Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice Beach

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
That's St Maarten OK. It's usually fine, except when there are hurricanes around...I go there a couple of times a year to get to a job on St Barths, the next door island. Now THAT'S a hairy landing!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The Northstander said:
:eek:

That is not right!!! Surely!!! I mean look how that Hydraulics cable is not on tight enuff!! JEEZ!!

Beat me to it, just what I was going to say LOL LOL

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There is a fence, you can see it.

When you land at Heraklion on Crete, the runway starts at the cliff edge

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
The Large One said:
That airport shot isn't fake, but it doesn't follow that that is the same airport as the two pics at the top of the thread.

Also, aside from the shadows being totally wrong, the planes are far too low for a landing approach. They land about one third of the way along the runway. Looking at those pictures, they'll only just clear the perimeter fence.

Also, a plane that low would deafen anyone that close, but no-one has their hands over their ears.

Remember that at that point the plane is practically gliding-it's not like the noise from take-off until the reverse thrusters are deployed way down the runway...

Try this one...they're genuine

sxm2.jpg.11351.jpg

Last edited:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The Large One said:
Tthe planes are far too low for a landing approach. They land about one third of the way along the runway.

Standard approach is 3 degrees (no, not the singers)

Pilots will land ASAP after clearing the "runway threshold" (this is the piano-keys markings at each end). This is a particularly precision task where the runway length is close to the max for the type of aircraft and its landing weight.

One observation, I presume there are no night landings since the approach lights would have to be out to sea.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
I notice there aren't any other 747 / jumbos on the ground?

Whilst I dont doubt the place exists and its fully active, I can't see them sticking a 747 down there - no way enough room!

Looks like the guy only has pics of KLM planes as well...

As for Heraklion - seconded there! Scared the @rse off me as all i could see on my side of the plane was the open sea as we were coming in.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
bloody hell, what a beach!:)

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Faldo said:

Looks like the guy only has pics of KLM planes as well...

Remember-it's the Dutch Antilles....

PR_AF340SXM.jpg.56961.jpg

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Faldo said:
Fair enough!

That 'DANGER' sign is brilliant!

Check the 'JetWash' video in Crawley Boy's link-then you can see the real thing: people on the beach being blasted off the beach:eek: :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here