Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I fear this isn't going to end well. The parliamentary party will be very much in favour of Rishi (quite rightly IMHO - through the Covid turmoil years he at least showed he knew what he was doing!) and will offer the 167,000(?)ish Tory party members (less those who are not on Smart phones or t'internet) the choice of Rishi and one other.

The 167,000 will then vote for whichever one isn't non-white. Same reason the worst elements of the Tory party membership voted for Truss, even though she was hopelessly out of her depth (to put it kindly - I wouldn't be so kind!)

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I fear this isn't going to end well. The parliamentary party will be very much in favour of Rishi (quite rightly IMHO - through the Covid turmoil years he at least showed he knew what he was doing!) and will offer the 167,000(?)ish Tory party members (less those who are not on Smart phones or t'internet) the choice of Rishi and one other.

The 167,000 will then vote for whichever one isn't non-white. Same reason the worst elements of the Tory party membership voted for Truss, even though she was hopelessly out of her depth (to put it kindly - I wouldn't be so kind!)
I don't think it's going to end well whoever is in charge. On either 'side'.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My humblest apologies GB, unfortunately a mod insinuated I was a second account for Steve Foster and a couple of simpletons believed this was the case and began trolling me across multiple threads which you obviously missed ... Genius!

Who will it be next week Bakerlite, Chicken Run?

:lolol: :jester:
Well, considering that "Steve Foster" has at least three accounts (he once accidentally started the predictions thread with a sock puppet) it's not beyond the realms of possibility that JCFG was another of his. And there's certainly IP data linking you to both accounts. But we're getting into dull Bear Pit territory here and I warned you not to in my previous post. That was my point.

Since you and "Steve" are both about the last ones left on here defending the Tories (or rather, attacking those attacking the Tories) perhaps you could tell us all why you think they're still suitable for government, what your opinion is of Liss Truss and who you think will succeed her? That is, after all, the point of the thread. Not some "new" account invoking the names of long departed Bear Pit regulars.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

If only Rishi gets 100 nominations, there is no vote and he gets the gig unopposed. There seems to be quite a gulf between their MPs and members.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Probably doing some dodgy deal that gives The Liar a cabinet post, or even a halt to the standards committee investigation?
You are almost certainly correct on both. Lovely for Johnson's ego to be seen as a benevolant " Kingmaker " by throwing his swivel eyed acolytes behind Sunak in return for the ditching of that rather embarrassing inquiry.....oh and a nice undemanding Cabinet post would be nice too for the much needed extra cash .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
You are almost certainly correct on both. Lovely for Johnson's ego to be seen as a benevolant " Kingmaker " by throwing his swivel eyed acolytes behind Sunak in return for the ditching of that rather embarrassing inquiry.....oh and a nice undemanding Cabinet post would be nice too for the much needed extra cash .
I don't doubt Johnson would've tried this. He is after all primarily interested in himself.

It would he political suicide for Sunak to agree as everyone would see straight through it..... he's already on a hiding to nothing being a public school boy, married to a billionaire and the "snake" who knifed Johnson in the eyes of bojo followers.

Sunak would guarantee a labour victory, no way he cuts across the red wall.

A tough 'cost of living crisis' day for the Sunak household is having to make an extra stop at Waitrose because Fortnum & Mason were sold out of the Wild Boar & apricot pate.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Would love to know who the 16 are that have voted for JRM, presumably they were under the affluence of inchahol at the time?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Ridge asks whether another leader can take over without an election.

“The public don’t like elections and the idea that we should go straight into an election now is for the birds. We need to give stability for the markets, sort out the public finances and move on,” the Wycombe MP said.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Would love to know who the 16 are that have voted for JRM, presumably they were under the affluence of inchahol at the time?
I voted for Hancock just to take the piss. I'd like to change the vote to Failing Grayling but can't find the option to.

However, even as a nonsense vote I couldn't vote for that Mogg tool.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really don't understand why Johnson doesn't prefer a cushy, no-work leader of the opposition role for 4-5 years after the next election.

It would be right up his street - being in the media constantly, getting to perform on the PMQ stage, but not having to put in much graft.

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
I really don't understand why Johnson doesn't prefer a cushy, no-work leader of the opposition role for 4-5 years after the next election.

It would be right up his street - being in the media constantly, getting to perform on the PMQ stage, but not having to put in much graft.
Because he wants to exact revenge on those who removed him from what he percieves to be his rightful position

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Current Northern Ireland minister, Boris Johnson ally and Brexiteer Steve Baker has declared he is supporting Rishi Sunak.

"Boris would be a guaranteed disaster" because of the ongoing inquiry into Partygate, Baker says.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Lord King essentially saying that all the central banks royally screwed up during lockdown when they printed money like it didn't matter. Growth will take 20 years to sort out, not 2, there will need to be higher taxes for everyone as there is not enough money amongst the wealthy to sort it out. When asked if this is going back to austerity, he said in some ways it would be worse.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Because he wants to exact revenge on those who removed him from what he perceives to be his rightful position
I think your are onto something here. He has always been a big fan of revenge. This goes back to him conspiring to have a journalist beaten up. He is very competitive and will, no doubt, kick a number of MPs out of the party if he is able to grab power.

If Rishi wins and has any political survivalist sense though, he’ll kick out that c*** Johnson (who’ll be skiving off parliament anyway) for next to nothing (although when it’s found he lied to Parliament, it will be a very easy decision).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lord King essentially saying that all the central banks royally screwed up during lockdown when they printed money like it didn't matter. Growth will take 20 years to sort out, not 2, there will need to be higher taxes for everyone as there is not enough money amongst the wealthy to sort it out. When asked if this is going back to austerity, he said in some ways it would be worse.
people need to pay more attention to the fact 5% for the top rate was worth £2bn, 1p on income tax about £5bn. we probably need a decade of higher general tax to sort out the public finance. or carry on borrowing when every other country is try to do the same (so rates go up, cost more, more revenue to interest...).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Why do interviewers in Britain have politicians on their show, ask them questions, and don't give them the time to answer them?

Laura Kuenssberg did that with Penny Mordaunt and Keir Starmer. I could see Keir Starmer rushing his answers, because he knew at any moment, Laura K. would be talking over him, asking her next question.

A few weeks ago, I saw an interview with a Russian-American journalist, being interviewed by an American, giving her accounts of how Putin rose to power. It was an absolutely superb interview, not least because she was given the time and space to give full, considered answers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why do interviewers in Britain have politicians on their show, ask them questions, and don't give them the time to answer them?

Laura Kuenssberg did that with Penny Mordaunt and Keir Starmer. I could see Keir Starmer rushing his answers, because he knew at any moment, Laura K. would be talking over him, asking her next question.

A few weeks ago, I saw an interview with a Russian-American journalist, being interviewed by an American, giving her accounts of how Putin rose to power. It was an absolutely superb interview, not least because she was given the time and space to give full, considered answers.
Because politicians notoriously don’t answer direct questions. They try to cause deflection by starting off with what they perceive as context but is often waffle and bluster.

The comparison you give is strange, I don’t think you can compare Kuenssberg trying to squeeze a straight answer out of Mordaunt or a Policy out of Sir Keir with an interview with a journalist on historic facts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yep. That's exactly what I thought when the blue rinsers backed thick Lizzie.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here