Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL......Dont you just love the Yanks.......

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
Er, yes...I think there might be a bit of a queue...I'll let you know. :) I'm already seriously in his debt after being ludicrously-well fed and watered by him backstage at St Mary's when we last played there. I even got to meet Francis Benali. :love:
Bloody hell, a REALLY close relative. I've just remembered your surname ...

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
chez said:
The Giants V Dolphins game at Wembley in October has already had over 120 thousand applications. I think its already pretty much caught on.

Depends what you mean by catch on. I'd think it means more that the sport is taken up and followed by people on a par with other major sports. Filling a stadium for a one-off exhibition game doesn't really mean much to my mind. All things have their enthusiasts, but American Football is far from a major sport.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Shizuoka Dolphin said:
Depends what you mean by catch on. I'd think it means more that the sport is taken up and followed by people on a par with other major sports. Filling a stadium for a one-off exhibition game doesn't really mean much to my mind. All things have their enthusiasts, but American Football is far from a major sport.

Yeah I appreciate that it will never rival football, but people I know, probably due to us being southerners much prefer American Football to either type of rugby for example.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brovian said:
Bloody hell, a REALLY close relative. I've just remembered your surname ...
He's my cousin. And, aged 18, I vomited pound-a-pint scrumpy all over the upstairs of his house. FACT. :basks pathetically in reflected glory:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
He's my cousin. And, aged 18, I vomited pound-a-pint scrumpy all over the upstairs of his house. FACT. :basks pathetically in reflected glory:
Wow! Can I be all nerdy and ask some questions? Firstly, how did he get into it? Secondly is Kevin as nice in real life as he appears to be on TV? And thirdly - how does he pronounce his surname? I thought it was HAL as in 2001 A Space Odessey, but I think I've heard Kevin say Hall-ling (as in Church hall). That could just be American pronunciation though, like Coh-lin Powell. Also last night there was a guy on there called 'Cecil' but Kev kept calling him SEECIL.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think that if there was an NFL match every year the stadium would always be full. I can't see it going much beyond that though.

I remember going to see the London Monarchs at Wembley and there was a great atmosphere, especially at the final when they beat the Barcelona Dragons, but there were also loads of free tickets floating around to swell the numbers.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
What really got on my tits was when they said 'everyone knows its the world greatest sport!' :angry: Watched 30seconds of the game and turned over! Boring! And why do they wear those stupid cloths! Just looks like a womens game of rugby!

Rant over

*Deep Breaths*

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
magoo said:
American football will not catch on over here. FAAACT!
They have already had 120,000 ticket request for the game in October. It was only announced last week.

Last edited:

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Pavilionaire said:
I think that if there was an NFL match every year the stadium would always be full. I can't see it going much beyond that though.

I remember going to see the London Monarchs at Wembley and there was a great atmosphere, especially at the final when they beat the Barcelona Dragons, but there were also loads of free tickets floating around to swell the numbers.

Mainly because 90% teams outside the NFL have very little talent. NFL is already watched by a hell of a lot of people over here.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Da Man Clay said:
They have already had 100,000 ticket request for the game in October. It was only announced last week.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but I wonder how many of those 100,000 are expat Yanks?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Or people going to see what all the fuss is about.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Da Man Clay said:
Mainly because 90% teams outside the NFL have very little talent.

Mainly because (at least) 90% off people outside of the NFL have very little interest in the sport.

People are always going to watch a one-off game being held at Wembley. I'd imagine if two major league baseball teams came over it'd sell out. It wouldn't mean that baseball's soundly become a major and popular sport.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Brovian said:
Wow! Can I be all nerdy and ask some questions? Firstly, how did he get into it? Secondly is Kevin as nice in real life as he appears to be on TV? And thirdly - how does he pronounce his surname? I thought it was HAL as in 2001 A Space Odessey, but I think I've heard Kevin say Hall-ling (as in Church hall). That could just be American pronunciation though, like Coh-lin Powell. Also last night there was a guy on there called 'Cecil' but Kev kept calling him SEECIL.
Check this out, oh Nick stalker: http://gbnflr.gratis-server.de/jpnick.htm. But I'd say he's always been sports-obsessed and always with a taste for obscure sports and obscure, dour football clubs - he used to really like Man City in the 70s, for example. It's quite funny to see him not liking the "glamour" NFL clubs - he can't stand "glamour" football clubs either.

Dunno about this Kevin (I don't have Sky) but I reckon they all get on well, I'll ask him. I think it is bloody hard work too, he does loads of working right through the night etc. On the third question, I can speak with a certain degree of authority: Halling, to rhyme with calling.

I'm biased of course but he really is a great bloke and a great laugh; I think that comes through on the telly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here