Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
For what it is worth I agree 100%. There are intelligent reasons for leaving the EU, but you rarely hear them articulated in ' vox pops'. More often you hear either made up sh1t, say on bananas - lots of which go back to Johnson's own lies - or outright xenophobia.

Seems like it will be disadvantaged parts of the country that will suffer most if/when Brexit goes tits up. Well I for one won't be shedding any tears for them.

Do think it's tough on good Labour MPs like Nandy who genuinely want the best for their towns though.

May I just add that a lot of people also voted for Johnson because the thought of a Government headed by Corbyn and McDonnell was totally unacceptable to them.
Some on here state that many who voted for Johnson were morons. Do they accept that many who voted for Labour were morons?
Just asking.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A slightly different take on this, for me; Brexit will hardly affect me if it does go horribly badly (well, unless my pension evaporates). Therefore I have rather patronisingly perhaps been thinking about the less advantaged, and the possibility they have been duped into supporting a Brexit that will harm them.

Perhaps it is better to be a little more stoic. Things are what they are.

So I am prepared to rebrand Brexit is a win-win for me personally:
If Boris makes a massive success of it then what's not to like? ???
On the other hand if he buggers it up then it means I am more likely to see a labour government return (albeit freed from the hancuffs of momentum).

And what about the others I have been so patronisingly attempting to protect by speaking against Brexit? In one scenario we might see a lot of disappointed working class, formerly labour, Brexit fans, possibly in a very difficult situaltion (job losses, mortgage defaulting etc). If this happens (and it may not), I should now desist from complaining on their behalf. That, as I have been repeatedly told when 'speaking up' for those I consider too stupid to understand their best interest, is patronising. I don't wish to be patronising. So **** 'em. :shrug:

As I think I posted yesterday, there are those willing Brexit to be a complete disaster just so they can say, ' I told you so ' and they can then hate Johnson even more than they do now. And f--k the stupid moronic northerners! These are mainly the caring, sharing concerned lefties. I like to think of myself as a reasonably polite poster, but to me, this attitude stinks almost as much as the shit pouring forth from their collective mouths.
The fact remains that if Labour hadn't made a complete f--k up with Corbyn and McDonnell, they could have won the election. It is like a football manager blaming the opposition for winning, without looking at the team he himself picked and the tactics he chose to employ, that led to the defeat.
Finally, as you know I voted Remain, but I want the country to succeed and that includes Northerners and even those southern morons who voted for Corbyn( tongue in cheek, here:D)

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
As a labour member I cannot see how Labour can ever win unless they start winning seats in Scotland assuming the union is not broken up if it is then even if labour win back the seats in the north of England I still think an outright win for Labour is very unlikely, that is unless they select a leader who could be acceptable to both wings of labour and the wider middle of the road electorate.

To have any chance of achieving this then they need to select someone like Sir Keer Starmer he has the gravitas to cross parties and bring some Tories and Liberals over to vote labour while being completly on top of details but like Blair he needs a strong deputy with strong left wing credentials that's Rebecca long Bailey

The other option if the party is dead set on electing a female leader then it's Jess Phillips again with long Bailey as deputy but I don't think it's as strong an option

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
[As a labour member I cannot see how Labour can ever win unless they start winning seats in Scotland assuming the union is not broken up if it is then even if labour win back the seats in the north of England I still think an outright win for Labour is very unlikely, that is unless they select a leader who could be acceptable to both wings of labour and the wider middle of the road electorate.)

This and thrice this. Scotland is lost, England will never elect a Marxist government, its moderate Labour or the Tories for the foreseeable future.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Because TB used the word 'deflections'? ???:flounce:

Hey, I’m not a snowman ! No, I am just fed up with posters on all sides trying to plant fake news into debates. The subsequent lack of decency to apologize means I just can’t be bothered. There’s no point in talking to an agenda. No loss to either of us.
I shall start a list. You’re on it as well :smile:

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
[As a labour member I cannot see how Labour can ever win unless they start winning seats in Scotland assuming the union is not broken up if it is then even if labour win back the seats in the north of England I still think an outright win for Labour is very unlikely, that is unless they select a leader who could be acceptable to both wings of labour and the wider middle of the road electorate.)

This and thrice this. Scotland is lost, England will never elect a Marxist government, its moderate Labour or the Tories for the foreseeable future.

It always has been thus and will remain so forever, whatever Momentum may aspire to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a labour member I cannot see how Labour can ever win unless they start winning seats in Scotland assuming the union is not broken up if it is then even if labour win back the seats in the north of England I still think an outright win for Labour is very unlikely, that is unless they select a leader who could be acceptable to both wings of labour and the wider middle of the road electorate.

To have any chance of achieving this then they need to select someone like Sir Keer Starmer he has the gravitas to cross parties and bring some Tories and Liberals over to vote labour while being completly on top of details but like Blair he needs a strong deputy with strong left wing credentials that's Rebecca long Bailey

The other option if the party is dead set on electing a female leader then it's Jess Phillips again with long Bailey as deputy but I don't think it's as strong an option

Or 'Sir Steer Calmer' as Private Eye may soon dub him.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
May I just add that a lot of people also voted for Johnson because the thought of a Government headed by Corbyn and McDonnell was totally unacceptable to them.
Some on here state that many who voted for Johnson were morons. Do they accept that many who voted for Labour were morons?
Just asking.

My earlier post was about Brexit...agree that Corbyn was totally unelectable. Vain, stubborn and anti- Western...you could hardly have a worse candidate, even though all Labour leaders are demonised by the non-tax paying media owners. So no, aJohnson voters are by no stretch morons.

I stand by the view that there is very clear evidence that lots (but not all) Leavers displayed basic ignorance on what the EU is for and how it works...bananas again come to mind. Others were certainly xenophobic.

It's all spilt milk now, I just want to pinch myself and wake up back in 2015, even if Albion are still in the Championship.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is on the assumption Boris unequivocally unites the Conservatives and of the 70 odd new MPs he has gained, some from constituencies they have never represented, none of them rebel. He can of course ride out substantial rebellions, but if 40 or more of them form their won ERG style groups, then it might not be quite as simple as doing what he wants, when he wants. Lets not pretend the Conservatives are some united entity at this point. Pre-election they purged a few, but there are still moderates in the party (we hope.).

I think Boris laid down his metal when he took the whip away from rebel MPs, some very well known and respected, after the failed bill. I do not think that many will try that again for some time to come, self preservation they call it.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My earlier post was about Brexit...agree that Corbyn was totally unelectable. Vain, stubborn and anti- Western...you could hardly have a worse candidate, even though all Labour leaders are demonised by the non-tax paying media owners. So no, aJohnson voters are by no stretch morons.

I stand by the view that there is very clear evidence that lots (but not all) Leavers displayed basic ignorance on what the EU is for and how it works...bananas again come to mind. Others were certainly xenophobic.

It's all spilt milk now, I just want to pinch myself and wake up back in 2015, even if Albion are still in the Championship.

Hi Bish, I'm sure some were xenophobic, there's little doubt about that.
However, what one has to bear in mind, is that the 'Average Joe' is almost certainly not a political animal and will probably have only a limited understanding or appreciation about how the EU works, regardless of whether he or she voted remain or leave.
Anyway, as you say, we are where we are and I hope all goes well for the 'Good Ship UK ' and all who live in her. Who, but the crazies would not wish their own country and its people to prosper? Hmm. I think 'Average Joe' probably thought that Corbyn was rather less patriotic than they would like and I don't mean we all have to be jingoistic!
Back to 2015? No thanks; I'd still be an old git of 67. Let's go back to the Glory Days of Mullers and 1977-79........The football was fantastic and I was in my prime! I won't mention the political turmoil to come, 'cos it is ancient history!
Have a great Christmas!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Doesn't matter what your policies/ideals are, you can't implement them when you're not in power! Blair realized that it and took the moderate approach.

If the LP had taken this approach in 1945 then the NHS would never have existed.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
However, what one has to bear in mind, is that the 'Average Joe' is almost certainly not a political animal and will probably have only a limited understanding or appreciation about how the EU works, regardless of whether they voted remain or leave.
Anyway, as you say, we are where we are and I hope all goes well for the 'Good Ship UK ' and all who live in her. Who, but the crazies would not wish their own country and its people to prosper? Hmm. I think 'Average Joe' probably thought that Corbyn was rather less patriotic than he would like and I don't mean we all have to be jingoistic!
Back to 2015? No thanks; I'd still be an old git of 67. Let's go back to the Glory Days of Mullers and 1977-79........The football was fantastic and I was in my prime! I won't mention the political turmoil to come, 'cos it is ancient history!

Absolutely -nice post and all the very best to you this Christmas.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
However, what one has to bear in mind, is that the 'Average Joe' is almost certainly not a political animal and will probably have only a limited understanding or appreciation about how the EU works, regardless of whether he or she voted remain or leave.
Anyway, as you say, we are where we are and I hope all goes well for the 'Good Ship UK ' and all who live in her. Who, but the crazies would not wish their own country and its people to prosper? Hmm. I think 'Average Joe' probably thought that Corbyn was rather less patriotic than they would like and I don't mean we all have to be jingoistic!

Happy Christmas to you too.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think Boris laid down his metal when he took the whip away from rebel MPs, some very well known and respected, after the failed bill. I do not think that many will try that again for some time to come, self preservation they call it.

In other words he's a bully who can't get what he wants by fair means.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think Boris laid down his metal.

One side effect of his strong main tactics is the flip side of what Corbyn has experienced with an influx of far left members.

Over the last few weeks far right activists / journalists such as Katie Hopkins, Tommy Robinson and most frighteningly of all Paul Golding have all pledged support.

If you don't know who Paul Golding is be very afraid. . They have caught his membership application, but won't catch all.

Labour under Corbyn was NOT an antisemitic party, but without enough checks and balances retrospectively (and inevitably) attracted those of a very far left and antisemitic/conspiracy type persuasion.

Looks like the same is happening under Boris. The far right are looking at it as their home since being him apparently being anti EU and quite happily to make anti Muslim comments ticks a number of boxes.

Boris is going to have to work very very hard to convince everyone he is one nation Tory, His only tactic so far to is throw billions at Northern Towns in a manner you would recoil if it was done by a Labour Leader.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here