Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Stadium - Hazel Blears speaks

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Indeed. And Manchester City Council is another, quite separate council within Greater Manchester ... with NO responsibility for ANYTHING in Barton, Eccles or Salford.

Except, apparently, a self-appointed right to interfere in the planning processes of a neighbouring authority.

When they lost the argument, at least they didn't then appeal to the High Court.

Salford City Council is one of 10 local authorities in Greater Manchester, which includes:
* Bolton
* Bury
* Cheshire
* Manchester
* Oldham
* Rochdale
* Stockport
* Tameside
* Trafford
* Warrington
* Wigan

Salford (by its own admission) needs the support of the other councils for its employment, skills, purchasing and bargaining powers.
Salford plays "The Manchester" card very heavily whenever it can to help bring people into the city (not many people would visit Salford if it didn't share a border with Manchester.

All of this, makes it a very different situation to ours at Falmer.
Salford will gain very little by upsetting the apple cart in Greater Manchester, and especially by upsetting Manchester City Council.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Salford City Council is one of 10 local authorities in Greater Manchester, which includes:
* Bolton
* Bury
* Cheshire
* Manchester
* Oldham
* Rochdale
* Stockport
* Tameside
* Trafford
* Warrington
* Wigan

Warrington and Cheshire are NOT in Greater Manchester. They're in, er, Warrington and Cheshire.

Salford (by its own admission) needs the support of the other councils for its employment, skills, purchasing and bargaining powers.
Salford plays "The Manchester" card very heavily whenever it can to help bring people into the city (not many people would visit Salford if it didn't share a border with Manchester.

All of this, makes it a very different situation to ours at Falmer.
Salford will gain very little by upsetting the apple cart in Greater Manchester, and especially by upsetting Manchester City Council.

The councils in Greater Manchester do get on most of the time and help each other out, but there have been some ALMIGHTY flounces from time to time when two of them disagree. Also, Manchester council has a vast superiority complex over the rest of them and thinks it should get what it wants all the time.

can I just point out for the record that Hazel Blears is also MP for Salford and as such would have to declare an interest and step aside from formally making the decision...................

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
post-7-71517-Monty_Python_Spanish_Inquisition.jpg
Not even the Spanish Inquisition?

it is still very different being a supporting local MP to Secretary of State where all your decisions set precedents. I want to be positive but just sooooooooo tired and negative (about our chances not about the proposed site)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Another positive indicator that we will get a yes... fantastic!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Ha ha fascinating, cheers for that LB,you've been a star for the steady drips of good news over the years.This ones particularly refreshing, i like the cut of Hazels jib and loved the comment from Mr Thomas reassuring his Salford locals that their stadium delay "won't be as bad as Brightons,thats a worst-case scenario"

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I dont like the look of this woman, plus the fact shes already given her backing to that stadium could mean she thinks she needs to balance it all out and say NO to the next one. Dont get too excited thats all I'm saying!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here