Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New deal for Ashley Barnes...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
For me Barnes offers more than CMS, who is a poor finisher at this level, runs into 'blind alleys', has a poor first touch and offers nothing aerially or defensively. His saving grace is that he harries defences into going long, thus losing possession.

Barnes has an ever improving touch, good vision and awareness of team mates, he is defensively sound and reasonable in the air. He doesn't have the pace of CMS, but positions himself more intelligently.

Barnes every time for me at this level.

Good summation.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sure and we do need 3, and I'm not sure Becchio is actually better than Barnes so not convinced we need more strikers if we get Ash to sign on

There is a load of guff in this thread, but this smashes it. Becchio is superior to Barnes in every way.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
This.

Contracts mean bugger all in the grand scheme of things. If a Premier club comes calling he will be gone in a shot. Bennett is a good example.

Kind of agree but Bennett is an example of stayed 6 months to help us get promoted and then left (could have gone at Xmas hence went for a Championship club's buying fee not a Prem club's price)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
CMS has played as a striker only, Barnes has hardly played upfront at all in the last two seasons and I'm not sure the goal stats are that different, we'll have to ask Acker on that one :smile:

Definitely going to have to agree to differ on Barnes first touch, I think it has come on in leaps and bounds over the last year. Looks comfortable on the ball and lays off well, the opening goal against Derby being a good example.

Scaring defenders, CMS wins hands down except he's a bit lightweight once he gets in the box. Spends quite a bit of time on his arse arms out appealing for a foul that wasn't

Ashley's stats - http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/97737/ashley-barnes?cc=5739

CMS's stats - http://espnfc.com/player/_/id/15925/cc/5739

Just a snapshot comparison, last season:

Barnes started 29 games (plus sub 10), scored 9 goals from 53 shots (6 shots per goal) of which 24 were on target (accuracy 2.4 shots on target per goal).
CMS started 26 games (plus sub 7), scored 11 goals from 41 shots (4 shots per goal) of which 20 were on target (accuracy 1.8 shots on target per goal).
Ulloa started 19 games (plus sub 1), scored 10 goals from 29 shots (3 shots per goal) of which 11 were on target (accuracy nearly 1 shot on target per goal).

Ashley had 5 credited assists, CMS had one, Leo had 2.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
For me Barnes offers more than CMS, who is a poor finisher at this level, runs into 'blind alleys', has a poor first touch and offers nothing aerially or defensively. His saving grace is that he harries defences into going long, thus losing possession.

Barnes has an ever improving touch, good vision and awareness of team mates, he is defensively sound and reasonable in the air. He doesn't have the pace of CMS, but positions himself more intelligently.

Barnes every time for me at this level.

A sound argument, however played up front then I am pretty sure most defenders would rather play against Barnes than CMS

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
CMS has played as a striker only, Barnes has hardly played upfront at all in the last two seasons and I'm not sure the goal stats are that different, we'll have to ask Acker on that one :smile:

I'd have to get on my laptop for the exact figures, but this has come up before, and I believe Ashley edged it 2011/12 and Craig edged it 2912/13 and if you combine both seasons it's much of a muchness. I think much like ankergren and brezovan they have different strengths and weaknesses but overall they result in similar stats.

Regards Ashley's first touch, I never noticed it being particularly poor in 2011/12 but kept seeing a lot of complaints about it so paid particular attention during 2012/13 and either people were overstating it the previous season or it improved significantly because he had a pretty good first touch last year. Sure there were occasions when it wasn't great, when the ball was fizzed at him or he had a lapse or whatever, but generally it was very good, I remember him picking the ball out of the air wonderfully on at least a couple of occasions.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Regards Ashley's first touch, I never noticed it being particularly poor in 2011/12 but kept seeing a lot of complaints about it so paid particular attention during 2012/13 and either people were overstating it the previous season or it improved significantly because he had a pretty good first touch last year. .

No. No. I won't have that for ONE second.

How DARE you suggest people over-exaaggerated a non-existent complaint.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here