Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Next few weeks will tell it all

Albion Rob

Well, with Piercy, Rodger and Blackwell all off the wage bill we are really going to find out where the club stands.

You would have to assume that the three of them were on a total of about £5k per week therefore that should leave ample money for us to bring in a striker who will score the goals we need to stay up.

I think it is fair to say that if there is no action before mid-January (allowing time for the right players to be scouted and fpr the transfer window to open to let Premiership clubs fill their squads) then we are well and truly screwed financially and should be thankful we have a club at all.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Don't we have to come to some kind of financial settlement with these players? For example, Piercy was contracted to the club until the end of the season, so won't we have to pay him a lump sum to compensate him?

Albion Rob

Set of Tracksuits said:
Don't we have to come to some kind of financial settlement with these players? For example, Piercy was contracted to the club until the end of the season, so won't we have to pay him a lump sum to compensate him?

I'm pretty sure we can claim that on insurance (assuming we were paying the premiums!). As for Nicolas, I reckon that's a wise investment of any money saved.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Set of Tracksuits said:

No we don't have to. He has quit.

No doubt we will pay him most of his contract anyway as the precedent seemed to have been set with Blackwell.

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
But you never know Mr Knight may well give a little bit of money to help us out in the striker department.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Seagulls fan gets a signed photo from Brightons New striker in the shop

greaves2.jpg

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
fatboy said:
No we don't have to. He has quit.

No doubt we will pay him most of his contract anyway as the precedent seemed to have been set with Blackwell.

He hasn't quit. He's retired through illness so, as said previously, insurance should pay for any settlement.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Rangdo said:
He hasn't quit. He's retired through illness so, as said previously, insurance should pay for any settlement.

Quit or retired it amoutns to the same thing - contract terminated.

Insurance won't pay for any settlement.

To quote the Insider:

"Rodger is [was] still being paid by the club, on a week-to-week basis, but we don't insure players against general injury. We are currently paying for all our injured players. I don't think you actually can insure against this. Players can take out their own insurance, but this is a separate issue for things like lost earnings post their contract and things such as bonuses for playing/winning.

Bigger clubs I'm sure insure all their big name players against career-ending injury, because they have a very big transfer value, but the premiums are very high."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here