Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] New Premier League season scheduled to start in 150 days

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I wonder if folk would feel the same if Albion were ten points clear at the top of division two right now.

I would like to think I'd feel the same regardless of our position. All options are going to be bad ones, I just think the null&void option is the least-bad one. Always going to be winners and losers... Liverpool and Leeds will gripe like bitches, while Norwich will be laughing like clowns. We are, no doubt, closer to a 'winner' than a 'loser' but not a factor in my mind.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What about player contracts expiring and 25 man squad restrictions ?

Would we really be allowed to play Andone in July ? Luckily Mooy is now a permanent deal otherwise he'd be back at Huddersfield. Hope we don't need Schelotto after June 30th. Bad luck Leeds, Ben White is back on June 1st.

It would be a complete mess.

The least bad option is void the league and start from scratch in September/October.

All player registrations get extended till the end of the season.

Oh look, I solved it in a single sentence.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
All player registrations get extended till the end of the season.

Oh look, I solved it in a single sentence.
What if the player doesn't want that ? What if the club doesn't want that ?

Last I saw, employment law is still in place.

All signatories to any change in terms would have to agree.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Why mess up two seasons? Agreed. Void the next one, finish this one. Otherwise all the games played since August had as much point as the Dallas episodes after Bobby died

I'd be more than happy for all games played so far to be rendered pointless (pardon the pun)!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
What if the player doesn't want that ? What if the club doesn't want that ?

Last I saw, employment law is still in place.

All signatories to any change in terms would have to agree.

I said player registrations are extended. Contracts don't need to be if the player or club doesn't want to - although in reality 99% of them will be, even if just for a month or so. But the player can't transfer to another club to play, or finish their loan, because the transfer window won't be opened till the season is complete

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I said player registrations are extended. Contracts don't need to be if the player or club doesn't want to - although in reality 99% of them will be, even if just for a month or so. But the player can't transfer to another club to play, or finish their loan, because the transfer window won't be opened till the season is complete

So the transfer window would be delayed ? Nice if a club wants to offload someone off the wage bill.

What if a loan player is having his wages partly paid by the parent club... how does that work ?

Or a loan fee ? Does that get supplemented for the extra time on the loan ?

In summary, it would be a mess if the season is extended beyond May 31st.

All options are bad. Least bad is voiding the season if it can't be finished by May 31.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
So the transfer window would be delayed ? Nice if a club wants to offload someone off the wage bill.

What if a loan player is having his wages partly paid by the parent club... how does that work ?

Or a loan fee ? Does that get supplemented for the extra time on the loan ?

In summary, it would be a mess if the season is extended beyond May 31st.

All options are bad. Least bad is voiding the season if it can't be finished by May 31.

Premier league clubs can absorb all these financial hits. Lower division teams will lose 5 home games that have been budgeted for and will put them into severe financial strife. Gate receipts and match day revenue are pretty much their major source of income and they'll be losing 20% of their home games. These clubs don't have large reserves to cover this. Let them play the games and stay afloat and squeeze next season into a shorter time frame.

I think that's a better place to focus rather than which of Leeds and Brighton has to cover an extra month or two of White's wages, when both clubs are seriously loaded.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Premier league clubs can absorb all these financial hits. Lower division teams will lose 5 home games that have been budgeted for and will put them into severe financial strife. Gate receipts and match day revenue are pretty much their major source of income and they'll be losing 20% of their home games. These clubs don't have large reserves to cover this. Let them play the games and stay afloat and squeeze next season into a shorter time frame.

I think that's a better place to focus rather than which of Leeds and Brighton has to cover an extra month or two of White's wages, when both clubs are seriously loaded.
Of course. I'd like PL and CH teams to help a local L1 or L2 team through this. We could help Crawley. That is a different facet to this.

But my other point is that there are so many issues thrown up by extending the season beyond May 31st that mean that the easiest and cleanest least bad option is to void the season unless - in the very unlikely case - it can be completed by the end of May.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
So we've still never beaten Arsenal away or taken a point off Chelsea in our entire history? That would be a shame.

Still unbeaten in ages against Palace though, so, every cloud...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't see any way around this other than voiding the season. Whilst most of us would accept that Liverpool are worthy champions even if the records didn't reflect that, The Leeds United are nowhere near clear enough to make the same claim in their league, so we'd have at least another splendid year of Leeds fans (all twenty million of them) whimpering, in true Chesterfield FC style, about how they are "the real champions".

I'd LOVE it.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Don't bet against our very own PB coming up with an innovative solution that will help us realign seasons in short term around a winter world cup

May be a good couple of years before another season that starts in August

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here