Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York`s smoking ban.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Apparently although its banned in Central Park, it is still allowed at bus and coach stops.
I can`t work that one out.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The US of hypocrisy is the second most polluting country in the world. Are they about to turn off the furnaces in the industrial cities and stop people choking to death from toxic waste? Nah, whether you smoke or not. Are they going to start selling more 4 cylinder leaner cars in favour of the generally V8 market with it's propensity to burn a lot of fuel and polute? Nah and the cities will still be full of choking smoke, whether you smoke or not. Are they going to ban the relatively low pollutant of smokers daring to smoke outside of four walls, where air circulates? Yeah why not. It just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Smoking cigarettes is pretty much a revenue that most countries Governments can ill afford to lose. It will just penalise non smokers when the central coffers start drying up. Hope the nicotene bashing hordes look forward to that. Oh and if in 30 years we look back and say it was quite revolutionary, then they can wait another 30 years to ban it, when I am snugly tucked up in my wooden overcoat.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Whether it works forever or not, it's making an important statement that human health is more important than how much money can be made from the sale of something dangerous.

I cannot buy into that at all. There is no importance linked to human health in the eyes of Government. Otherwise they would ban the burning of just about every fossil fuel there is, in order to protect our health. It's just bullshit chest thumping from politicians on a power ride.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
If they could just get the tourists to stop aimlessly walking into the bike lanes down broadway and over the brooklyn bridge....

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Apparently although its banned in Central Park, it is still allowed at bus and coach stops.
I can`t work that one out.

basically it wont be banned on the pavements / sidewalks but in all public parks, squares / areas and beaches. Will be interesting to see if someone walkiing down broadway on the sidewalk through times Sq will be breaking the law or not.

As Lyndhurst says - it will be mostly ignored here in the city TBH

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I wish they'd just ban tourists from public places full stop ... they are more of an irritant than smokers

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Listening to radio 5 live this morning, they have just said that New York are to become the first place where smoking is to be banned in all public places. It is now only permitted on your own property. I wonder if we`ll follow suit any time soon.

*First Place in America*

As its already law here in Canada. No smoking in restaurants, pubs or any other public place. Can still smoke outside but cant be withing 9 feet of the doors as the smoke might go inside. Cant smoke in your car if theres kidsu nder hte age of 12 etc etc. My home town was actually one of the first places to do it in Canada and shortly after the whole country followed suit. Its not really that big of an issue, unless its January and its -40 outside......

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
This is so ridiculous, where will it end?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
When we were in the Greek Islands last year it was such a breath of fresh air, if you'll excuse the phrase, to be able to sit in a restaurant and spark up a post-meal oily rag while sitting at your table supping a beer. I'm only a very occasional social smoker, but to have the option to pollute the atmosphere as and when, is rather nice.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
do you think I can apply the law to the couple who live in the apt below me who smoke copious amounts of weapons grade ganja which seeps into the hallway and up to my apt ?....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here