Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Another one looking for a job, always on the phone..

3c4fd84a323e4c0bfb899546f2d02de7.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
So question then

Instead of who do you want, who do you think is most likely?

Imagine you were the bookie setting odds where would see the probability. Might it go something like for "next permanent Brighton manager" ? .....

Bruno 2/1
Knutsen 4/1
Hayes 4/1
Martin 6/1
Jones 10/1
Lallana 10/1
Martinez 10/1
Rogers 12/1
Poch 33/1

For the avoidance of doubt I'm definitely not offering those odds. I literally have no idea what the likelihoods are, so try hard not to mock my stupidity. That's why I'm asking if you have any thoughts on it.

And feel free to post actual odds if there are any. I can't access that stuff at work

I'd put Hayes up at 25-1 for a max loss of 2500. We are progressive but not so progressive she is in the region of a 25% chance of a PL job let alone ours.

That said, pricing these markets up is very difficult. All insider info.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He's off to Brentford?

But seriously ... Quite a few decent international managers will become available after the world cup. The world cup cycle offers a natural time for manager's of countries to reassess. Luis Enrique would be another amazing shout. Sadly, we'd have to limp to December without a permanent manager to get anyone like that.

10 matches until the mid season / world cup break. Probably too long for an interim to hold the fort.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'd LOVE us to be the first club to appoint a female manager.

Hayes or Weigmann please.

Why? its a crap idea and nothing more than positive discrimination.

how ever good Wiegmann or Hayes are, the level they have managed at is incomparable to that in the top end of the PL. On ability/CV Its like offering it to the current manager of Leyton Orient, but only because she's a woman.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It seems like a good idea from a continuity perspective but there's a chance Potter will want to take his people with him. That means Bruno might get an offer at Chelsea or he'll have to manage without Billy, Bjorn and Kyle MacAuley. Far from ideal.

I wonder if we'd instead bring in someone external who also comes with a trusted team.

I would imagine one of the many things GP will be discussing with Chelsea is who he can bring with, how much autonomy they get and how much recruitment he's expected to do himself.

All well and good stating who can go with Potter but the likes of Mac Auley may need a bit of gardening leave. Tony will play hardball no doubt about it.

I also wonder how close Bruno has been to the inner thoughts of Potter. He may have all the "tools" to step in. He is certainly one of the most thoughtful of players and appears to have a similar persona to Potter, he's close to the team and surely understands the ethic.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would certainly hope that Emma Hayes will be on the short list, after that it's whether she can convince them she's the best option.

A female manager has never done anything in the Football League, let alone the Prem. Furthermore, if Emma Hayes crashed and burned in the Prem it would set back women's football quite badly.

However, there must be EFL sides out there with nothing to lose and the budget to give an Emma Hayes an opportunity, i.e. faceless club MK Dons currently 18th in League 1.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why? its a crap idea and nothing more than positive discrimination.

how ever good Wiegmann or Hayes are, the level they have managed at is incomparable to that in the top end of the PL. On ability/CV Its like offering it to the current manager of Leyton Orient, but only because she's a woman.

What a daft post. If she were chosen it would be because she was the best candidate, not because she was a woman. Do you really think that Tony would throw away his money on a flight of fancy?

Hayes has an impressive CV. a really impressive CV. Like Potter, she has a degree. Like Potter, she's worked abroad in the highly competitive US league; like Potter, she has European experience and like Potter, she's renowned as an excellent people manager. She also has a background in a non-footballing business to give her a wider perspective. She has also been women's manager of the year three times.

Of course, she hasn't got a PL background (but then, neither had Potter) but I'd imagine that if she were chosen, she'd surround herself with people who did.

I have no idea whether she'd on the shortlist but, sooner or later, one club will look seriously at her. I think that Wimbledon were looking at her last year but she knocked that idea on the head quite quickly, saying that it was a downward step. The PL may not be though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Emma Hayes.

She has scoffed at the idea of managing in a mens league before but that was at L2 / Conference level. A top half PL club is a different proposition altogether.

Back on reality street I doubt that TB would want to be the trailblazer taking a risk with a female appointee. A team of Bruno, Liam, Calde & Sidders would do for me (although who fits best in what role I'm not 100% sure).

She sounds too much like an up-the-apples-and-pears cockney wanker to me.

I can't see her gently coaching three or four different ways to interface between a back 3 and a back 4.

Ironically I can see her grabbing Marsh by the throat and shouting "Put the ****ing boot in, you soft ponce. It's a ****ing MAN'S game!!!".

:lolol:

Edit I just read [MENTION=25]Gwylan[/MENTION]'s post and realize I may have been talking out of my perfectly-formed arse. Again :facepalm:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I would certainly hope that Emma Hayes will be on the short list, after that it's whether she can convince them she's the best option.
You remember how "racist" little old Brighton were when we sacked Hughton ?

I'd hope we would never have to dare to sack her. :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Junior and Swansman in a Houllier / Evans style job share

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, if Potter goes, I'm not going to start moping. It will be exciting to see who we appoint.

Better to have our manager poached by a much richer club than sacked for being shit.

Not since Freddie Goodwin left us for Birmingham, Brian Clough left us for Leeds, Nobby Horton left us for Port Vale, Mickey Adams left us for Leicester, Peter Taylor left us for Hull and Coppell left us for Reading, have I....

Actually, losing a manager to a richer club has happened quite often. I think we have survived every time.... :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here