Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New PC

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I am looking to buy a new PC. I do not need anything major but want something that is going to last awhile and if possible be upgraded. I want to spend about £400. Anyone able to recommend anything. It will need to be a PC and not a Mac since I need to be able to load software that I use at work.

All it needs to have is the OS since I can add everything else myself. Anyone able to make any recommendations?

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Yes, send a PM to hotlips69!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You won't get a Mac with screen for £400 for a starter, but all current model Macs can run Windows - they ARE PCs and have been for a few years now.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Mac Mini is £399 I bet you already have a keyboard, a mouse and a screen. So don't waste your money, just get a mac ( that comes with OS X ) and stick in an old windows disc et voila!

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
And the Mac Mini is a gutless weedy piece of shite compared to what £399 gets you in Aldi even. And even there you get a keyboard and mouse...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Ok fine, you're right, the fewer mac users the better I suppose.
But here's one piece of advice:

Don't buy anything with Windows Vista on it. Get Windows XP instead. Much more reliable and far less confusing

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
but all current model Macs can run Windows

true, but you wouldn't buy a Ferrari and put a Astra engine in it would you
???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
f*** me, the mere mention of Mac and off it goes...

for £400 just get a dell/fujitsu/acer/hp/any random box. it doesnt matter any more, they all offer far more perfromance than you will ever need unless you want to play latest games or do serious video work, in which case you need to double or triple your budget. try to see if there is a local shop you can give you custom to.

yeah, and avoid the Vista.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
true, but you wouldn't buy a Ferrari and put a Astra engine in it would you
???

Except that Tom's suggested he buy a Corsa.

Anyway, until Apple can fix the Vista-like level of problems they've introduced to Leopard, I wouldn't recommend suggesting it to anyone. 10.5.2 is a good start, but nowhere close yet.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
I thought the good thing about macs was you don't have the problems of Windows, so now everyone runs Windows on it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here