Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New " safe " drinking limit - 3.5 units a week

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
About 4,600 lives in England could be saved by reducing alcohol intake to just half a unit a day, say experts.

The Oxford University report warned that alcohol consumption is a risk factor for many chronic diseases.

The government recommends that men drink no more than three to four units per day and women no more than two to three.

But the current guidelines are "not compatible with optimum protection of public health", the researchers said.

What is a unit of alcohol?
Ill health linked to alcohol is estimated to cost the NHS in England £3.3bn every year.

BBC Health: Alcohol in depth
The Oxford University team used data from the 2006 General Household Survey looking at weekly drinking patterns of 15,000 adults in England.

The researchers used a mathematical model to study death rates from 11 illnesses known to be linked to long-term alcohol use, the British Medical Journal reported.

These included coronary heart disease, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis of the liver, epilepsy and five cancers.

Dr Melanie Nichols, lead author of the paper, said: "Over 4,000 deaths from cancer, heart disease, stroke and liver disease in England could be prevented if drinkers reduced their average level of alcohol consumption to half a unit per person per day - a level much lower than current UK government recommendations.

"Half a unit of alcohol is as little as a quarter of a glass of wine, or a quarter of a pint."

But the researchers said they were not trying to lecture people, just give them the information so they could make an informed decision.

They added there was a widespread belief that alcohol protects against heart disease.

Alcohol Concern chief executive Eric Appleby said that government guidelines must offer the public a realistic way of reducing the risks associated with drinking.

"As alcoholic drinks have started to vary in strength we use 'units' to measure alcohol intake but it can be very difficult for people to understand what this means in practical terms."

But Henry Ashworth, chief executive of the Portman Group, which also represents UK drinks producers, said; "78% of people in the UK drink within recommended low risk guidelines - as set by the chief medical officers.

"Drastically cutting everyone's consumption to half a unit a day (ie one large glass of wine a week) is not the way to reduce harms in the smaller groups who are misusing alcohol and need specific and targeted help".

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Less than 2 pints, 3 small glasses of wine or 4 single spirits a week.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The BMA is 3-4 units a day for a Man 21 to a maximum of 28 but with 2-3 alcohol free days a week that makes 9 - 16 units a week.

to 21 - no problems
over 21 - 50 - Harmful
over 50 - 100 - Harzardess
over 100 - alcoholic

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dr Melanie Nichols sounds like a right party pooper. I'm sure she'd lighten up after a few whisky and cokes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Less than 2 pints, 3 small glasses of wine or 4 single spirits a week.

so it will be ignored and is therefore utterly pointless. especially since we've all been told a glass a day is beneficial.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Lowering the drink limit worries me a bit. There is social stigma attached to drink driving and it is therefore a law that partly polices itself as a direct consequence. If it becomes too easy for one to find ones self over the limit, that stigma will disappear, along with the expediancy and goodwill of the public.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What they're saying is, not drinking is safer than drinking, ground breaking stuff.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I don't take the slightest bit of notice what these so-called "experts" say.
First it's one thing, then more experts say it's something else, then something else.

They don't know what the feck is right.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
What we are comparing is the different amounts allowed for ' an actively healthy lifestyle ' ( the 3.5 units a week ), vs. the amount for a ' lifestyle that won't lead to chronic alchohol related diseases '.

It's exactly the same as saying, well you can eat 3-4 Mars bars a day without getting diabetes, but if you actually want to keep your teeth, minimise fillings, and avoid gingivitis and putting on weight for as long as possible, you shouldn't really be eating any.

Alchohol can form part of a balanced diet so long as you have the kind of active lifestyle that will burn the calories off and keep you fit. Otherwise the Royal Navy wouldn't have issued free rum rations to their crews for so long. It's arguable that now Naval warfare is a sedentary activity instead of one that involves climbing rigging, manhandling capstans, and rowing boats that your average Matelot is better off with a nice skinny latte.

However, there are some, with chronic conditions (i.e. incurable ones that have to be managed, like cirrhosis of the liver, diabetes, or simply a high BMI) where they really do need to stay off the stuff.

Last edited:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
Based on that report, I think I must have been dead for at least 10 years!:(

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Give me the 'good old days' when Guinness was 'good for you' and doctors recommended you take up smoking. We've just got too much information for our own good these days and are becoming an overly neurotic society. Personally I'd rather take my chances and live the way I want to live (while being careful to avoid being a strain on the NHS of course!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here