Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
perseus said:
Where is the plan?

Where are the maps?

What size is the area?

Are you talking about a remote football stadium or an incinerator?

Who are the land owners?

What is it zoned for in the Lewes Local Plan?

Is it in the coastal regeneration zone area?

Is it in an AONB?

What other developments would be allowed to justify a railway station (needs 250,000 passengers a year)?

Is it near where the football fans actually live, thereby complying with transport policies and being economically feasible?

What are the costs of installing a road junction and roads (cost £2 million plus a kilometre single carriageway and the developers pay for this).

I am open minded, but my feeling it is too far off the beaten track to be appealing. And any proponent would at least have to do their homework by drawing up a plan, identifying the landowners, identifying the additional businesses needed to make it economic, and probably, most of all, making it popular with the majority of the Albion supporters.

My feeling it is miles too far out.

To add to all that, it isn't Pende. Is it Percy?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Does the 8 mile rule from the Pavilion still apply? [/B]

This would never be enforced unless it suited the FA. As I have said before I do not believe that the FA would refuse anybody who came up with a plan and had the money to build a stadium that was a few miles outside of that distance i.e 10 - 15 miles.

But it still must be FALMER or bust.

Rangdo said:
Considering Lewes Council are opposing us putting a road junction on their land at Falmer I think the chances of them letting us build the whole stadium right outside the town are nil.
It's not Lewes District Council's land that is being used for the junction. Nor for any other part of the stadium - although some of the land that is needed for the transport interchange (owned by Brighton & Hove City Council and Brighton University) is located within the boundaries of Lewes District.

The Highway Authority, East Sussex County Council, hasn't raised any highway objections to the Falmer project.

ESCC have opposed the development in the AONB, but not to the extent of being bothered to turn up to the Inquiry and say more than they put in their letter of objection.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
This would never be enforced unless it suited the FA. As I have said before I do not believe that the FA would refuse anybody who came up with a plan and had the money to build a stadium that was a few miles outside of that distance i.e 10 - 15 miles.

But it still must be FALMER or bust.

A pointless statement since that rule was stated by the FA originally and therefore any proposal i.e. Falmer or any other plan would have been based on the 8 mile rule being in place.
Have you spoken to the FA? Do you know for fact that they would waive the rule?
To say you don't think it would be enforced is heresay but then we all know you're good at that.
And on top of all this why would BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION want to build their ground 15 miles outside the city?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It could be regarded as pointless as the site is about 7.99 miles from Brighton Pavilion (if it is an eight miles limit and not a six miles limit, I can't remember?).

Perhaps the writer of the letter is angling for a job as a Planning Inspector? I think it is a ridiculous suggestion, but it is no more ridiculopus than Sheepcote Valley? or is it?

Or are they both equally stupid?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rangdo said:
A pointless statement since that rule was stated by the FA originally and therefore any proposal i.e. Falmer or any other plan would have been based on the 8 mile rule being in place.
To say you don't think it would be enforced is heresay but then we all know you're good at that.
And on top of all this why would BRIGHTON AND HOVE ALBION want to build their ground 15 miles outside the city?

I do not have any prior knowledge of any hearsay on this matter but my many dealings with the FA (through being a County FA member) leads me to believe that if they considered it was in the best interests of the club they would overule their own rules.

If as Mike Bamber wanted, to build a ground near Hickstead if the FA thought it was a viable proposition and benefitted BHA I feel sure that they would agree to it.

Not that it is relevant but how far is Falmer from Brighton Pavilion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rangdo said:

Very quick to have a go at me but not so quick when I post an answer. Typical of a lot on here.

The 15 miles was a hyperthetical distance I was actually thinking more of 9 - 10 miles.

Rules are rules, so says you so 8.1 miles would be refused as too far!!

Incidentally I checked the route finder and the shortest distance from Brighton Pavilion to Village Way South/North is 4.7 miles

Last edited:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
BensGrandad said:
Very quick to have a go at me but not so quick when I post an answer. Typical of a lot on here.

What are you talking about? Because I don't post an answer within your half hour limit you get all uptight. Sorry but I had better things to do :tosser: .

BensGrandad said:

Rules are rules, so says you so 8.1 miles would be refused as too far!!
Thats not what I said at all. What I actually said was that the Falmer plan that you are bitching about was devised in order with the rules of the FA at the time. It's easy for you to criticise years down the line and say the FA would be leanient but the club could not know this (if it is the case) when they applied for Falmer. Which brings me back to my original post that you are basing it on your opinion that they might be leanient based on your extensive knowledge as county FA member. Well forgive me but I think I'll stick with the knowledge of proffesionals who know the real circumstances and don't base their arguments on unsubstantiated bullshit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Yorkie said:
I'm sorry I asked :shootself

Really Yorkie, how many times do you need to be told :dunce:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Beach Hut said:
Really Yorkie, how many times do you need to be told :dunce:

I know. I am just a naughty girl really. :rolleyes:

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Yorkie said:
I'm sorry I asked :shootself

You want some as well do you :angry: .

With regards to what you originally said the 8 mile rule was an FA stipulation not a planning one. John Prescott's planning consideration is as you correctly stated "within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove" which I would consider to be more restrictive than the 8 mile rule.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Thanks Rangdo. That is what I wanted to know

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Incidentally do you ever sleep?
You seem to post late at night and then are the first to post at 6 in the morning.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Rangdo said:
Incidentally do you ever sleep?
You seem to post late at night and then are the first to post at 6 in the morning.

I only need about 5 hours sleep a night.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
I can't even lift my head off the pillow after 5 hours.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Office of the Deputy Prime Minister and the public inquiry will test each site on the following grounds:

Is the site within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove, thereby complying with Football League requirements?
I would take this mean to be the built up area adjoining the conurbation or edge of (not as far as Newhaven, east Worthing, Lewes or Burgess Hill)
Is site acquisition a realistic proposition?
The landowners have got to agree
Is the site large enough for a 22,000-capacity community stadium together with a bus/coach car park?
There is probably a minimum size, depending on the circumstances but the site is not required to have its own major car park (apparently).
Can a stadium be built without incurring unaffordable development costs on the site?
Costs has got to stack up. Building it in the sea would cost too much.
Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any over-riding safety/stadium management problems?
Remember Hillsborough.
Are there any over-riding site-specific planning issues?
Got to be zoned in the local plans or a Public Inquiry has to change this
Is the site accessible by sustainable modes of transport?
Got to be train and bus I would have thought. Train may not be essential for small club stadia (like Reading) and may only need to be installed for Premier League Football (e.g. Bolton) or a promise that never occured (Derby).
(I think the public would really demand train access. I cannot see how the local roads could cope on their own and there are not enough buses or bus drivers.)
Can a stadium be built on the site without resulting in any unacceptable environment impacts?
This means protected species (bats and badgers and water voles) and SSSI sites, and AONBs.
Can a stadium be built on the site without any unacceptable visual impacts?
This could mean just about anything, but I expect this would mean visual impacts in town conservation areas.

More on:

http://www.gatwork.co.uk/brighton__...ternatives.html

I doubt if these requirements are spceific to stadium developments. Some of them maybe. Just sort of elementary GCSE standard first base requirements for construction of anything up to a prefabricated factory.

Waterhall Wizard

Only one PETER WARD
Oct 14, 2004
East of Brighton
Good morning Percy. I wasn't aware that you were a fellow sufferer of insomnia.

It's quite a while since you gave us your wisdom about an alternative sit off the A27. This could be a good time.

The 8 mile limit was, of course, imposed by the Football League as a requirement when they agreed the groundshare at Gillingham. "You can have it, provided you are actively seeking a return to a stadium within 8 miles of the Royal Pavilion".

At the time, it wasn't technically a planning requirement that would necessary apply to the Albion's permanent stadium site.

However, in a modified form ("within the conurbation of Brighton and Hove") it has now become a planning requirement, thanks to John Prescott stipulating it in the terms of reference for the resumed Public Inquiry.

That'll do for me. Thank you Prezza.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here