Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United to rename stadium AGAIN? Its just Wonga..

D

Deleted member 18477

If I was a Newcastle fan I wouldn't give a flying f***!

They can rake in millions like Arsenal (the emirates) and us (the Amex) have done!

AND no one will ever call it anything else but St James' Park at the same time. Total no brainer!

The only reason most of our fans call it The Amex is because it wasn't called anything else first. If it had been Falmer Stadium for 10 years and then we changed it we'd all still call it Falmer stadium regardless of the new name.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I have currently and have never had any problem with this. If it continues to contribute to the ongoing financial stability of a club then you would be silly not to take it up.

If someone said to me "JBizzle, I will give you £100m to change your name to Wonga[MENTION=16359]JBizzle[/MENTION]" - I would bite their hand off. (Come to think of it, I'd probably to it for £20)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Should sponsor Fratton Park

Perfect match – Wonga are probably quite used to people not repaying. And Pompey never pay what they owe.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Good shout on Wonga sponsoring Fratton Park

Arrive with a furore, put a little in, take loads and loads out, then run to the hills never to be seen again...

Oct 25, 2003
wonga is an awful name and an awful company, but NO-ONE up there will call it anything but st james' park (even the council have refused to change the road signs)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Newcastle to play at the Wonga Stadium? - Yahoo! Eurosport UK
No, as it turns out. Wonga are going to con Newcastle fans out of their money by pretending to do them a favour.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
wonga is an awful name and an awful company, but NO-ONE up there will call it anything but st james' park (even the council have refused to change the road signs)

They are going to retain the name St James Park, not rename it (well, yes, they are going to rename it St James Park from whatever it is currently called). Wonga to go on their shirts I believe.

Out of interest, when Amex stop sponsoring our stadium, will you continue to call it the Amex? Let's say the new sponsor is someone with a dull name like Legal & General, will you call it the "L and G", or will you struggle not to call it the Amex?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
2 things:
1. we don't have Sharia Law in this country, so it's irrelevent.
2. How did they get on with Northern Rock & Virgin Money on their shirts then?

Oh, I forgot, this is a massive NON STORY.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here