Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New editor of the Argus is this guy.....

......Mick Beard, from the Hastings Observer.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/news/2004/12dec/041223ed.shtml

He's apparently a traditionalist in journalistic terms, so get ready for all the parish-pump, cat-up-a-tree stuff to make a big comeback.

Alas, the owners of the Argus lost faith in the recent efforts to modernise and turn it into a middle-market, populist yet intelligent read.

All the grannies who read the Argus didn't want to know, the younger readership it was aimed at won't buy newspapers, the sales fell and so that was the end of Simon Bradshaw's brave experiment.

It's an awful outcome really for local newspaper journalists and it's hard to see any other future for the Argus now than a prolonged and steady decline and eventual death as the grannies it will now chase gradually die off themselves.

The owners of the Argus, Newsquest and their American owners Gannett, really are a bunch of short-sighted, money-grubbing ***** with not an ounce of journalistic integrity.

If you think the Argus is currently poor when compared to national newspapers, just wait until you see it a year from now.

I really wonder how long we'll see the Sports Argus survive, a fairly obvious target for the Newsquest accountants you'd think.

A great shame :nono: :nono:

.......but in the interests of balance, of course some people will be happy.

http://forums.thisismidsussex.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2144

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
You may be right as to it's eventual decline (and sadly the loss of the Sports Argus) but personally I would welcome some sort of change as I think the Argus is neither fish nor fowl at the present.

However the most important question is - is he pro or anti Falmer? Also is he the same 'Mick Beard' who posts on here? I assume not.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
But is he an Albion Supporter ????

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why didn't you apply for the job LI, you have a charming affable way about you?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I'm afraid Simon Bradshaw was simply trying to polish a turd, it probably needed re-naming too. That rag has such a poor reputation now, that as LI says, it will either die or need to be re-launched under a completely different name.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I had a day up there just after Bradshaw had left and the place was in limbo with people pretty much just carrying on as they would have had Bradshaw still been there.

I do hope that it does not go back to 'cat up a tree / local fete' type news.

Needs completely repackaging.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I only bought the argus for albion news anyway and if it can go back to an 'our club' type of reporting then I think that will be better. If I want impartial observations I would buy a national newspaper.

Isn't that the role of a 'local' newspaper?

Attilio the Hun

Dec 14, 2004
Too close for comfort
There's a cat up a tree ??!!! What sorta cat? How high's the tree? Did the fire engine attend?

Cool beans! I gotta get me a subscription! :bounce:

Creased Up used to be brilliant, though, didn't it? Eh? Eh?

Oh.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
The hastings Obsever has a decent coverage of local football and all levels, usually at least 3 pages and no premiership nonsense. Its not really a cat up tree paper, more a heres the latest crack house bust and why do councillors spend so much money on consultatnts rag really. Hastings is more Beruit than quaint old persons village so the fella might bring a bit of localness to the argus backpage.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Got a mate who worked for him a few years ago .... he said he was a traditionalist, but did give reporters plenty of slack for big investigations and off-diary stuff .... he is also a guy who likes campaigns!

Last edited:

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I wasnt Bradshaws biggest fan. Fancy not sacking Naylor? :lolol:

Seriously, as long as I get the Albion refereed to as 'we' then I'll be happy.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like very good news to me. The Argus has improved tremendously and I am sorry to hear that readership has declined, but people buy local papers for local news and I think that is something the Argus has always done really well. Hopefully this new guy will take it forward.

I also think the Albion coverage in the Argus has improved a lot over the past year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here