Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newport County vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This thread has been the worst demonstration so far of how entitled and sometimes frankly clueless some of Brighton's fans are or have become. We barely gave our lower league opposition a look in tonight despite playing a doughty, spirited cup side on a rollered rugby pitch that saw the last two matches postponed. We looked much the better side from start to finish in an enjoyable match and one of our own scored a cracking goal, only to have it matched by an unfortunate keeper error that provoked so ridiculous remarks about why Sanchez or Ryan should therefore have played instead and even more stupid Potter Out comments to back up all the others throughout the thread. Then that penalty shoot-out and the finest goalkeeping performance in a shoot-out that I or commentator Chris Coleman, who knows his stuff, have ever see. No criticism of Ryan or Sanchez intended, but Steele said afterwards that he did his homework, presumably with Roberts, and by God did it pay off. I'm sure he went the right way for every penalty and the saves he made were at full stretch. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable night watching my team win a cracking cup tie like everyone seems to wistfully wish for. More than a few of our fans need to give their heads a wobble and remember what a proper cup tie is like and appreciate the good times like tonight.

Excellent post. That was a tough tie and we've come through it.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This thread has been the worst demonstration so far of how entitled and sometimes frankly clueless some of Brighton's fans are or have become. We barely gave our lower league opposition a look in tonight despite playing a doughty, spirited cup side on a rollered rugby pitch that saw the last two matches postponed. We looked much the better side from start to finish in an enjoyable match and one of our own scored a cracking goal, only to have it matched by an unfortunate keeper error that provoked so ridiculous remarks about why Sanchez or Ryan should therefore have played instead and even more stupid Potter Out comments to back up all the others throughout the thread. Then that penalty shoot-out and the finest goalkeeping performance in a shoot-out that I or commentator Chris Coleman, who knows his stuff, have ever see. No criticism of Ryan or Sanchez intended, but Steele said afterwards that he did his homework, presumably with Roberts, and by God did it pay off. I'm sure he went the right way for every penalty and the saves he made were at full stretch. I've had a thoroughly enjoyable night watching my team win a cracking cup tie like everyone seems to wistfully wish for. More than a few of our fans need to give their heads a wobble and remember what a proper cup tie is like and appreciate the good times like tonight.

[emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Well said. Pathetic reaction from some here (again) last night.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The issue that I have is that a number of players did not show any passion and that has to be down to the manager to resolve one way or another.

March, Dunk, Bissouma were good. Dunk was the biggest attacking threat . Steele more than redeemed himself.

I also think the substitutions were poor and again strange. When Zeqiri went off Tau should have been his replacement although I think others should have gone off instead of him. Substituting your second most effect player with 20 secs to go was madness.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't have any issues with the goalkeeping or defending. And yes, we looked the better side from start to finish, but you'd expect that. The problem, as usual, was the slow, laboured build-up and the dithering over the final pass - which is partly the result of a lack of movement on the part of our so-called strikers.

We've had problems in league games with the time we offer opponents to get men back behind the ball, and when they are already massed on their own 18-yard line (Sheffield United, Newport), it becomes even more of an indulgence. I hoped that the second half against Wolves had switched a light on somewhere in the coaching staff, but apparently not.

Yet somehow, even based on just the open play before penalties, their keeper was their Man of the Match for them.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Disagree. Newport could and maybe should have beaten us with their chances in normal and extra time. I love an underdog story but for it to happen it normally always is because the richer club has had a very poor game, certainly when the gulf is as big as tonight’s was. They played well, we didn’t (and some) and very nearly exited the competition. It wasn’t cracking, it was embarrassing. We known Our PL side can’t beat PL opposition, tonight we also proved we can’t beat L2 opposition over ‘90 minutes’ either. Fact. Oh, and please can we all stop using the word entitled. It’s overused, inaccurate and makes everyone sound gormless. Almost as annoying as bed wetter. Almost...!

How could and should Newport have beaten us with only 22% of posession and just 2 shots on target. They played well in a Division 2 plucky underdogs battle on a leveller of a pitch. We did the job and your post neatly defines entitled. It has proven extremely accurate on this thread.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020

Absolutely this. Progressing in the cup is not a God given right just because you're in the Premier League - just ask Leeds and West Brom.

Fans trying to suggest we're only marginally better than lower league opposition seem to have forgotten that we brushed aside Pompey and Preston in the League Cup earlier in the season. Upsets are a constant theme in the FA Cup but we managed to avoid one. Well done to the lads.

SCassidy

Dec 2, 2020
Disagree. Newport could and maybe should have beaten us with their chances in normal and extra time. I love an underdog story but for it to happen it normally always is because the richer club has had a very poor game, certainly when the gulf is as big as tonight’s was. They played well, we didn’t (and some) and very nearly exited the competition. It wasn’t cracking, it was embarrassing. We known Our PL side can’t beat PL opposition, tonight we also proved we can’t beat L2 opposition over ‘90 minutes’ either. Fact. Oh, and please can we all stop using the word entitled. It’s overused, inaccurate and makes everyone sound gormless. Almost as annoying as bed wetter. Almost...!

You must have missed our games against Portsmouth and Preston NE earlier in the season. Both are higher up the football pyramid than Newport.

Also, posting an entitled thread doesn't make your argument against people using the word entitled very convincing. Sorry.

D

Deleted member 2719

Of course it's got something to do with Potter. He's the manager of our players who take the penalties. That shoot out was a mirror of our team and management. If nothing is ever to do with Potter why do we bother having a manager.

Okay, lets go with your theory.

Potter then made Steele do 4 amazing saves and win the match.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Hey [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] how about that great bit of keeping eh!

Steele must want us to have 45 mins more entertainment.

Brighton’s number 2, Brighton’s Brighton’s number two [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an embarrassment.

vade

Dec 7, 2020
What does Potter have the team doing on the training ground? Presumably not passing or crossing the ball or fighting for 50/50 balls. Sorry I forgot these are top professional footballers who should be able to do these things anyway!!

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
On a lighter note.
When I was watching the game on a dodgy stream, the commentary was in Dutch
Apart from the players names being pronounced in a normal manner, I did hear 'Mickey Mouse' being mentioned.
That made me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here