Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New tv advice please can only afford to do this once

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Would normally say Samsung but went to a mates recently who had a LG TV that was absolutely stunning.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I seem to have Samsung everything in my house. Very happy with the TV but tbh you won't go wrong with Panasonic or LG either. All good makes.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Alot of games developers use Samsung because the image quality is high and at a reasonable price.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I bought a 40" Samsung a few months ago and have been very pleased with it - especially since they sorted out the glitch with the surround sound output for HD transmissions.

I have to ask though, do you really need a 50" screen? You'd need to be sat a long way away from it to avoid the picture on standard definition pictures looking annoyingly blocky.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
I am looking to buy a 50 inch led hd tv and have been told to either go for a panosonic or a samsung ? Anyone any ideas what is the better make and what spec i should be looking for ? taking

asive said many times,DONOT BUY FROM DIXONS COMET ETC,GO TO HILLS IN PORTSLADE ASK TO SPEAK TO DAN(HE IS MY NEPHEW),BUT WHAT HE DOESNT KNOW ABOUT TVS AINT WORTH KNOWING,the after sales is superb and they set the whole thing up for you,making sure tv is perfect and your not viewing too far/close etc,and they are cheap

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Bought a 47" LG 3d led about 14 months ago, bloody chuffed to bits with it. 3d is a gizmo but got a few 3d games on my ps3 and get sky 3d for nothing so it still gets used 3 or 4 times a month. Tv itself is about 4 cm thick and weighs 17kg, although for most led tvs you need a soundbar or surround sound for films as the inbuilt speakers are poor owing to not having enough space in the tv to put better speakers in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Two observations...

1. Is it possible to buy a bad set nowadays?

2. No one ever mentions Sony. How times change, eh?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Two observations...

On the first comment, three years ago I bought my current set (Panasonic plasma). It was the third tv I'd bought, the other two were hopeless particularly displaying fast moving action like football etc. The Panasonic sorted that so it's a vote for Panasonic from me.

On the second point, yes it's weird Sony seems to have got left behind in recent years. The first tv I returned was a shiny and its picture was terrible.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
On the first comment, three years ago I bought my current set (Panasonic plasma). It was the third tv I'd bought, the other two were hopeless particularly displaying fast moving action like football etc. The Panasonic sorted that so it's a vote for Panasonic from me.

On the second point, yes it's weird Sony seems to have got left behind in recent years. The first tv I returned was a shiny and its picture was terrible.

I would never buy sony, overpriced and no better

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Also, imho 3D is still shit, wait for another 5-10 years. It is still a novelty that they have nowhere near perfected. Save your money and buy one without. The only thing I have seen that is worth watching in 3D is Golf.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Oh yes and do not under any circumstance buy expensive HDMI leads, they are a con. It is a digital signal and you will lose no quality sending the signal over cheaper cables as the signal is binary.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Two observations...

1. At the cheap end of the market , yes

2. Panasonic , Samsung and LG are just as good as Sony but are more expensive.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Nearly all the big manufacturers use the same components, they're all very good. It's mainly down to personal preference. I prefer Samsung myself.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Two observations...

1 Picture standards and reliability don't appear to be major issues any more and 400-500 quid seems to be the going rate for a decent set, unless you want to get pedantic about black levels. With thinner and thinner sets sound quality can be a big issue so amps with speakers or soundbars can add a lot to a basic setup. OLED, 4k sets and better integrated Internet functionality seem to be the next battle fields for manufacturers.

2 Sony KDL-40HX853 review from the experts at whathifi.com Sony the brand does seem to be suffering an image problem, but the current TV line up deserve a second look.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
If you look at any AV Forum, they will all state buy a Plasma if you are buying a 50" TV, in fact anything over 32" should be plasma. If you want sports, fast action, plasma is the way to go. Most people seem to think that LED is different to LCD, it isn't, LED TV's are LCD screens but lit by LED's.

Note that a lot of TV's, especially in Tesco's, state HD Ready, they are but they are not Full HD (1080p). If you're going to buy only the once, might as well get the full HD. As stated above, Panasonic and Samsung appears to be the way to go. It depends on how fussy you are i.e. with blacks* etc. I think most TV's on sale now will fit the bill. If you are fussy, review the TV's on the AV forums to ensure you get the right spec. I bought one of the first plasma's out, medium spec but very expensive then (£1,500) compared to now and the black's are shocking, I will not do that again.

* no racist jokes :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Oh yes and do not under any circumstance buy expensive HDMI leads, they are a con. It is a digital signal and you will lose no quality sending the signal over cheaper cables as the signal is binary.

True, but be prepared to take the occasional cheap lead back because of duff build quality. :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here