Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Forest to The Amex advice

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If it was me, as you will already be in the A27 then sail past Brighton and park at Lewes station. Trains are better from there and, after the game, less crowded so you'll get away quicker and probably back heading west before you know it!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Which part of Somerset are you travelling from?

I'd suggest giving the A272 / A283 a go from the M3/A34 junction. Fantastic countryside and never a hold-up when I drive that way. It's not quick, but it's consistent and avoids Chichester, Arundel and Worthing snarl ups.

Thanks for that. I will give it a try next time. Normal journey is from Worcester but the kids live in Bridgwater so if I take the grandhildren to a game we travel from there cross country via Salisbury then M3?M27/A27 but there were three or 4 points where we were held up in heavy traffic and if it is likely to be that way every time I'd rather another route.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
I used to drive to Mill Road but since they shut the service road it is normally full by 6.30 or 1.30 so inevitable is full by the time I get there. Used Mitras House and Racecourse P&R last year, but have started to park by London Road station now and get the train. If you are coming from New Forest leave time for Arundel as this can be a nightmare and also Worthing can be nightmare, took me 2 and half hours for Cardiff when it would normally take about 1 and half. Where are you staying in New Forest?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We take our trailer tent down to West Moors which is near A31 Ferndown and Ringwood, every September just after the children go back to school for 10 days. Last year we just missed the Leeds game and watched it on sky but this year I want to go to Sheff Wed game rather than watch on TV. If we leave at about 3.00pm we should be ok at Mill Rd then but may have to go via Guildford to pick up grandson, in which case I will go to Preston Park and park there possibly.

Last edited:

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
We take our trailer tent down to West Moors which is near A31 Ferndown and Ringwood, every September just after the children go back to school for 10 days. Last year we just missed the Leeds game and watched it on sky but this year I want to go to Sheff Wed game rather than watch on TV. If we leave at about 3.00pm we should be ok at Mill Rd then but may have to go via Guildford to pick up grandson, in which case I will go to Preston Park and park there possibly.

If you are going to to Mill Road then make sure you are there before 6.30, I got the at 6.40 on Tuesday and they were full! I think Wednesday have sold out their allocation so will be busy, the other thing if the traffic is like it was on Tuesday then it will prob take 35 to 45 mins to get to Amex from Mill Rd. A straight run to Mill Rd from West Moors should take about 1 hour 20 but not sure about how long if you via Guildford.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I drive in from Southampton.

For Saturday games I get the train - much easier

For midweek games I drive to Shoreham and then get the train. Usually get to Shoreham by 6.15 which gives plenty of time to get to Falmer. Last Tuesday, got the 6.43 from Shoreham and that cut it a bit fine but was still ok.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I drive in from Southampton.

For Saturday games I get the train - much easier

For midweek games I drive to Shoreham and then get the train. Usually get to Shoreham by 6.15 which gives plenty of time to get to Falmer. Last Tuesday, got the 6.43 from Shoreham and that cut it a bit fine but was still ok.

Do you park at Shoreham station?

If yes how much does it cost?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
If you are going to to Mill Road then make sure you are there before 6.30, I got the at 6.40 on Tuesday and they were full! I think Wednesday have sold out their allocation so will be busy, the other thing if the traffic is like it was on Tuesday then it will prob take 35 to 45 mins to get to Amex from Mill Rd. A straight run to Mill Rd from West Moors should take about 1 hour 20 but not sure about how long if you via Guildford.

1Hr 20 mins from West Moors, I've been driving most of this route since just after they got rid of the Man with the red flag. Transport has been 750cc Motorcycles to Porsches and most things in between. When they started putting computers in cars I tried and tried to improve on 58Mph average speed between Woodingdean and M27 Jkt7. Almost impossible to improve on even at 2AM I would say.
Strangely enough when I was much younger and there was no dual carriageway between Hangleton and Hamble, I regularly timed it at 55 Minutes.
Timing is all important for journeys on the A/M27. Best time of day to travel is between 11 and say 2 o'clock.
As has been said Race Hill is best, you can then nip down Freshfield Road and along the Seafront to Shoreham Harbour then up to Holmbush and onto the 27.

i would like some advice from people who do this route often as to which ios the best. I shall be in the new forest and travelling back for the sheff wed evening game which is the bet route:

1. Park and ride mill rd
2. Park at a station en route like worthing or shoreham or even hove
3. Other park and ride sites
4. Park in brighton and jump on the bus

all sensible advice would be appreciated as obviously i want to get back to the new forest as soon as possible after the game and 3 more points but not on my license.

Park up in hangleton near grenadier, then jump on the h or s bus then back again after game in 30 minutes. Another 2 minutes and you are on the bypass:thumbsup:

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
I live only a few miles from West Moors and I normally leave home at 5-ish for mid week 7.45 KO (earliest I can get away due to work) and have always used Mithras. I did not miss a kick off at all last season but it can be a bit of a stressful journey nevertheless.
I leave on final whistle, jostle to the P&R and am normally home around midnight for midweek/eve games or seven following a 3 pm kick off.

C1 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Park in Coldean walk 15 mins to Amex. Nil faff with trains/buses, guaranteed to be back on A27, 20 mins after you leave the stadium. We used to do p and r but too many 45 min waits for a bus did it for us. Normally back in Andover by midnight midweek or 19.30 on a saturday :)

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
My advice would be to avoid travelling on the A27 at all costs .
Far too many hippys along that route .
The temptation to stop will be too great , thus putting your schedule way out of whack .

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke

I think you`ll find that this game is not on TV.

The Charlton Palarse game is on:annoyed:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought that it was on TV that was the reason for the change to a Friday evening obviously I am mistaken. What time do the P & R operate from.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Park up in hangleton near grenadier, then jump on the h or s bus then back again after game in 30 minutes. Another 2 minutes and you are on the bypass:thumbsup:

That sounds good advice as I believe the Grenadier does food many thanks. I will try not to take the p..s in future. lol Just one point do we just present our ST to cover the cost or do we have to pay on those buses not that it is important but useful to know so as to not look stupid.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That sounds good advice as I believe the Grenadier does food many thanks. I will try not to take the p..s in future. lol Just one point do we just present our ST to cover the cost or do we have to pay on those buses not that it is important but useful to know so as to not look stupid.

The H bus will be good going in, but i see that you are more worried about getting away quickly. If you use the H bus then you need to be in the East stand and away on the final whistle. The special buses get filled very quickly and once they have gone, i'ts a 40 -50 minute wait for them to come back. If you're not in the East i would suggest Mill RD P&R which you can get to early (before it fills up) and although the queue may be a little longer from the ground, the buses run constantly and you'll be away quicker and back on the A27.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here