Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Foleys for god's sake. How many more times have I got to plug Albion's NYC headquarters.

This is a must for your trip Ian. Very Albion friendly. See Albion stuff on display, including my Cardiff play off cap and a framed Albion shirt.

Took my kids in there in August. They loved me get stuck into a few cold ones, chatting to a baseball umpire who had officiated at the game we had seen the day before and looking at all the sports stuff in there. They wanted to stay all evening (ahem) but I insisted we went round the corner and up the Empire State Building.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dont watch CSI:New York before you go.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Even my ex mate Wardy has blessed Foleys with his presence. AND his current and ex wife! But not at the same time.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Take the kids to the toy shop FAO Schwarz which has the giant keyboard used in the film "Big". Its at 767 Fifth Avenue/58th Street.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Take the kids to the toy shop FAO Schwarz which has the giant keyboard used in the film "Big". Its at 767 Fifth Avenue/58th Street.

Sorry misread your kids' ages at 4 and 7 instead of 14 and 17 so maybe give the toy store a miss.:US:

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
...in case you want some restaurant ideas

Brunch - Pastis and/or Balthazar (sit back and people watch)
Steak - Smith and Wollensky (old school Mafia meets Wall St)
Dinner - Buddakan

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If you want to take the missus (and kids) for a real special meal then go for the River Cafe - just under the Brooklyn Bridge (Brooklyn side). But book before you go. Also, get a cocktail in Grand Central. And finally if you're down in Soho go and have a drink in the soho grand hotel lounge bar - I sat next to Keanu Reeves last time I was in there!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
We went last September and found these guys really useful : New York City Sightseeing Bus Tours

It's about $70 for the ride which seems expensive but it's five hours or more jumping on and off a coach and you get to see all the sights so you can decide where you want to go back to. Some of the guides are out of work actors - we were very lucky and had a guy whose father had been commentator for the Yankees so he knew everything there was to know about NYC. I really cannot recommend highly enough. Book online if you go and get there 30 minutes before the tour starts - it starts from outside the theatre where Mama Mia is playing. Well worth it

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
We used a company called Dial 7 for transfers from the airport (New York City Car & Limousine Service | Manhattan, Brooklyn, NJ & NYC Limo & Car Services
) - just as cheap if not cheaper than a cab and very good service. We pre-booked and then used a courtesy phone once we cleared baggage reclaim. Car was outside in about 2 minutes. A mate of mine used them late last year and said service is still good.

Definitely have a walk around. Only comment on the Empire State at night is that it can get misty. We spent ages in the queue and by the time we got to the top, the mist had set in and could hardly see a thing:facepalm:

For something different, we did the Radio City tour which was very interesting. As it's Mrs H's 40th, you should go to Tiffany's to let her have a look around - just remember to accidentally leave your credit card back in the hotel.

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
first I would suggest going for brekki at THE RED FLAME coffe pot at 67 West 44th Street near 6th Ave. They do a breakfast that will last you till lunch with free coffeee top ups. ( my problem is being English I drink tea ) Would also suggest you try an dbook tickets for statue of liberty as these cannot now be purchased on the day. The empire state building is a must but do it day it in the day and also at night. Try and catch a show on Broadway as it is not to expensive. Ice skating in central park but be careful as the rink is very big. Mrs M broke her shoulder falling over I didn't laugh too much.. I Would suggest you get a map of central park as I have ben twice and both times got lost. basically go and enjoy yourself.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
It's a good time to dig out your copy of "The Warriors" one of my favourite films ever!

Last time I was there was 2000, went up the twin towers etc, :(so my info not up to date.

Best advice I can give, is to get some walking practise in before you go otherwise you may suffer. Its very hard on the feet ankles etc as you end up doing a huge amount of walking whether you plan to or not.

Have a great time, its a top place

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
TOP TIPS

1. Carnegie Deli (around 870 7th avenue)
2. Statten Island ferry at night
3. Find small tucked away sports bars: some show football

'sladegull

fat boy fat
Aug 11, 2007
'slade
Spent 5 days there in mid December and can totally recommend the open top bus tours as a way of seeing everything. There are three loops covering ALL major sites on the island. Wrap up warm as it will be bleedin cold. Google it to get an idea of whats what ......

Would also recommned the boat trip from Pier 83 that takes you out to Ellis Island and the Statue . The late afternoon one comes back in the dark and the Manhatten skyline looks the dogs. A real photographers dream

enjoy

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
It is brilliant, brighton girl, and I enjoyed "playing" on the keyboard and there were loads of adults in there without kids.:lol:

I think it would be a dream come true to reenact the keyboard scene from Big.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here