Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL, Superbowl, is it really worth the hype??

Brightonia

Dec 7, 2012
Sussex by the sea
Egg chasing is one thing but chasing a brown egg wearing protective padded clothing and helmets is just a f***ing joke!

Shit sport, never worth the hype, it's bigged up every year to be something special when in reality it's a load of old crap!

Rant over, untill next year!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It may not be your sport but to others they like it a lot.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I have never understood american football. From what ive seen when watching i dont want to understand either. Very boring, too many stoppages. Poor mans rugby.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Personally I don't really "get" or like cricket. It takes way longer and has way more stoppages than American football, and lacks the athleticism or moments of excitement. And people on here are always going on about it. But each to their own, what harm does it do me?

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have never understood american football. From what ive seen when watching i dont want to understand either. Very boring, too many stoppages

This for me too , it's overally tactical and takes forever to stop up.

But if people enjoy it fair play to them.

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I watched the Super Bowl a few years ago in the Dominican Republic with about three hundred Americans, and tbh, the advert breaks were by far the most entertaining part of the evening.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its the american way to big something up. its their FA cup combined with a end of season top of the table decider, so its a big deal. though i really dont know why we hear about it over here. there's very little interest in the sport here and as someone who followed it in teen years i cant say i heard of the Ravens (new franchise i assume?). put it this way, i bet they dont talk of the Champions League final over there.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
its the american way to big something up. its their FA cup combined with a end of season top of the table decider, so its a big deal. though i really dont know why we hear about it over here. there's very little interest in the sport here and as someone who followed it in teen years i cant say i heard of the Ravens (new franchise i assume?). put it this way, i bet they dont talk of the Champions League final over there.

Was in NYC in May, the hispanic hotel staff we all very excited about the Champions League. Never really got NFL, but people pay big $$ to watch it week in, week out..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Three hours to complete 60 minutes of actual play is just ridiculous.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
The difference with Rugby is the players in American Football are far, far more powerful and athletic. Yes, there are some in Rugby who are monsters but there are very few guys weighing 16/17 stone or more who can run 60 yards in 5 seconds, whereas they're ten a penny in American Football. There is an argument that the protective gear they wear has actually increased the number of injuries, somewhat like the wearing of gloves in boxing after bareknuckle fighting was banned. I appreciate American Football more now I understand the rules and the tactics, however I do get the OP's argument; I used to agree.

D

Deleted member 22389

Three hours to complete 60 minutes of actual play is just ridiculous.

If they could stop all this time out business and speed things up, it might be a bit more entertaining for me. What are they doing in these time outs, because in the same time I could have made a cup of tea and eaton a sandwich lol. May be someone who likes American Football can explain what they do in these time outs.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I don't really "get" or like cricket. It takes way longer and has way more stoppages than American football, and lacks the athleticism or moments of excitement. And people on here are always going on about it. But each to their own, what harm does it do me?
Agreed. I can't stand motor racing, for me Formula One is the most pointless and boring of sports, but I know others on here love it. It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same things wouldn't it? Personally I love 'American' football and I have since Channel 4 first started broadcasting it, indeed if you put a gun to my head and said I could only watch one sport on TV from now till I die I'd choose Gridiron (and Rugby Union would probably come second!)

Pissed off this morning as, being a Browns fan, I hate the Ravens more than the average Brighton fan hates Palace. That should have been OUR team!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Someone backed the 49er's me thinks.

Why else would someone rant over something apparently they wouldn't watch or take any interest in because they don't like it?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Internet user in "I don't like something so why would anyone else?" SHOCKER

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here