Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice country pub suggestions (taking missus tonight)

simon101

and smith MUST score
Aug 4, 2009
lewes
i think the least you can do after all these suggestions, is to make sure we all know where you went, how the food was ........................... and how the evening ended :smokin:

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
i think the least you can do after all these suggestions, is to make sure we all know where you went, how the food was ........................... and how the evening ended :smokin:

The Dog & Shepherd, Fulking is getting the vote as my old man also backed this pub.

I will give a review of how the evening went!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

The Dog & Shepherd, Fulking is getting the vote as my old man also backed this pub.

I will give a review of how the evening went!!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated.

Nice garden especially in the summer evenings. Get there as early as you can for service and parking.
It's got the right country atmosphere, and if you want to enhance the experience then take a stroll alongside the field above the pub, where there are Thompson's Sheep (look like goats, curled horns and larger than regular sheepses).

The path leads up the Fulking Escarpment, which offers a view over the village and the fields to Henfield and beyond.
It's an ambitious climb up to the top and the Dyke Inn, which would be better done on a weekend day - and the paragliders make quite a nice picture floating over the Downs too.

Last edited:

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Always found the Rose Cottage at Alciston (nr Selmeston) pleasent but havent been for a few years now. Also Tiger Inn at East Deans a good shout.

I went to the rose cottage about 2 months ago, best meal i have had for a long time.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I Go to quite a few country pubs around the Lewes area.

The Ram at Firle is ok but incredibly expensive and it's full of luvvies in their Mercs and 4 x 4's
Green man in Ringmer is good
Barley Mo at Selmeston is good
Rose Cottage at Alciston is good
The Yew Tree at Arlingtion is awesome but you may need to book
Berwick inn is good
Yew Tree at Chalvington is good
The Cricketers arms at Berwick is good

Also,...worth a look are

Plough Inn, Plumpton Green
The Lamb, Ripe
The Kings Head, North Chailey

There's a few decent ones for you.

Last edited:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Golden Galleon, Cuckmere Valley. Good place for impressing the ladies; leg over & chips?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Buxted Inn, Buxted
The Hurstwood, High Hurstwood
The Star Inn, Old Heathfield
The Hatch Inn, Colemans Hatch
The Griffin, Fletching
The Chequers, Maresfield (Marco Pierre White's place)

The Hatch is excellent.
I would also recommend the Horse and Groom in Rushlake Green

The Ram at Firle is ok but incredibly expensive and it's full of luvvies in their Mercs and 4 x 4's

Yep. Us locals always try to persuade folk that the food is over-priced and disappointing, the beer is flat and you can't get a seat. It never works.

I still reckon the best time to visit the Ram is a Monday night when the chef is off, though.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The Sussex Ox at Wilmington, or if you want to venture further afield, the Fountain at Ashurst (as recommended to me by Jack Straw).

MikeySmall

Jul 7, 2003
BRIGHTON
Thirded. Better than the Shepherd & Dog IMHO and just up the road. Once upon a time the S&H was THE place to go just outside Brighton but, apart from it's garden, don't think it justifies that any more

I worked there in my youth when it was very popular. When back last year and it was crap. Over priced and trying to be more like a wine bar than a pub. Great shame. The Royal Oak is much better IMHO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here