Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I think Boris laid down his metal when he took the whip away from rebel MPs, some very well known and respected, after the failed bill. I do not think that many will try that again for some time to come, self preservation they call it.

But is that good BG?

MP's are elected to represent their constituency and all voters in it, not slavishly follow the commands of their great leader.

If what Boris wants is in conflict with the interests of their constituency it is their democratic duty to oppose him.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
But is that good BG?

MP's are elected to represent their constituency and all voters in it, not slavishly follow the commands of their great leader.

If what Boris wants is in conflict with the interests of their constituency it is their democratic duty to oppose him.

Clever, effective politics
Not good democracy..... but that is what Johnston and Cummings are all about.

There are insufficient checks and balances both within the Tory Party and (as a result of the Election) in Parliament to properly scrutinise forthcoming tory initiatives......

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Good article in the.voice of the right wing - the er, Guardian.

One former minister who survived on election night said the candidate who would ultimately win would be the one who told the truth. “Someone needs to be honest and say we got it wrong, say to the members you got it wrong. We have probably been a bit cowed into thinking that the left and Momentum will control everything in this contest just because we are now used to them doing so. But this defeat is so colossal that I think it will have shaken the kaleidoscope. The person we need is the person who can speak that truth. If not, we are finished

https://amp.theguardian.com/politic...ty?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

There are insufficient checks and balances both within the Tory Party and (as a result of the Election) in Parliament to properly scrutinise forthcoming tory initiatives......

Johnson [emoji106]

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Ken Clarke wonderfully dismantled Johnson, his polices and this particular Tory government on 5Live with Pienaar this morning and showed them up for the second hand scam dealers they are. Sadly, there are no more honourable one nation Tories like him left in the government to hold them to account.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They will just shoot themselves in foot again

Only after heroically clawing themselves up from the depths of no mans land and getting themselves into a position of relevance.

Then it's time to take aim at the old size 9's.

D

Deleted member 22389

What a shocking selection of people for the next Labour leader. No hard working person will ever vote for these people. People like Caroline Flint, John Mann remind me how good Labour used to be. Have a nice Xmas.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/15/under-jeremy-corbyn-a-window-opened-now-its-slammed-shut
Lajoie was among many first-time canvassers organised on WhatsApp who went to Putney, Kensington, Ruislip and Chingford to campaign for Labour. On election night she met a homeless man who said he wasn’t registered but would have voted Conservative if he could. “I am very rarely speechless, but I don’t know how to process that: you’re suffering, you’re homeless, you might not survive the next five years, but what – at least it won’t be a Polish coroner who does your autopsy?”

Interesting article and for me it sums up where so many middle class Corbyn disciples get it completely wrong.

Most people don't want to be victims, and don't see themselves as victims. Even the homeless man doesn't see himself as a victim of the evil Tories. He doesn't want to be saved by anyone, he needs to be empowered to help himself.

It's a well meaning but dreadful attitude, this thread and this board is littered with it. It's basically the class version of the white saviour.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
What a shocking selection of people for the next Labour leader. No hard working person will ever vote for these people. People like Caroline Flint, John Mann remind me how good Labour used to be. Have a nice Xmas.

Please share the source of your knowledge of what/who all hard working persons will or won't vote for.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Please share the source of your knowledge of what/who all hard working persons will or won't vote for.

Here’s an idea

4159dcd8d9c4bb2cb21730e57b975554.jpg

The bits in red are where hardworking people voted for a Labour candidate, the other colours represent where other hardworking people voted for someone else representing other political parties, I do hope that’s helps?

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
Here’s an idea

4159dcd8d9c4bb2cb21730e57b975554.jpg

The bits in red are where hardworking people voted for a Labour candidate, the other colours represent where other hardworking people voted for someone else representing other political parties, I do hope that’s helps?

Helps enormously and verifies my presumption that hard working people (and lazy ones) vote for all sorts of people and parties. Bashsldir seemed to have some more reliable evidence that hard working people would never vote for a party with a 'left wing' leader, meaning tens of thousands of lethargic voters in Brighton and Hove, for example.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Is the list of candidates finalised now, then? I seem to have missed that. So who are the runners?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
People like Caroline Flint, John Mann remind me......

Of nasty self-serving filth.

“....it was reported in The Times that Theresa May's resignation honours list was held up by a row over her decision to give Mann a life peerage and that the independent watchdog on Lords appointments warned it would set a dangerous precedent and could be seen as a bribe for his support of her Brexit withdrawal bill...”.

Thank god these two idiots are out of the Houses of Parliament.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think Boris laid down his metal when he took the whip away from rebel MPs, some very well known and respected, after the failed bill. I do not think that many will try that again for some time to come, self preservation they call it.

....and isn't that just about the scariest scenario imaginable....the country ruled for a minimum of 5 completely un-democratic years by the lunatic but devious Cummings and the dipshit philanderer Johnson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here