Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New mobile phone for son, advice please...

Aug 21, 2011
Hi, I have held off long enough and now feel the time is right to get my 11 year old his first mobile phone, problem is I have no idea what to get.

I dont know whether to get contract or pay as you go and do not want to spend a fortune each month.

I want him to have a basic phone that allows calls and texts but dont want to get such a shite one that he gets the piss taken out of him.

When it comes to phones and best place to them from and also best deals I have no idea where to start so thought I would put it out to the good peolple of NSC for advice... thanks.

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
If you can ignore them trying to tempt you with offers I've always found phones for you quite knowledgeable, then when you've found out what you want, go home and search for the cheapest deals, also Martin Lewis's website is good for money saving tips :)

SWCspider-man

Aug 2, 2011
Brighton
Also of you were gonna go for a contract make sure it's capped, you don't need a surprise 500 quid bill because your sons discovered texting lol

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
NSC Patron
Jan 7, 2006
Given his age, a pay as you go deal is best, most providers give unlimited texts now if you top up say 10 or 15 a month

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Hi, I have held off long enough and now feel the time is right to get my 11 year old his first mobile phone, problem is I have no idea what to get.

I want him to have a basic phone that allows calls and texts but dont want to get such a shite one that he gets the piss taken out of him.

grow and be a real man. tell him to carry a bit of radioactive nonsense is for fools, unless they "really need it." take him out in nature and teach him some stuff, get him involved in your life, what you do.

....or carry on submitting to toxicity in the culture around him? Your the dad, protect your son from this crap until he is older. give him 10p or a phone call if you want him to contact in emergencies.

he doesn't need it.

rant over.....and totally up to you what you do.....but i warn you, his head will be locked into it - away from the world and authenticity around him.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I dont know whether to get contract or pay as you go and do not want to spend a fortune each month.

When it comes to phones and best place to them from and also best deals I have no idea where to start so thought I would put it out to the good peolple of NSC for advice... thanks.

OK. We need a detailed psychological profile of your son before choosing the correct phone for him:

- How good is he at looking after his possessions?
- How good is he at being wise with money?
- How good is he at looking after himself in a fight?
- How trustworthy is he?
- How obsessive is he about technology?
- How popular is he?

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
Join Quidco, follow their link to O2 and get a 12 month SIM only deal, 900 minutes, unlimited texts, 300 O2 to O2 minutes for £21 a month and you can get £70 cash back which can be put towards the cost of a phone.

That deal runs out at midnight.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
got my daughter a Sony experion on tescoe mobile, the phone was
free and the contract £10 a month with Loadsa minutes and text and data which you can restrict but just dowload app Viba and she can text call
as much as she likes for free and they have a nice smart
phone which is not to big for a kid. My daughter loves it.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Tesco do some good deals on pay as you go......top up £10 and get £30 of credit.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
OK. We need a detailed psychological profile of your son before choosing the correct phone for him:

- How good is he at looking after his possessions?
- How good is he at being wise with money?
- How good is he at looking after himself in a fight?
- How trustworthy is he?
- How obsessive is he about technology?
- How popular is he?

Brilliant questions. Answer these honestly and you'll be alright. If you conclude he still must have one, then ask him for advice on what models and go from there. I'll bet he'll want a blackberry as all his mates have one because of the free messaging thingy they have.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Www.giffgaff.com
£10 payg gets you unlimited texts, uncapped Internet and 250 any network anytime minutes all without signing up to a contract, best possible deal.
Also go for a iPhone 3GS for about £100. With the unlimited Internet he can download all the apps he wants etc.
I promise you those 2 combined is your best bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here