Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New keeper wanted from Argus

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Dean Brill is a decent young keeper, but Steve Mildenhall was released by Southend wasn't he? He's pretty damn good aswell to be fair. I would still rather have John Sullivan as the #2... but we have to move on.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Blimey! Dean White must have got a new chemistry set for Christmas. Apparently he's got a couple of ions in the fire.

Time for everyone to duck when that lot goes off?!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Dean Brill is a decent young keeper, but Steve Mildenhall was released by Southend wasn't he? He's pretty damn good aswell to be fair. I would still rather have John Sullivan as the #2... but we have to move on.

We're not looking for a number 2 though...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
This whole story seems to have descended into con-fusion!!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We're not looking for a number 2 though...

I doubt Michel will be dislodged, a new keeper can come in and then Slade will see the better keeper is still Michel.. and therefore the new guy will be #2. :thumbsup:

Hopefully, anyway. FDM is still our #1!!!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I doubt Michel will be dislodged, a new keeper can come in and then Slade will see the better keeper is still Michel.. and therefore the new guy will be #2. :thumbsup:

Hopefully, anyway. FDM is still our #1!!!

What is the point of that? If we only wanted a number 2, we would have kept Sullivan and let him develop as a played.

The fact they have released Sullivan suggests they want at least a keeper that can challenge Kuipers, if not replace him as number 1. In fairness Kuipers will be 34 next season and last season he did not look at his best for long periods of the season (when he was fit).

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What is the point of that? If we only wanted a number 2, we would have kept Sullivan and let him develop as a played.

The fact they have released Sullivan suggests they want at least a keeper that can challenge Kuipers, if not replace him as number 1. In fairness Kuipers will be 34 next season and last season he did not look at his best for long periods of the season (when he was fit).

Indeed. I would be very very surprised if we don't have (quite rightly if we are planning to be a championship club) a new number 1 at the start of next season.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

:rolleyes: What a suprise.

Obviously a new keeper will come in, and obviously he'll challenge for the #1, that's not really sticking your neck out in a prediction is it. I was saying that Michel will beat off the new competition, as he always does and despite what you say there, the stats will tell you that he actually performed very well when he played for us. Not perfect, obviously. But at 34 he's still fairly young for a keeper, Dave Beasant was brilliant for us in the Championship a few years ago was he not, aged 42 I believe.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove

Obviously a new keeper will come in, and obviously he'll challenge for the #1, that's not really sticking your neck out in a prediction is it. I was saying that Michel will beat off the new competition, as he always does and despite what you say there, the stats will tell you that he actually performed very well when he played for us. Not perfect, obviously. But at 34 he's still fairly young for a keeper, Dave Beasant was brilliant for us in the Championship a few years ago was he not, aged 42 I believe.

He had a point though.

We need a new keeper. We could have keeped sullivan but we didn't. FDM is now going to be no.2. He's a great servant to the club and will one day play at Falmar.

We will sign a decent keeper. I dont know who it is but i know we will sign him.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Firstly get over yourself, if you did not put such drivel on here, I am sure I would not pick up on it.

Kuipers has not been all that great for a few seasons now. He did OK in the season that we finished 7th, but last season he was not all that good, if you think otherwise, well you must either be watching different games or have no clue about the game and what constitutes a good keeper.

Kuipers has been a good servant, but the reality is the horror injuries he has had (Norwich in 03, Forest in 05 and that car crash) have taken a lot out of his game. However recently we have been happy to try and develop Martin and then Sullivan and get by with Kuipers. It seems next season we are going to try and have 2 decent players for each position and that includes the keeper and I suspect the keeper that comes in will start the season at number 1.

Still carry on deluding yourself, it helps pass the time.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
He had a point though.

We need a new keeper. We could have keeped sullivan but we didn't. FDM is now going to be no.2. He's a great servant to the club and will one day play at Falmar.

We will sign a decent keeper. I dont know who it is but i know we will sign him.

I think Kuipers will be gone at the end of his contract (next season I believe) . Slade isn't one for sentiment and if Kuipers isn't number 1 Slade will want to get the higher earners off the wage bill that he doesn't need.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I think Kuipers will be gone at the end of his contract (next season I believe) . Slade isn't one of sentiment and if Kuipers isn't number 1 Slade will want to get the higher earners off the wage bill that he doesn't need.

I tend to agree. Next season means he will have earnt a testimonial.

The reality is, if Roberts had not had to retire, Kuipers would have gone whilst McGhee was manager.

NF9

Feb 24, 2009
Brighton
FDM will always be loved by Brighton even if he did leave, but despite my love of Kuipers a younger option might be better for this season and Brighton in the long run.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
I think Kuipers will be gone at the end of his contract (next season I believe) . Slade isn't one for sentiment and if Kuipers isn't number 1 Slade will want to get the higher earners off the wage bill that he doesn't need.

I didn't realise that his contract was up at the end of the season. I guess lots more of our 'fringe' players are aswell. So maybe he won't play at Falmer.

Your right. I don't beleave Slade or Lizard, has the sentiment to keep him on for another season, just to play him for one game.

Sad really, I bet he thought we would be there by now, like us all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Firstly get over yourself, if you did not put such drivel on here, I am sure I would not pick up on it.

Kuipers has not been all that great for a few seasons now. He did OK in the season that we finished 7th, but last season he was not all that good, if you think otherwise, well you must either be watching different games or have no clue about the game and what constitutes a good keeper.

Kuipers has been a good servant, but the reality is the horror injuries he has had (Norwich in 03, Forest in 05 and that car crash) have taken a lot out of his game. However recently we have been happy to try and develop Martin and then Sullivan and get by with Kuipers. It seems next season we are going to try and have 2 decent players for each position and that includes the keeper and I suspect the keeper that comes in will start the season at number 1.

Still carry on deluding yourself, it helps pass the time.

What a load of nonsense, you'd quote me whatever I said, I think just about everyone on the forum will have noticed that by now... :thumbsup:

As for deluding myself, I'm talking about facts and I'm talking about a goalkeeper I've seen play live dozens of times this season, Michel Kuipers is still one of the best goalkeepers in the league, you'll disagree obviously but I believe that and I have alot of other goalkeepers to compare him with.

I don't think the new goalkeeper will be #1 next season, I don't think he'll dislodge FDM, not straight away anyway. You never what's going to happen of course, but I would be suprised if Michel wasn't our first choice on the opening day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here