Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Niagara flying in and out of Toronto

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Like others have said it is a bit of a tacky circus but if you have even a mild passing interest in natural geographical/geological wonders then 100% do it.

The boat trip [Maids of the mist] and or walk behind the horsehoe falls is incredible. The force and volume of the water is absolutely astonishing.
Agreed on maid of the mist - incredible.

Was there last September on the US side - seems to be a magnet for Indian tourists strangely. Would recommend driving on somewhere else - we went from Syracuse in the morning > Niagara > Allegany State Park

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Yes please Badger

A few things worth doing/seeing:

CN Tower - this is obvious one for tourists but it is worth doing.
The Toronto Islands - You can catch a ferry from the waterfront to The Islands, you pay for the ticket out and it's free to come back. It's a great place to walk around with beaches on the far side and various cafes.
The Beaches neighbourhood - Queen Street East, to the east of Woodbine. This is a really nice area, you can walk down to the boardwalk on the water or stick to Queen St E for shops, bars, cafes. I actually did this yesterday.
High Park - A big park in the west end of the city (my neighbourhood) next to the Humber River. There's some good wildlife and even a little zoo. If you're in that neighbourhood I'd recommend Roncesvalles Ave. too.
Rogers Centre (Skydome) - Catching a Blue Jays game is always fun. They're not having the best season, so September tickets should be cheap. I'm happy enough with the cheapest seats and just wandering around during the game. Drinks are stupidly expensive, like most sports venues in North America.
Kensington Market - Toronto's answer to The North Laine. A couple of streets with a bit of a hipster feel. Vintage shops, interesting food, etc. Little Italy is a short walk from there too, if you like good Italian (and other) food.

If you're into beer I can give some breweries/brewpubs to visit too - Great Lakes Brewpub, Leftfield (2 locations), Indie Alehouse, Bar Volo, Collective Arts Taproom, Bellwoods.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

The Toronto Islands - You can catch a ferry from the waterfront to The Islands, you pay for the ticket out and it's free to come back. It's a great place to walk around with beaches on the far side and various cafes.
The Beaches neighbourhood - Queen Street East, to the east of Woodbine. This is a really nice area, you can walk down to the boardwalk on the water or stick to Queen St E for shops, bars, cafes. I actually did this yesterday.
High Park - A big park in the west end of the city (my neighbourhood) next to the Humber River. There's some good wildlife and even a little zoo. If you're in that neighbourhood I'd recommend Roncesvalles Ave. too.
Rogers Centre (Skydome) - Catching a Blue Jays game is always fun. They're not having the best season, so September tickets should be cheap. I'm happy enough with the cheapest seats and just wandering around during the game. Drinks are stupidly expensive, like most sports venues in North America.
Kensington Market - Toronto's answer to The North Laine. A couple of streets with a bit of a hipster feel. Vintage shops, interesting food, etc. Little Italy is a short walk from there too, if you like good Italian (and other) food.

If you're into beer I can give some breweries/brewpubs to visit too - Great Lakes Brewpub, Leftfield (2 locations), Indie Alehouse, Bar Volo, Collective Arts Taproom, Bellwoods.
Thanks Badger.

Any area to recommend for my hotel for the stay?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks Badger.

Any area to recommend for my hotel for the stay?

You're probably best off staying in the downtown core, which is where most of the hotels are. From Bloor Street W. down to the water, keeping close to University Ave or Yonge St (where the subway lines are). If you want to be right on the lake, there's the Westin Harbour Castle.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Don't forget Queen and Beaver to watch a Brighton game with us ;)

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Been there a couple of times so most been said, but would echo Niagara on the Lake, Blue Jays, and the falls themselves. The thunder of the water tumbling a foot from where you are standing is truly awesome, unlike the Diet Coke my son ordered at the Hard Rock Cafe on the other side, to which the waiter also replied awesome.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I dont know if its still there, as its been almost 20yrs since we last visited - but we stayed at the 3* Bond Hotel, just around the corner from the Eaton Centre on Dundas St E, & next to Yonge-Dundas Sq. Its also just a few minutes walk from Nathan Phillips Sq etc. & the rest of Downtown.
The Hockey Hall of Fame is worth a visit too....as is getting Tim Hortons coffee & doughnuts every morning!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
As others have mentioned, getting to a ballgame is worth doing. Even if you're not a baseball fan, just go and soak it all up. Rogers Centre has had some major renovations over the winter and the Blue Jays have a pretty full schedule at home in September, so you should be able to get tickets quite easily I would've thought. Beer, hot-dogs, nachos....Mmmmmmm.

You could also go crazy and stay at the Marriott, within the stadium, if you wanted to try something different.

Sept 3/4 vs Philadelphia Phillies
Sept 9/10/11 vs NY Mets
Sept 13/14/15 vs St Louis Cardinals
Sept 23/24/25 vs Boston Red Sox
Sept 27/28/29 vs Miami Marlins

The Maple Leafs ice hockey season doesn't start until October, but there may be some pre season games on while you're there. They usually play half a dozen games in the last 2 weeks of September, so maybe worth keeping an eye on to see if they're at home. Great fun to watch.

Last edited:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Like others have said it is a bit of a tacky circus but if you have even a mild passing interest in natural geographical/geological wonders then 100% do it.

The boat trip [Maids of the mist] and or walk behind the horsehoe falls is incredible. The force and volume of the water is absolutely astonishing.
Very much this. I even still have the gloriously tacky Maid of the Mist sliders

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I would go and see the Falls for a day, then head the other way and go up to the Algonquin NP around Haliburton for a couple of days....beautiful area.
This is great advice. Algonquin is so beautiful and unspoilt.

Looking at Niagara Falls was amazing but turning round and looking at the town was proof of just how tacky some natural sights have been turned into.

Day trip to the Falls from Toronto and spend the extra days in Algonquin or Huntsville area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here