Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Drivers. a cautionary tale.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Man of Harveys said:
Oddly enough, the DVLA appears to be of the opinion that shouting "you stupid old f**king c**t" out of a car window on your driving test is sufficient for them to fail you
:lolol: :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I genuinely feel sorry for you Frank.

Clearly going through a traffic light is bad form, but anyone is capable of picking up 3 points, and those that say they don't speed are liars because everyone does it, to a greater or lesser extent.

The penalty system should be designed to penalised the 5% poor drivers, not the 30-odd % of the driving population who have got points.

British drivers were the best I'd come across on my travels prior to the mass appearance of speed cameras, and I've seen nothing to suggest people drive more safely or with more consideration as a result of cameras.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
a camera was put up somewhere in north wales (cant remember exactly where) after a motorist ran over someone who had jumped off a bridge onto the dual carridgeway

even if the driver was speeding im sure the person was already dead on the road before the accident. Just becasue it is an accident hotspot does not mean speeding causes the accidents. and everyone doing 70 on a motorway is much more dangerous than people doing speeds they are comftorbale with

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pavilionaire said:

Clearly going through a traffic light is bad form, but anyone is capable of picking up 3 points, and those that say they don't speed are liars because everyone does it, to a greater or lesser extent.

The penalty system should be designed to penalised the 5% poor drivers, not the 30-odd % of the driving population who have got points.

British drivers were the best I'd come across on my travels prior to the mass appearance of speed cameras, and I've seen nothing to suggest people drive more safely or with more consideration as a result of cameras.

The penalty system is there to deter people from speeding offences. Speeding costs lives.

The driving test should be harder or indeed perhaps everyone should take the advanced driving test.

Penalty points are there to ban persistent offenders.

If you dont want them, dont speed. Or at least dont speed where there are cameras

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
BarrelofFun said:
The penalty system is there to deter people from speeding offences. Speeding costs lives.

The driving test should be harder or indeed perhaps everyone should take the advanced driving test.

If you dont want them, dont speed. Or at least dont speed where there are cameras

Do you drive?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
i was lucky to not get any points since ive passed a year ago but i could easioly have racked up the neccessary points needed to retake my test, and i dont even drive often.

these rules do not often change the mindset of many who just forget about the speed limits(guilty), it takes an accident, or a death of someone u know by speed to really hit home the importance of these limits, as sadly i have found out.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
BarrelofFun said:

Can you honestly say you have never gone over the limit at any time in your life?

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
surrey jim said:
Can you honestly say you have never gone over the limit at any time in your life?

If he drives and says no then his a liar

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
My point exactly, I probabaly speed on average every day - (not to an unsafe level however)
My job involves traveling and going up and down motorways i usally go at 85-90. However around schools where the cameras should be sited i never go over 30

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yes I do drive and perhaps I have moved over the limit but not far enough to get caught by a camera.I feel very strongly about sppeding. I never met my aunt as she was killed by a speeder, and my Dads childhood sweetheart/ fiancee, was knocked down by a speeding motorist.

Out of all my friends and family and people I know. I would say less than 5% have points. How you can begin to suggest that the present system is unfair is beyond me.

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
I drive for a living and if i don't speed at the right times i wouldn't get my job done.I've been driving for five years and haven't had points yet or caused an accident(touch wood)I get my 5 years no claims in Jan:clap:

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
BarrelofFun said:
Yes I do drive and perhaps I have moved over the limit but not far enough to get caught by a camera.I feel very strongly about sppeding. I never met my aunt as she was killed by a speeder, and my Dads childhood sweetheart/ fiancee, was knocked down by a speeding motorist.

Out of all my friends and family and people I know. I would say less than 5% have points. How you can begin to suggest that the present system is unfair is beyond me.

Because it has been proven that the police are making money out of the motorist.Camera's haven't reduced speeding in a lot of areas but actually increased it.But i agree with that if anyone is caught doing a ton then they should be band automatically.It's people who haven't passed or band from driving who are the menace.Especailly people with no insurance.If you kill someone and your not supposed to be behind a wheel then you should get life.No exceptions

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pavilionaire said:

Difficult to measure as I am sure car ownership is always increasing and more people take to the roads, in certain areas due to poor public transport.

So even if road deaths stay the same, proportionally they would decrease

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
The transport system isn't to bad.It's the bloody stupid prices you have to pay.Thank god i drive

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
rogue said:
Because it has been proven that the police are making money out of the motorist.Camera's haven't reduced speeding in a lot of areas but actually increased it.But i agree with that if anyone is caught doing a ton then they should be band automatically.It's people who haven't passed or band from driving who are the menace.Especailly people with no insurance.If you kill someone and your not supposed to be behind a wheel then you should get life.No exceptions

I thought it was accidents had increased not speeding, in various isolated areas. But agree that people should be banned if they speed over 100. And life sentences for uninsured drivers that kill people etc.

Last edited:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
rogue said:

Totally agree mate, though in many ways ways the current system is shite - if a driver is uninsured the fine the driver incurs is much less than the cost of insurance in the first place.

I was hit by an uninsure driver in May, she caused £200 worth of damage yet the police would not come out as no one was injured. :censored: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here