Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Niagra falls

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
One fifth of all the fresh water in the world lies in the four Upper Great Lakes-Michigan, Huron, Superior and Erie. All the outflow empties into the Niagara river and eventually cascades over
the falls.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Why is fresh water fresh? how does it lose the salt?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think that it loses the salt when it evaporates to form clouds, which then move over land and release their contents to fall down to Earth, be that as rain, hail or snow.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I visited the falls from the Canadian side, pretty impressive, it was Easter and they were still frozen round the edges although there was water flowing through the middle and over both falls.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Freezes around the edges, plus the river freezes upstream of the falls, don't know if the falls have ever been totally frozen. The day I went to see them it was freezing cold, we went over to the US side to go shopping and it was snowing most of the time we were there.

BendyThumbs

Feb 26, 2005
Toronto
-

Naw it never freezes over. Too much water rushing at such a fast pace.

If you really want a laugh then you should look up the stories about the people who go over the falls in barrells!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've seen it from both sides with the Canadian Falls being far bigger than the American Fall (sort of annoys some Yanks).

The ride on the Maid of the Mist (the boat that sails right up to the falls) is an amazing experience and worth the trip IMHO.

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
bhaexpress said:
The ride on the Maid of the Mist (the boat that sails right up to the falls) is an amazing experience and worth the trip IMHO.
Good advice, too fully appreciate the falls to the Maid of Mist, unfortunately the resort itself is tacky - bit like Blackpool with no real soul to the place, but the falls are awesome.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Albaman said:
Good advice, too fully appreciate the falls to the Maid of Mist, unfortunately the resort itself is tacky - bit like Blackpool with no real soul to the place, but the falls are awesome.

You're so right, the 'Resort' is very tacky. However, having a meal in the restaurant beside the Canadian Falls is a great place to eat. The food isn't too bad nor are the prices but the view is near on impossible to beat.

The walk behind the Falls is a bit of a waste of time.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Gully said:
Freezes around the edges, plus the river freezes upstream of the falls, don't know if the falls have ever been totally frozen. The day I went to see them it was freezing cold, we went over to the US side to go shopping and it was snowing most of the time we were there.

pgx_19.jpg

We're staying here next year

pgx_4.jpg

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
gazwag said:
pgx_19.jpg

We're staying here next year

pgx_4.jpg

Good call :clap: :clap: If you hire a car there's a great Safari Park not that far away. You will get bored with Niagara itself in a very short time though, there's not much there apart from the falls. A trip on the People Mover Bus takes you down the river and the rapids are interesting though.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
bhaexpress said:
Good call :clap: :clap: If you hire a car there's a great Safari Park not that far away. You will get bored with Niagara itself in a very short time though, there's not much there apart from the falls. A trip on the People Mover Bus takes you down the river and the rapids are interesting though.

:thumbsup:

my daughter want to be a trainer for the day at the aquarium on the american side - is it easy to go from one side of the border to the other

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here