New Anti-Smoking Ads

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
It's all here, from the British Heart Foundation website:

How the smoke affects your heart
You have a cigarette. What happens? The chemicals released into your body make your blood vessels sticky.

This causes fatty deposits, called atheroma, to collect in your arteries. This is called atherosclerosis.

When too many fatty deposits build up the inside lining of the artery can rupture, which leads to a clot. The clot then blocks the flow of blood to the heart, starving it of vital oxygen.

It’s all in the research
There’s a clear link between smoking and the permanent damage caused in your arteries.

Some research suggests smoking increases the amount of LDL cholesterol the artery wall takes up – and this increases the build-up of atheroma in the arteries.
Cigarette smoke also appears to damage the inside of the artery and this allows the fatty deposits to build up more easily.
More harm than good
Smoking also has other harmful effects on the heart.

Carbon monoxide joins onto the red protein of the blood cell (haemoglobin) making it less able to carry oxygen to the heart and other parts of the body.
Nicotine stimulates the body to produce adrenaline, which makes the heart beat faster and raises blood pressure.
The tar in cigarettes causes cancer.
No tar not low tar
Even if a cigarette is low in tar it does not necessarily mean that it has less nicotine and carbon monoxide. So low tar cigarettes can be just as harmful to your heart.

People who smoke low tar cigarettes also tend to make up for this by taking more puffs and inhaling more deeply.

Just three or four extra puffs on a cigarette turns a low-tar cigarette into a regular-strength cigarette.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
No they are not. Smoking inceases the movement of phagocytes. These are the bloods way of dealing with any foreign matter. hence infalmation is caused, and histamine is produced. these make the blood cells leaky, and squeeze from the capillaries. The hitamine then seals off the infected area. hence the lipid like prduction seen on the advert.............I THINK!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm sure a greasy fry would do much the same thing.

Look we all know smoking is not good for you. I think we should be allowed to get on with it and make up our own minds or ban smoking and make it illegal. Your made to feel like a criminal for smoking now anyway.

Then I will have great pleasure in breaking the law.

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
I'm getting nagged more and more by my partner, so I guess soon she'll get her way and I'll quit.

Do those patches work? :smokin:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't know Peth but gave up on 14.12.03.

Doing OK except the dreaded pub, been around 4 times and always ended up with a cigar or two.

Might give the pub a miss for a while now.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Yes Pethick's the patches do work. The County do a smoking sesation course run (I think) by Anna Fairhurst. You may be able to get the patches on script.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I don't smoke but can imagine how difficult it is to give it up. I find it surprising that the current ads would be more offputting than the warning you could die. I am not being ignorant but I would have thought death was more offputting than a bit of fat dripping out of the end of a ciggie??!!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
After years of everyone saying I should give up, this is the first ever time I have actually wanted to myself, probably because no-one pressured me. I am trying to give up without any help, just will-power, any tips anyone?

After playing football on Saturday I even had to forego the clubhouse in case I was tempted to smoke. No pub at least for the next month for me.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
Oh and I haven't seen the advert yet so hopefully when I do see it, it will help with my decision to give up.

beorhthelm said:
not convinced by this new "smoking casues fat" theory. How does smoke in lungs cause fat in arteries?

i'd like to see the research. For one thing how the hell are you going to find control subjects, ie moderate/heavy smokers in thier 30's that havent eaten steak and other fatty food? sounds like bad scince to me, probably about as credible as the MMR vaccine realted to autism bollox.

Deny all you want, but realise that the most intrinsic thing to your health, that you do all day and night, is breathing. If you believe that putting poisons into your stomach every day, several times, will eventually do you harm - why not understand that sucking burnt leaves into your lungs and thereby starving them of oxygen and contaminating them with phosphorous, carbon, and nicotine and damaging the alveola (or whatever those tiny chambers are called) to reduce lung capacity will do you some kind of harm?

Where in the brain does this denial come from, that smoking is not a form of suicide? It is not linked to anything that I have heard of, that is a physical need. It may take years to do it, but it often either kills or contributes to death . The coroner may write "bronchial condition" or "pneumonia" or "cancer", "emphesema" or even "heart condition" on your death certificate, but they may as well put "smoking" if you impair your lung and heart health so that they cannot continue supporting your life.

I'm not about to argue with anyone who really wants to smoke, or likes it so much they refuse to chuck it - but enough fact and reality in research has pegged cigarrettes with illness and death.
Denial is rife, but why not question what the attraction is in smoking?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Lol at the smokers on this thread trying to come up with excuses not to quit.

Just be honest.

As someone in the Indy today said "Give me a smoker any day who accepts that they are killing themselves but says that the satisfaction they derive from their addiction outweighs the dangers to the health of themselves and the people they live with."

Someone else wrote..."Instead of quitting and thinking "Oh No! How can I cope. I'm never gonna have a puff on a cigarette again", you must train yourself to think the truth: "Huh! Look at that person smoking over there. Thank goodness I don't feel the need for it any more. Thank goodness I'm not harming myself any more. Thank goodness I have half the number of colds I used to have. Thank goodness I won't cough and splutter like that anymore. Thank goodness my teeth won't be stained anymore. Thank goodness my kids don't have to breathe my smoke any more. Thank goodness."

Perhaps, smokers, you think deep down that cancer and heart disease won't get you? You're wrong. Good luck mk-bha, Kuiper's Left Hand and Pethick's Haircut.

Kuipers Left Hand said:
After years of everyone saying I should give up, this is the first ever time I have actually wanted to myself, probably because no-one pressured me. I am trying to give up without any help, just will-power, any tips anyone?

After playing football on Saturday I even had to forego the clubhouse in case I was tempted to smoke. No pub at least for the next month for me.

Yes. Do NOT finish the packet. Destroy a few cigs, why give them value anymore? They cost you, but you payed for a stupid little pile of leaves in a roll of paper.

Don't make any big 'date with quitting'. Just do it, not after your birthday, after the end of the month, after Brighton get a respectable sport facility, after your wife or girlfriend agrees to join you, etc. The only time that exists is now, the present. The future has yet to exist, and then it will be called 'now' anyway !
You may as well quit ....now !!

Take a cigarrette and break it. Break a few up, bend a few in the packet, chuck a few away. If someone offers you a cigarette, no problem, just begin to enjoy telling them "I don't smoke anymore". If they say "go on mate, have one", ask them if they would mind if you break it in half, and enjoy telling them (and yourself) "I don't smoke".

Do NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE 'cut down' . You are increasing the 'value' of those few fags you 'allow yourself', making them seem 'bigger' to you. You would actually be better off INCREASING the number you smoke before you quit ! I almost doubled my cigarrette smoking a couple of days before I quit, and by over-doing it I realised how awful smoking is. Smelly clothes, breath, furniture, car - stained teeth, curtains, walls. Dark patches appeared under my eyes as well, though this may not be the same for everyone. They went away after I quit.

Savour the taste of drink and food - you'll find it increases the longer you do without a fag. You are so used to associating a beer or cuppa with a fag, that you are masking the taste of them !

By all means replace, initially, the oral fixation for a ciggy, with a toothpick, if you think it will help and you have a desparate need to have something else. Some people use gum, but that can get annoying and distract from other tastes as well.

Don't keep thinking about it. It's not a big deal, you don't smoke, that's all. You will stop noticing the whole smoking cigarettes thing, it will soon be in your past. Don't bother to proclaim your ability to quit, lots of people did it before, it's only smoking, bollocks to it.

smoking? Isn't that something the French do a lot? It sounds French - "cigar-ette" . That's f***ing french !

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
hey, NMH, im not denying the fact that smoking is a bad thing health wise. I just reckon this new campaign is based on flawed/biased science. You dont hear much about one study that established that a moderate smoker (10 - 20 a day) who gives up by they're 30 will only have a 10% increased cahnce of all those health problems you mention, due to the lung cleansing themselves.

The study was sponsored by an american anti-smoking group, and they where going to use the evidence to encourage to people to give up early. Problem is they realised that it might encourage people to smoke while young as it gives the impression of impunity. So they suppressed it.

Point is, if tobbacco is so bad for us why the f*** isnt it just banned outright (i know the reason). The government/health lobby should either shit or get off the pot.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Hearing people above talk about avoiding the pub makes me wonder I'm the only one who only ever smokes when he has a pint in his hand. I can go from smoking 30 on a night out, and not touch another one until my next pub visit the next weekend with no withdrawal/cravings in the interim. I have never been addicted to nicotine, never smoke at home or anywhere else, but put me in a pub and I smoke for England.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
When the pubs went no smoking in my town 'Burlington, Ontario' we figured our darts team was finished. We all smoked. 3 of the guys managed to quit on the patch - no problem. These were 3 hardcore (pack or more a day smokers). Darts goes a bit slower - have to chase after the other people outside having a smoke...

I decided to try quiting on New Years eve (don't know why) I'm on day 5 and feel like I could kill someone.......

:angry:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Good luck driddles.

My wife regularly works with patients who have had limbs amputated because of smoking. Some of them even still smoke.

Personally I cannot understand why anyone would want to smoke. I can understand people being hooked and having trouble getting off, as it is highly addictive, and I sympathise with you guys in that situation. But arguing in smoking's defence? That's just dumb.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wozza said:
Can highly recommend Allen Carr's The Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently.

Amazing book.

Mrs Gwylan gave up smoking five years ago just by reading Carr's book; no patches or hypnotherapy needed.

Good recommendation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here