Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Amex entrance numbering

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Non-starter. Fire regulations dictate that you can't rely on using the lift.

If it's only for getting up the stairs it's not a means of escape though.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
There is one in the East stand used by supporters - I switched briefly after knee surgery and was able to use the lift. I would assume the same rules would apply if they allowed people to use one of the three(?) lifts in the West.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If it's only for getting up the stairs it's not a means of escape though.
Yeah, but if you can't get UP the stairs without using a lift, then what happens when you have to use the stairs to get down ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There is one in the East stand used by supporters - I switched briefly after knee surgery and was able to use the lift. I would assume the same rules would apply if they allowed people to use one of the three(?) lifts in the West.
Not sure about that. If you're reliant on using a lift, then it would be an obvious hazard in the case of a fire if the stand needed to be evacuated. Maybe they made an exception for your injury, but I can't see it being policy if mass numbers of wobbly crusties (and you DO see them hobbling up the WSU stairs) needed to use a lift to get back down.

@Bry Nylon is probably the fella for this

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Not sure about that. If you're reliant on using a lift, then it would be an obvious hazard in the case of a fire if the stand needed to be evacuated. Maybe they made an exception for your injury, but I can't see it being policy if mass numbers of wobbly crusties (and you DO see them hobbling up the WSU stairs) needed to use a lift to get back down.

@Bry Nylon is probably the fella for this
No exception - there seemed to be a fair few people using it.

Ultimately, it is the individual's responsibility to ensure that they are able to get down in the event of an emergency and for many, going down the stairs is easier than getting up them.

To your point though, I wonder if someone should be looking at this and, if there are STHs who would obviously struggle to get down from the upper tiers in an emergency, starting discussions with them about switching their ticket somewhere else on safety grounds.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
As I went to the Villareal game I can tell you that I used the West 3 entrance despite my ticket saying West 5. No way I'm walking the length of the west to get into the furthest entrance to where I approach the ground. My ST shows a different entrance to the one I use. If they say I have to walk the length of the east stand to get in, I'll be having words with PBOBE.
The numbering is just a help. You can use any entrance for your stand. I was at Villarreal too.

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
If you have had knee surgery and are in the West they wont let you use the lifts and insist you hobble/drag yourself up the stairs.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Had always wondered why the West Upper lifts were not available in the west but are freely used in the east.

Shirley it’s not a case of having to use the lift but a case of making it easier for some fans, who when called upon in an emergency could and would use the stairs?

I did one season in the west upper and the stairs were one of the reasons we moved. Nothing like making the pilgrimage to then be met by the hot greenhouse effect sun in a small concourse, devoid of any sense or order!

thedonkeycentrehalf

Jul 7, 2003
Had always wondered why the West Upper lifts were not available in the west but are freely used in the east.

Shirley it’s not a case of having to use the lift but a case of making it easier for some fans, who when called upon in an emergency could and would use the stairs?

I did one season in the west upper and the stairs were one of the reasons we moved. Nothing like making the pilgrimage to then be met by the hot greenhouse effect sun in a small concourse, devoid of any sense or order!
I think there is only one lift you can use in the ESU - the one at the South end. The big lifts in the WSU seem to be reserved for the TV crews and catering teams use but the ones at either end don't seem heavily used so they probably could make them available if they really wanted.
If you have had knee surgery and are in the West they wont let you use the lifts and insist you hobble/drag yourself up the stairs.
That is why I switched for a few games - I asked if there were exemptions for using the WSU lifts and was told no but they would switch me to ESU at no cost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yeah, but if you can't get UP the stairs without using a lift, then what happens when you have to use the stairs to get down ?
As an oldie I can confirm that climbing stairs is difficult but descending stairs is a lot easier.

Some of the wheelchair supporters use a lift in the NE corner to get to the shelf. I'm fairly sure they descend in the lift as well.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I’m hoping they are not enforced. My entry point is at the north end of WSU but I always use the south end entrance as there’s 27 fewer steps up 😂
And the good news is….. no. Entered via my usual entrance at south end 😂

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I used to blag/charm my way into the middle lift in ESU after the game to get into the lounge, when it was free in the early days. Then look out the window at everyone queuing in the rain to get in. 🙂

Lurker

62 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Worry not.
My season ticket says entrance West 1.
I just walked in entrance West 7 with no issues whatsoever.

Jimmy Come Lately

Registered Loser
Oct 27, 2011
Hove
I do think they've made it a little confusing by having the entrance labelled West 1 lead to stand W3 and the West 3 entrance lead to stand W1. I wonder if that was the reason for the number of people who seemed to be trying to get into the West Upper with West Lower tickets.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Maybe time to start lobbying the club for installation of a escalator. Or at least redesignation of the service lift for use by those fans pre-approved by the club
He loves the escalators to the upper tier at Wembley, bolt on em the side of the Amex. Job done

The East Stand Upper does have lifts for disabled access though? Is it above a certain number of steps that it's not allowed?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here