Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next seasons budget?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Don't you remember what Tony Bloom said about club finances when he took over as chairman?
1) I will finance the Falmer stadium build
2) I will continue to finance the ongoing losses associated with the club playing at Withdean
3) The club must and will be self-financing when it moves to the Falmer stadium

Did he mean immediately we get to Falmer ie from August 2011 or will he finance the first season, which seems more likely, and then expect the momentum to have kicked in and the club become self sufficient.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
[/B]

Did he mean immediately we get to Falmer ie from August 2011 or will he finance the first season, which seems more likely, and then expect the momentum to have kicked in and the club become self sufficient.
The club is already generating income from the new stadium in advance ticket sales and sponsorship deals and does not seem unreasonable to expect it to be self-financing as soon as we move out of Withdean. I believe that Tony Bloom will finance the new training complex though.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think it's an interesting speculating thread!!

I'd challenge a couple of comments. One about STH's not renewing I'm not sure. With monthly payment there is not really any effective renewal date, (house insurers got wise to this years ago) The upside for the club is they get the benefit of inertia (people just keep paying even if they don't attend week in week out) but if they do go on a bad run they risk people cancelling their DD mid season. I think they've taken a bit of a risk on this method, remains to be seen how it pans out.

I don't think our transfer and wages budget will be in top 6 or so. I' reckon it will be lower half and we will have to consolidate for a while. The notion of back to back promotions is pretty unusual and teams that do it usually have a pedigree which is somewhat better than ours. We have been saved by a great benefactor but we need to rebuild properly, Bloom won't fund rash buying (a la Man City) and regardless of his passion for the club he's not going to piss money away. For me mid table will be good for a couple of seasons and then push on - that's not to say we shouldn't try - look at Blackpool!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
People getting way too carried away, if i was offered lower mid table without a relegation scrap i think Gus and TB would be delighted.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I think it's an interesting speculating thread!!

I'd challenge a couple of comments. One about STH's not renewing I'm not sure. With monthly payment there is not really any effective renewal date, (house insurers got wise to this years ago) The upside for the club is they get the benefit of inertia (people just keep paying even if they don't attend week in week out) but if they do go on a bad run they risk people cancelling their DD mid season. I think they've taken a bit of a risk on this method, remains to be seen how it pans out.

I don't think our transfer and wages budget will be in top 6 or so. I' reckon it will be lower half and we will have to consolidate for a while. The notion of back to back promotions is pretty unusual and teams that do it usually have a pedigree which is somewhat better than ours. We have been saved by a great benefactor but we need to rebuild properly, Bloom won't fund rash buying (a la Man City) and regardless of his passion for the club he's not going to piss money away. For me mid table will be good for a couple of seasons and then push on - that's not to say we shouldn't try - look at Blackpool!
Have to disagree with that i'm affraid.
Blooms' and Poyet's ambitions are to get into the Premiership fairly quickly if they can. Can't see Poyet sticking around with a budget on the lower end of the scale and finishing mid table. I firmly believe our budget will be competitive around top 12 which will give Gus a reasonable chance. As for finishing in the Championship,there is no reason why we can't get into the playoffs. Look at Millwall who are not that far short. either.
Nothing worries me about the Championship as we are now on a level playing field with a top manager in place. The key is keeping hold of Gus.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I didn't say it but I think keeping Gus could be a problem if there's not the money to spend, but getting up to Premiership from Championship requires significantly more investment than getting out of this league. Bloom isn't Abramovich and I'm not sure he's going to want to increase the spending by the amount I think it might need (and I know promotion can be gained without it) all in one go. Gus will be getting courted for sure and may think an offer from a mid table Premiership team is less risky or better for his career than a mid table Championship side - I hope not as he's been our best for yonks and the relationship with Bloom appears brilliant.

I very much want to be wrong and seeing us vying for a play off berth or even better next season would be a dream come true!!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Don't you remember what Tony Bloom said about club finances when he took over as chairman?
1) I will finance the Falmer stadium build
2) I will continue to finance the ongoing losses associated with the club playing at Withdean
3) The club must and will be self-financing when it moves to the Falmer stadium

I was at the Seagulls over London meeting last year, where Tony Bloom also said, unambiguosly...

4) 'When we get to the Championship we'll have a top 6 budget'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I still think we are going to be targeted by agents due to the 'Bloom' factor, the fact they know how important next season for us and that we do HAVE the cash, I can see us missing out on a few occasions due to this and the fact the club won't be held to ransom by agents

[/B]

At his word I assume. I don't see the sense in TB using his personal wealth for "revenue" expenditure at the Amex in any season.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I was at the Seagulls over London meeting last year, where Tony Bloom also said, unambiguosly...

4) 'When we get to the Championship we'll have a top 6 budget'

It's number 3 which is the unknown for me. OK, so there's no debt but I've no idea what the operating costs of running the club from Falmer are going to be. Certainly a load higher than at Withdean, many many more staff I understand, players wages, transfer costs all going to be up. Gate revenue will be up a load but the TV money doesn't increase considerably I guess. So I don't know ... but I assumed it wouldn't allow us a top 6 budget so either I'm wrong or Bloom is prepared to turn a blind eye to the 3rd statement in order to keep the momentum going

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...3) The club must and will be self-financing when it moves to the Falmer stadium

This completely depends on how much, if any, money needs to come out of the football club revenues (which as discussed before are going to be hugely increased at The AMEX) to pay the stadium company.

This completely depends on how much, if any, money needs to come out of the football club revenues (which as discussed before are going to be hugely increased at The AMEX) to pay the stadium company.

Essentially the rent if, as under DK's chairmanship, the FC and the SC continue to be two separate legal entities? Tbh I haven't checked the CH register recently.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
Too many unknowns at the moment, even assuming we go up.

Will Glenn stay? If he does, he will cost a large signing on fee, but this is likely to be less than the cost of signing someone comparable or better.

Will Norwich, or someone else, still be trying to tempt Elliott away.

Will all those players who are out of contract, and who we want to keep, accept our terms?

Who are we prepared to let go?

Doubt if we shall know too many answers before the beginning of June at the earliest, apart from the obvious departures when promotion has been confirmed on the field.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Does the club receive money for playing in the Championship - and how much? And further to that, do we receive money if - if - we win the League 1 championship?

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
Does the club receive money for playing in the Championship - and how much? And further to that, do we receive money if - if - we win the League 1 championship?
There was a bit in the Argus saturday, said in div 1 we get total £950,000 from T.V. and prem league. In championship goes up to £4.5 million total!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here