Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New car advice

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I'll second that, since buying a Focus, can't imagine driving anything else, unless I win the lottery, in which case would probably just get a RS :thumbsup:

Thirded. Brilliant cars, my one. Owned 4years total milage is 135,000 miles, still smoother than a friends MG ZR which has done 35,000.

Still sales thru MOT except a tyre or two.

FOCUS = :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I enjoy my Mazda3 Sport, loads of kit for decent price, dual air con, heated front screen, bluetooth for ipod, bose system, keyless entry got mine from Lifestyle Mazda in Eastbourne.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Last edited:

Thanks all - looks like a trip round all of the garages I can find today. Start the new job on Monday with the company car going back next Thursday and my redundancy money coming next Wednesday so all a bit tight for time. Had two interviews and one come with a car so I have had to wait until now to see if I need one. Because the Quango gravy train has come to an end and I will be on reduced wages. my plan was to get a new one with a long warranty to cut out any expensive repair bills but sound like it is still worth looking at 2nd hand ones as well so a busy day in propsect.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Those new Fiat 500s look the dogs. I got taken for a spin in one a few weeks back. It had a very nice dog-tooth interior.

I had to buy a car a few years back and bought one of them new Beetle things. Very nice it was as well. Add a Mini and I've exhausted my car knowledge.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Skoda, cheap because it says 'Skoda' on the front but it's actually a VW which stands for quality in any language, the same goes for Seat. Hondas and Mazdas (the Mazda 3 is basically a Focus) are sensible too. Not keen on French or Italian cars because of their poor build quality and recent Nissans and Toyotas have been a bit suspect too. Kias are not a bad buy either as are Hyundis if you can get past the stigma of them being Korean. They are well made if not too exciting.

However at the right price if you can find one little is better than a Subaru.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If you don't mind the image Kia are giving 7 year and Hyundai 5 year warranties. Look up reliability charts an you may be surprised. I drove one of these a few weeks ago and was quite impressed.
1130548342_b06a89a1f8.jpg

*disclaimer* I am an old git who doesn't care what badge is on the front

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Thanks all - looks like a trip round all of the garages I can find today. Start the new job on Monday with the company car going back next Thursday and my redundancy money coming next Wednesday so all a bit tight for time. Had two interviews and one come with a car so I have had to wait until now to see if I need one. Because the Quango gravy train has come to an end and I will be on reduced wages. my plan was to get a new one with a long warranty to cut out any expensive repair bills but sound like it is still worth looking at 2nd hand ones as well so a busy day in propsect.

If you want a warranty you can always get a third party one (not the AA crap, I think Warranty Direct are pretty good) but what you got to think is that on a 2005/2006 car the largest hit of depreciation has happened and any major problems / recalls would have happened by now, plus if you buy it at a reputable garage then they usually give you 6 months / 1 year warranty on it anyway.

You also got to realise if you buy a new car at say, 10K today you'll lose about 3K in value just by driving it off the garage forecourt and do you really think you'll spend 3K in repairs on a car that's a few years old? I'd rather have it sitting in my bank for a rainy day.

If you don't mind the image Kia are giving 7 year and Hyundai 5 year warranties. Look up reliability charts an you may be surprised. I drove one of these a few weeks ago and was quite impressed.
1130548342_b06a89a1f8.jpg

*disclaimer* I am an old git who doesn't care what badge is on the front
I've been driving hybrids for the last 5 years so I don't think I could claim any kind of street cred when it comes to cars. :lolol: Going to pop to Seaford later to have a look at the i20 as that could fit the bill - nice kit and a 1.2 that is still low tax. Not sure the 1 litre ones are really up to trip.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I've been driving hybrids for the last 5 years so I don't think I could claim any kind of street cred when it comes to cars. :lolol: Going to pop to Seaford later to have a look at the i20 as that could fit the bill - nice kit and a 1.2 that is still low tax. Not sure the 1 litre ones are really up to trip.

I have driven a couple of them (I am Jeremy Clarkson, but don't tell anyone :blush:), and it's definitely worth trying the 1.4 as well as the 1.2

I'm not a hyundai salesman, i have just driven a lot of cars. This is the best I have driven recently, but the visibilty is not good in wet weather on the heathfield to Crawley run
DSC_1709-800x535.jpg

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Not sure the 1 litre ones are really up to trip.
If you're doing Hailsham to Crawley, then your speed is governed by the crawling old doris about 20 cars in front (unless you are the crawling old doris).
A bloke in my office does it quite happily every day in a panda diesel. Fortunately I only go in once a week so run a rather juicy Saab (costs me twice as much for a trip up there)

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I'd agree with the Focus. The only trouble with ours is that it seems to eat up front tyres at a rate of knots, but apart from that it's been great and running well for years.

Ford Focus (am a Driving Instructor and had plently, and these by far most reliable).

For your budget you should be able to find one a couple of years old. The TDCI diesels are super economical and low tax and perform super.

Personally I would not buy. Put your money in bank (or dont borrow) and go and lease one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here