's passing ability. I think his strength lies in his running off the ball. Having seen Nicolas I think he will become more dynamic the more chance he gets to settle into the team, i.e start of 2004/05 season.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Dr Bandler said:
As a fellow member of the Greek Cypriot community I must tell you that are a not seeing things correctly. Alexis passes sideways after looking around at the best option. As on most occasions no one is moving into space in front of him, he passes sideways or backwards rather than lose possession. Or would you rather he lump the ball aimlessly forwards like so many of our other players do. Get a bit more movement going and wil be the playmaker we all desire.

Agree with this 100%. And if we have a target man more space will open up for the forward runs of Hammond, the wingers and CKR giving Nicolas more options. Another reason to free Hammond up and why him and Nicolas could work well together.

Last edited:

Dr Bandler said:
As a fellow member of the Greek Cypriot community I must tell you that are a not seeing things correctly. Alexis passes sideways after looking around at the best option. As on most occasions no one is moving into space in front of him, he passes sideways or backwards rather than lose possession. Or would you rather he lump the ball aimlessly forwards like so many of our other players do. Get a bit more movement going and wil be the playmaker we all desire. McGhee's teams are characterised by poor movement (but to be fair, also by good passing; at least up to the standard the players avaialbel can manage).

Fair play to you for speaking up for your countryman and I don't doubt there is a lot in what you say - but we have to be pragmatic.

McGhee tried his damndest to play a more fluid passing style this season but it didn't work ultimately because we probably did not have the quality of player to acheive it.

I don't want Alexis to aimlessly lump the ball forward, but what I would have liked to have seen from him is more risk-taking and ambition in his passing to accurately find the channels our forwards and advanced midfielders are running into. He plays the game in a certain way, good players I feel must be adaptable and flexible and sometimes compromise their own style in the overall interests of the team. It's that lack of flexibility that I think has seen him lose out in the tough midfield selection decisions this season.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It wasa quite interesting on Saturday that we passed it very well through midfield and Nicholas was certainly in the middle of most of what was good in there.

Lynch was a different class I thought

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Fair play to you for speaking up for your countryman and I don't doubt there is a lot in what you say - but we have to be pragmatic.

McGhee tried his damndest to play a more fluid passing style this season but it didn't work ultimately because we probably did not have the quality of player to acheive it.

I don't want Alexis to aimlessly lump the ball forward, but what I would have liked to have seen from him is more risk-taking and ambition in his passing to accurately find the channels our forwards and advanced midfielders are running into. He plays the game in a certain way, good players I feel must be adaptable and flexible and sometimes compromise their own style in the overall interests of the team. It's that lack of flexibility that I think has seen him lose out in the tough midfield selection decisions this season.

I think the performances of Hammond and Carpenter have shown they are not flexible. I like most people thought Carpenter could do that holding role but as 555Kaz has suggested to me perhaps this isn't his natural game, he certainly looks more comfortable pushing towards the edge of the opposition area than sitting back.

The fluid passing never worked because we didn't have the passing midfielder or experienced, clever striker we needed to play it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Hammond seems to have his best games when not playing in the centre.... his effective performances last season came when he was playing on the left which also allowed him to get forward and arrive late in the box.... most of his goals scored from headers

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I seem to recall that quite a few on here expected Hammond to be the next after Virgs and Harding to be snapped up by a bigger club. Maybe he just needs a couple of goals and to be playing in a team that isn't on the backfoot from 1 minute into the game with slow old men around him, or Frenchmen who can't defend? Confidence is such a big part of a players game and I don't belive he's gone from promising goalscoring young star to a waste of space in 8 months.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
blockhseagull said:
Hammond seems to have his best games when not playing in the centre.... his effective performances last season came when he was playing on the left which also allowed him to get forward and arrive late in the box.... most of his goals scored from headers

I think he could play in the middle if one of Reid or Frutos, depending on the way the move is panning out, was required to drop back into the centre if Hammond is pushing forward.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Les Biehn said:
I think he could play in the middle if one of Reid or Frutos, depending on the way the move is panning out, was required to drop back into the centre if Hammond is pushing forward.

Maybe, although i would like to see Reid and Nicolas in the middle, possibly are best two passers of the ball

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
blockhseagull said:
Maybe, although i would like to see Reid and Nicolas in the middle, possibly are best two passers of the ball

I know what you mean.

Carole Reid Nicolas Hammond would also be an interesting midfield combo.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I prefer Fruity, think he is a more intelligent and direct player. But if he was injured or tactically it would be beneficial I would understand playing the formation with Carole in. If you had Fruity on the left and Nicolas and Reid in the middle who would you play on the right?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
B.M.F said:
I think your comments are harsh Dwayne. He has hardly played and thus it is going to take time to get back up to match fitness and pace so he is going to be rusty. What he did do in the few games he did play was hold the ball up and not waste the ball all the time. He has got vision, tackling, passing and natural ability. I hope he stays as he has the attributes to be a very very good player but would not blame him if he walked.
cretins on here say the same about fredrico,but jesus christ has he had a run,has he f*** but they still slagg him off.surely you have to have a good run in 1st team b4 you get slated on here,but alas it seems not

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Les Biehn said:
I prefer Fruity, think he is a more intelligent and direct player. But if he was injured or tactically it would be beneficial I would understand playing the formation with Carole in. If you had Fruity on the left and Nicolas and Reid in the middle who would you play on the right?

Personally, i would start with Hammond... he can track back well and seems to make intelligent runs from wide areas into the box..... then we always have Harty to come on if we need to push on

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Nicolas is a type of midfielder that we don't really need at the moment.

He's at is best breaking up play and making the simple pass.

What Dr Bandler suggests is probably the case, too often the simple pass isn't the most attacking pass as the movement ahead isn't there.

I think Nicolas does have his place in the squad, but in order for him to fit we need a target man.

I can see him sitting in behind Chippy and Hammond in a 4-5-1.

In a 4-4-2 I think the onus is on him to do more going forward with the ball and I'd agree that McGhee and his staff could and should have coached this into him.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I remember reading an interview with Gary O'Neil who said Paul Merson advised him that if you are just breaking into the team, have been out with injury or signed for a new club you best bet is not to try anything to ambitious, just keep it tight and play the simple ball. Eventually you will begin to play yourself into games. Well if you are only getting your chance every 5 months you will constantly be starting over again like this. As we saw with Nicolas when he first came given an extended run he will start to be more adventurous but if he only gets 4 games and 2 are as sub what do people expect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here