Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New job decisions

buller89

Aug 9, 2007
Horsham
I have been commuting to West London everyday from Horsham for nearly two years now and i think it might be time to move on. Im considering something closer to home as the drive is doing my head in. Its the age old scenario of the grass always being greener. I do love the job and i like who i work with and its always the worry that if you leave you may end up regretting it.

And although the drive is a slog, you do have the benifit of london wages.

Any of the good people of NSC had to make a similar decision recently? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It can't hurt to look around but don't make the mistake of jacking it in before having something else lined up that's more convenient.

And don't underestimate the worth of that London paypacket. Life is very expensive and wages round these parts do not match up

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I picked the area that I bought my house based on where I work. The area is ok if a little quiet but the journey to work is only 5 minutes on my bike. It was the best decision I could have made. When I listen to other people in my team talking about how they spend up to 10 hours a week in their cars just getting to and from work it makes me appreciate that I can be at home 5 minutes after leaving work.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I picked the area that I bought my house based on where I work. The area is ok if a little quiet but the journey to work is only 5 minutes on my bike. It was the best decision I could have made. When I listen to other people in my team talking about how they spend up to 10 hours a week in their cars just getting to and from work it makes me appreciate that I can be at home 5 minutes after leaving work.

Same here my friend works up in london and may finish at 5 but not get home till 7.30, were as i finish at 5 and im home at 5.10, after he takes away his travel hes only on £500 and a year more than myself, not worth imo.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Depends what you really want doesn't it, my job recently relocated to the South East and I decided to make the jump to something different because I couldn't face the prospect of moving again, nor could I afford the same standard of living on the wage I was being paid. I guess all things are relative, but the main issue was housing, giving up a fairly decent sized house in a pleasant part of town for a small one or two bed flat wasn't something that I was prepared to do, that was all I could have afforded.

I think many people are blinkered into believing that it is only possible to have a challenging or well paid job in the South of England, yes the wages may be more but the majority of that is taken up by the higher cost of living.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here