Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ian Murray makes quite a compelling argument as Labour's only Scottish MP for deputy. He also cuts through the more fanciful notions of say ballots for military action, and has a very straight forward way that reminds me a bit of how Prescott was. Having a deputy from outside Corbyn's sphere of influence may also be a good thing if Starmer is to make leader.

Got an email from his campaign this morning: the first time I've heard a dicky-bird from him.

He's a bit tardy - the voting opened over a week ago. I (and every Labour member I know) has already voted

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As a non Labour voter and someone who opposes everything Corbyn stands for despite being about as manual worker as you can get, I'm shocked that he's still in power and hasn't gone yet.

I just don't understand the reason why he's still in power unless it's to ensure his replacement is going to follow in his footsteps which is a total disaster for the Labour Party and political landscape of the UK. We need an effective opposition to keep the party in power, in some sort of control.

Every time I can think of a party getting trounced, the leaders not lasted a day. Here's Corbyn still in power months later.

Doesn’t bode well IMHO. Both for his replacement and for the Labour Party's reputation for not getting rid immediately after that shit show of an election.

But what do I know. :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As a non Labour voter and someone who opposes everything Corbyn stands for despite being about as manual worker as you can get, I'm shocked that he's still in power and hasn't gone yet. I just don't understand the reason why he's still in power unless it's to ensure his replacement is going to follow in his footsteps which is a total disaster for the Labour Party and political landscape of the UK. We need an effective opposition to keep the party in power, in some sort of control.

Every time I can think of a party getting trounced, the leaders not lasted a day. Here's Corbyn still in power months later.

Doesn’t bode well IMHO. Both for his replacement and for the Labour Party's reputation for not getting rid immediately after that shit show of an election.

The issue is that both the deputy leader and leader are elected by members. In the event the leader steps down, the elected deputy leader steps in.

Unfortunately Tom Watson stood down as deputy leader on 12 December ahead of the general election. That meant had Corbyn stepped down, Labour would have been leaderless, or at least having no leader with any kind of membership mandate to lead the party even in the interim.

I don't think there are any rules or mechanisms in place to deal with that, so how do you promote a leader in the interim? Who chooses? Even for 3 months or so? Whatever you say about Labour, it is a democratic movement.

When Brown resigned Harriot Harman was deputy and led the party for 4 months. Again when Miliband resigned, Harriot Harman again as deputy took over as leader.

Corbyn hasn't had the luxury of resigning immediately after the election defeat. You can look at it as you have, or see that there are less conspiratorial reasons for it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jeez, I seem to get some form of communication from Burgon every day - very little from Rayner though.

I still haven't heard a sausage from Butler - she's the forgotten woman.

Interesting. Perhaps there are some kind of algorithms at work with regard to email lists. ???

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As a non Labour voter and someone who opposes everything Corbyn stands for despite being about as manual worker as you can get, I'm shocked that he's still in power and hasn't gone yet.

I just don't understand the reason why he's still in power unless it's to ensure his replacement is going to follow in his footsteps which is a total disaster for the Labour Party and political landscape of the UK. We need an effective opposition to keep the party in power, in some sort of control.

There are procedures to be followed, a new leader can't be elected immediately - this is quite normal. Kinnock wasn't elected until four months after Labour's last heavy defeat.

What complicated matters this time is that there was no deputy leader either. If Corbyn had stepped down immediately, there'd need to be a way to sort out an interim leader. The Labour rule book is vague on this: they say a new leader could be appointed by the NEC or it could be left to a conference decision. Personally, I think Corbyn staying on was the right thing - why have two leadership contests within a couple of months of each other?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There are procedures to be followed, a new leader can't be elected immediately - this is quite normal. Kinnock wasn't elected until four months after Labour's last heavy defeat.

What complicated matters this time is that there was no deputy leader either. If Corbyn had stepped down immediately, there'd need to be a way to sort out an interim leader. The Labour rule book is vague on this: they say a new leader could be appointed by the NEC or it could be left to a conference decision. Personally, I think Corbyn staying on was the right thing - why have two leadership contests within a couple of months of each other?

Exactly. He's taken the tougher option having to stand at the dispatch box facing Johnson in defeat. Not many other leaders would have done that. But given the options the party was faced with, he's given the party a period of introspection and leadership campaigning without needing to worry about an interim leader, and stayed completely out of it.

How would you appoint an interim leader when so many of the people you would chose would likely be running for the leadership contest or deputy? Then you end up picking someone divisive either side of remain or leave, left or right, and it would have just been an unwanted side show.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Wrong Bailey has hinted he will be offered a job in her shadow cabinet should she win, she’s my new hope now[emoji23]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So who's the best deputy pairing with Kier S?

I have a vote but don't know much about Labour, just whoever is best to hold these crooks in power to account...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I know a lot of people in Labour who are impressed by Rosena Allin-Khan, but I confess I don't know too much about the deputy battle other than that Burgon is an absolute crank.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Indeed. And our two Corbyn supporters on here would have it that he caved in under the relentless evil pressure from the massed ranks of the media. I love the way the hard left patronise the electorate. I lived through a time when the media did conduct a relentless campaign against labour (Foot, then Kinnock) but what it really did was firm up the support of the undecided. Proper labour supporters never fell for that shite.

So it takes a special kind of stupid to make labour so unpalatable it pushes a 75 year old, who lived through the Thatcher years, still voting labour, into the arms of Boris.

Well, my prediction was that as successive candidates drop out, Wrong Bailey will pick up more and more votes till she wins the head to head (I think this is how the mad Labour process works). This nightmare scenario now seems less likely but it is still possible . . . .

Still possible...Wrong Bailey fans think they've got Starmer by the short and curlies on campaign funding, he's certainly keeping verey quiet on the issue - if true and he drops out and it's down to a straight fight between Nandy and WB, the left, who are past masters at the dark arts, will have a significant chance of getting their candidate voted in. At which point the Labour party will disintegrate.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know a lot of people in Labour who are impressed by Rosena Allin-Khan, but I confess I don't know too much about the deputy battle other than that Burgon is an absolute crank.

I know little about Murray or Butler. RAK and Burgon have been the most active - I was impressed with Allin-Khan too.

Rayner has been quiet in the election - which is unusual for her - she's certainly got the biggest personality. She's probably the Labour politician closest to Boris Johnson in style (definitely not in political views). I'm not sure whether that's a good or bad thing.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Burgon may be very good but when ever I see him I can’t help thinking that it’s David Walliams doing a Little Britain character.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Burgon may be very good but when ever I see him I can’t help thinking that it’s David Walliams doing a Little Britain character.

Burgon’s not good, he’s an inept car crash in interview after interview (see youtube), he’d be a PR disaster. Anyone but Burgon if we want an electable LP.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

My local very good albeit inexperienced MP.

I think she was designed by focus group.

- Tooting (her birth place) has a large Asian community, her father is from Pakistan.

- Between Tooting and Balham there is a large post war Polish Community, her mother is Polish.

- As an inner London MP with many poor residents she has seen hard times. After her parents split up her mother had to do three jobs.

- Her constituency is broadly native, affluent and educated. She is married to a Welshman, went to Cambridge and is a qualified Doctor.

- She supports the NHS by still doing shifts in her spare time at the local A&E.

- She is centre ground.

I can't see her ever losing her seat. One of those MPs who ticks all the boxes locally.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here