Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next leader of the Labour party

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Out of all five standing I reckon that Nandy would be the most likely to win Labour a GE.

Personally, I think Dan Jarvis would be the Labour leader with most potential, but it seems he doesn't want the job, understandable!

Starmer I like but can't see him appealing to enough people they need to win back.

None of Phillips, Thornberry or Long-Bailey, are particularly inspiring. However four years is a long time and it may well be the case that the next leader of the Labour Party wins by default, I wouldn't be surprised.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nandy’s always come across as NOT particularly left wing, very reasonable, open and honest, with some charm. Will the Hard Left really vote for her?

No, because Momentum has declared for RLB, and the wider membership gets the final say. The only people who can stop this are the PLP (the labour MPs).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If so, that’s another own goal by the class war zealots.

I cannot see Labour being a political force unless they have massive upheaval and have policies that are realistic and would work.

Their last election campaign was full of policies made up as campaigning evolved and were completely unworkable

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No-one really knows Starmer's politics and he is banging on about 'unifying the party', but is this really possible with the extremists of Momentum on one side and moderates( and most of the left leaning public) of the party on the other side. Until Labour is honest with itself and moves away from the hard left, I reckon it will remain in the wilderness. RLB won't do this and I seriously wonder whether Starmer will either.

Starmer’s obviously centre-left or a centrist, but is making all the right noises NOW to get enough Momentum/Corbynista’s on board to get himself elected leader.

If he disparaged the suicidal 2019 Manifesto, he’d lose out to those still championing it as a marvellous shopping list.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Thanks for being specific, unlike many on here who favour vapid anti Labour/Corbyn slogans or suggest the Labour Party should abandon any policies aimed at addressing the massive and growing inequalities of wealth and power in our country.

Do you believe these policies are a) wrong, b) unaffordable or c) that they were poorly presented?

The first two are wrong, the third is unaffordable, IMO.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hopefully Long-Bailey will win and keep the party in the wilderness for another 10 years

Your wish may be granted, of course....

mondesian cyberman.jpgRLB.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I cannot see Labour being a political force unless they have massive upheaval and have policies that are realistic and would work.

Their last election campaign was full of policies made up as campaigning evolved and were completely unworkable

They also did not balance financially, see the IFS comments. And that was before financing all the nationalisations and the very late in the day sucking up to the WASPI’s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
can you demonstrate the policies that YOU think 'would work'?

Can you please demonstrate which policies put forward by Corbyn that 'were completely unworkable' ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Can you please demonstrate which policies put forward by Corbyn that 'were completely unworkable' ?

As I am not a policy maker or politician, no.

That said British Broadband was stupid and made up on the hoof and re-nationalising industries appeals to neither the young who now work differently nor the old who had seen it, done it and glad they were privatised.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I don't think that many were unworkable on their - although nationalising OpenReach may have been a bit of a commitment - but there were so many policies that they couldn't have been paid for in one parliament.

I think their manifesto for the previous election was much better and more manageable, this one looked like they were making stuff up on the hoof.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

A reasonable redistribution of wealth which doesn’t impact on the pressed middle, a root and branch review of the NHS to include an ability to pay model and punitive charges for time wasters, appointment dodgers and those with self inflicted diseases like COPD and type 2 diabetes. Investment in British heavy manufacturing and tech. Excellence in education and bursaries for essential skill students such as Nurses, Physicists, Mathematicians and computer sciences/engineering whilst Dance, Art, Theology and media studies remaining as student loan courses.

The ludicrous promise to abandon ALL current student loans and write off the debt of graduates. That policy would have bankrupted the U.K. in one fell swoop.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Boris Johnson says:

The British public deserve to have access to the best possible technology. I’ve talked about infrastructure and technology. We want to put in gigabit broadband for everybody.

The difference is that Johnson has absolutely no plan to get on with this. Just like his outright lie about his 'plan' over social care which he said he had last year.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Boris Johnson says:

The difference is that Johnson has absolutely no plan to get on with this. Just like his outright lie about his 'plan' over social care which he said he had last year.

This outlines the sad state of affairs our political landscape is in. The general public would rather vote for policies that they knew would never materialise over policies that were unaffordable but would materialise at great risk to the economy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The ludicrous promise to abandon ALL current student loans and write off the debt of graduates.

There was a proposal for free university education but there was no plan to write off the debt of graduates.

Free university education is a good idea - Germany has it and they're not doing too badly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here