Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New camera help please

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
hello NSC, i wish to tap into the wealth of obscure knowledge found on this site. Due to the impending arrival of mini, i have decided i would like to buy a camera, as my phone camera is rubbish. I'd like something a bit more sophisticated than a point and click digital camera, but i really dont think i need something as good as a dslr camera. Therefore have decided on a bridge camera is probably the way forward, but i honestly have no clue. It is at this point i hand over to you fine people to point me in the right direction. budget circa £250ish?
thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
hello NSC, i wish to tap into the wealth of obscure knowledge found on this site. Due to the impending arrival of mini, i have decided i would like to buy a camera, as my phone camera is rubbish. I'd like something a bit more sophisticated than a point and click digital camera, but i really dont think i need something as good as a dslr camera. Therefore have decided on a bridge camera is probably the way forward, but i honestly have no clue. It is at this point i hand over to you fine people to point me in the right direction. budget circa £250ish?
thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Some of the point and click digital cameras are amazing quality, and will deliver as good as a lot of bridge and dslr camera's.

I have a DSLR, and do enjoy experimenting with different lens types, playing with f-stop, exposure, ISO settings etc. It is a lot of kit though, and I end up taking as many shots with my iPhone.

If you really feel this is something where you will get into experimenting with various settings, and potentially looking at alternative lens options, then a bridge camera is probably a good idea. However, for £250, a good point and shoot camera will have a similar range of manually operated settings, and will probably give you better quality as a result, and possibly something that is easier to carry, and then used more.

This is quite a good forum to find out further info. http://www.photography-forum.org

and there is a separate thread on this forum: http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?244943-General-Photography-thread&highlight=Photography

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Ask youself if you are happy to lug a bridge camera around with you. It wont fit in your pocket or hang on your belt like a compact.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I'd highly recommend a Canon G12, many friends who are photographers recommended it to me. It's great quality and most pros use one when they don't want to lug their big SLRs around with them

Might be over the £300 mark though.

The Canon PowerShot G12 is the 2010 version of Canon’s premium compact camera, aimed at the DSLR owner looking for a backup model or the enthusiast who wants DSLR functionality without the added size and weight.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
No need to look any further. Having had a similar problem I took the advice of Jack straw et al on the other thread. I found a reconditioned Panasonic DMC-TZ18 on Amazon.
There are later models, all slightly different versions of the same Camera. They are all good, I found out after I brought mine that my Sister had had an early version for years.
It is far better than the Fuji bridge camera I had earlier bought my Son. Much more useful as well as it lives in a little pouch attached to my belt, ready for instant use.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5456089 said:
I'd highly recommend a Canon G12, many friends who are photographers recommended it to me. It's great quality and most pros use one when they don't want to lug their big SLRs around with them

Might be over the £300 mark though.
Perfect,... I have the G10, its fantastic, fully auto, but all the manual stuff too,... very sophisticated, big view screen, lots of gadgety functions.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
no need to look any further. Having had a similar problem i took the advice of jack straw et al on the other thread. I found a reconditioned panasonic dmc-tz18 on amazon.
There are later models, all slightly different versions of the same camera. They are all good, i found out after i brought mine that my sister had had an early version for years.
It is far better than the fuji bridge camera i had earlier bought my son. Much more useful as well as it lives in a little pouch attached to my belt, ready for instant use.

​listen to this man.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
If you can extend your budget by a little than this Nikon 1 V1 Black Digital Camera with 10-30mm Lens (VVA101K001) - Wex Photographic
would be a decent starting point. I'd recommend those is reading plenty of reviews of any models you like the look of. Also find a local independent retailer near you and visit them, speak to them about what budget you've got and what cameras you are considering, they will be more than happy to help and demo some kit with you so you get the right camera for you.

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
No need to look any further. Having had a similar problem I took the advice of Jack straw et al on the other thread. I found a reconditioned Panasonic DMC-TZ18 on Amazon.
There are later models, all slightly different versions of the same Camera. They are all good, I found out after I brought mine that my Sister had had an early version for years.
It is far better than the Fuji bridge camera I had earlier bought my Son. Much more useful as well as it lives in a little pouch attached to my belt, ready for instant use.

I use the TZ20 for the season ticket site it is simple point and shoot for those who want this and by various degrees up to full manual for those who know what they are doing. Remember different people sit in the seat and everyone of them has to be able to use the camera right off the bat and some of the results are stunning.

It is small powerful and can produce fantastic results (has noise problems in low light and the flash is not powerful enough, but hey, it does not weigh a ton and fits in a pocket).

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
knew i came to the right place :D thanks everyone

boik

I use the TZ20 for the season ticket site it is simple point and shoot for those who want this and by various degrees up to full manual for those who know what they are doing. Remember different people sit in the seat and everyone of them has to be able to use the camera right off the bat and some of the results are stunning.

It is small powerful and can produce fantastic results (has noise problems in low light and the flash is not powerful enough, but hey, it does not weigh a ton and fits in a pocket).

Thirded. I've had a TZ10 for best part of 3 years now and it's brilliant. It's been untra-reliable, unlike my previous cameras. Low-light isn't perfect, but it get good pics in all but the darkest situations. Fits in my pocket and is always with me. Thoroughly recommend the TZ range.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Best camera is the one you have on you...so by that the peeps who hav recomended pocket ability get my vote and ones that take piccies in less than brilliant light

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Got a Lumix/Panasonic DMC-TZ30 recently for photos of a new arrival - is very good would highly recommend it - in hindsight TZ25 without the GPS function would have been just as good - got the TZ30 for £200 around three months ago - not looked at prices since then though, so could have changed now

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I bought my misses a Nikon p510 bridge camera for Xmas. She loves it. 42x optical zoom is great.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here