Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ** Newport County v BHA ** - FA Cup - Score Predictor - Now in its 10th SEASON !!

Newport v BHA - FA Cup - Score Predictor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We are currently 14th favourites to win the Cup at 66/1.

Tempted?

Hi Steve, I don't think you have seen my earlier post.
I incorrectly with fat fingers on the phone put in a 0 - 3 scoreline when I wanted to put 1 - 1 after 90mins.
Could you ammend it for me please.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I remember the season we wore a similar strip and got to the FA cup final but were relegated.

Hopefully we break the spell with a knock out in round 3 so that we can "focus on the league"
:ohmy:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I remember the season we wore a similar strip and got to the FA cup final but were relegated.

Hopefully we break the spell with a knock out in round 3 so that we can "focus on the league"
:ohmy:

Edit.
On a more positive note.
Perhaps we can get to the final and actually win as well as staying up?

(About as likely as GP fielding an unchanged team for 2 consecutive games )

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Edit.
On a more positive note.
Perhaps we can get to the final and actually win as well as staying up?

(About as likely as GP fielding an unchanged team for 2 consecutive games )

An FA cup run can be detrimental to a team fighting relegation - there are several examples of this happening - in 2013 Wigan won the FA cup and a few days later were officially relegated - and has been pointed out, Brighton have a somewhat similar experience. The players tend to focus on the prospect of a cup medal than surviving relegation - many know they will transfer back into PL clubs and others will know they will play a lot more games in the Championship.

I have previously suggested that the reason why Brighton struggled so much in the league during Hughton's second season in the PL was because of the cup run to the semi-final.

Losing to Newport would not be good - but an early exit from the FA cup will help in the long run to, hopefully, maintain PL status.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
An FA cup run can be detrimental to a team fighting relegation - there are several examples of this happening - in 2013 Wigan won the FA cup and a few days later were officially relegated - and has been pointed out, Brighton have a somewhat similar experience. The players tend to focus on the prospect of a cup medal than surviving relegation - many know they will transfer back into PL clubs and others will know they will play a lot more games in the Championship.

I have previously suggested that the reason why Brighton struggled so much in the league during Hughton's second season in the PL was because of the cup run to the semi-final.

Losing to Newport would not be good - but an early exit from the FA cup will help in the long run to, hopefully, maintain PL status.

Well, that is certainly the conventional wisdom, but those boring things known as facts would appear to suggest the opposite.

Albion won only two league games after New Year's Day in the 2018-19 season (Huddersfield at home and Palace away). both while we were still in the Cup. We also drew at home to Watford.

After we lost the semi-final and could concentrate on avoiding relegation, we drew three and lost four, including the damaging defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff that effectively cost Hughton his job. Seven points during the cup run, three after it had ended.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Hi Steve, I don't think you have seen my earlier post.
I incorrectly with fat fingers on the phone put in a 0 - 3 scoreline when I wanted to put 1 - 1 after 90mins.
Could you ammend it for me please.

That’s Sod’s law now.

I’ll go 3-0 Brighton

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
County 1 Albion 3

Percy Tau comes on in the 85th minute to slot the third goal and South Africa goes into meltdown.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Well, that is certainly the conventional wisdom, but those boring things known as facts would appear to suggest the opposite.

Albion won only two league games after New Year's Day in the 2018-19 season (Huddersfield at home and Palace away). both while we were still in the Cup. We also drew at home to Watford.

After we lost the semi-final and could concentrate on avoiding relegation, we drew three and lost four, including the damaging defeats at home to Bournemouth and Cardiff that effectively cost Hughton his job. Seven points during the cup run, three after it had ended.

Getting knocked out of the cup does not reverse the impact of having to play in the competition - once you start on a cup run it impacts for the rest of the campaign - even after you are knocked out. It happened again last season - Norwich got to the Q-Fs and did awful in the league.

It most certainly wasn't the only factor in the poor results after Christmas 2018 - but it undoubtedly was a factor.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Suspect the game will be in doubt. Apparently the pitch is like a rock this morning. Could we do a Bournemouth and offer to host the match at the Amex if it's likely to be frozen off?

(for those who weren't aware the Oldham v Bournemouth game has been switched to Bournemouth's ground so it can be played)

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Suspect the game will be in doubt. Apparently the pitch is like a rock this morning. Could we do a Bournemouth and offer to host the match at the Amex if it's likely to be frozen off?

(for those who weren't aware the Oldham v Bournemouth game has been switched to Bournemouth's ground so it can be played)

Makes sense to switch it although I suspect the rugby due to be played on Saturday will be called off then theres a slight thaw predicted overnight Saturday and by Sunday night temperatures will be up to a balmy 7 degrees by kick off , however if the Rugby goes ahead then the pitch will resemble Derby's baseball ground in the 80s

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Talksport predictions panel (Mottie et al) have identified this as the giant-killer match, all predicting a win for Newport

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here