Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Album recommendations

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone heard the new album from The Delays ???

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Uncle Spielberg said:
Anyone heard the new album from The Delays ???

Yeah it's good actually. Bit of a lul in the middle but definatly worth getting.

Also enjoying the Morning Runner album and Mystery Jets.

The new Placebo albums out today but the single didn't sound very good.

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
New placebo album is very very poor. I do like the new Mystery Jets one though.

New Graham Coxon Album is excellent.

Feb 16, 2006
Hove
The New Mogwai is wicked, also may I suggest Brakes "give Blood", Silver Jews "Tanglewood Numbers", Feild Music "Feild Music" and The Tenderfoot " Save The Year"

P.S The Delays are a pile of Shit!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Field Music is very good.
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene.
readymade FC and Jim Noir also. The Concretes too.

Most of these are pretty old now but worth a listen.

Feb 16, 2006
Hove
Wow I am quite suprised that someone has heard fo Feild Music! Did you know they are playing at Audio on the 23rd of April! Arcitchtur in Helsinki are pretty damn good as well! The Unicorns, Doctor Dog and Anything By Jim O'Rouke should also be purchased!

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Field Music indeed. Architecture In Helsinki are great too but a little twee.

If you like The Unicorns (one of my fav bands) then you will no doubt be pleased to hear of a band called Islands. Its two of the three Unicorns- the album is out in April and is very good.

Charlie_g

Sep 18, 2003
Hove
Gary Numan – Jagged (Mortal Records) review by Pete Woods
For anyone wondering why Gary Numan is getting featured here let me quote Beck who on the PR blurb stated, ‘I don’t care what anyone says, Gary Numan is cool.’ Yep I am quite happy to second that and without him there probably would be no such thing as EBM and Darkwave music as we know it today. Gary Numan is the Godfather and pioneer of electronic dance music. When I was a wee nipper he was probably one of the first artists that were different from the norm that I got exposed to. Whereas the likes of The Clash and The Pistols were a bit too dangerous for the mainstream radio airplay of the average late 70s household, Gary Numan was on rotation having shot to the top of the charts with
Tubeway Army and numbers like Cars and Are Friends Electric. By the time Dance came out in 1981 although not quite a Numanoid as his devoted clone army was termed, I was hooked on his strange futuristic sci-fi obsessed synth pop. By the time I was dealt the Mad Max excess of the superb Warriors album in 1983 I guess slightly obsessed would be a better term.
One thing you have to admire is the longevity of Gary Numan’s existence. 25 years on and although Pure is his first studio album in 5 years the magic spark is still very much there. I myself had pretty much lost touch of things after The Fury way back in 1985 but now I have to wonder what I have been missing. Getting back into the groove was simple; it took very little for me to get connected to Jagged and into the cold metal rhythm and that ever remarkable and unmistakeable voice. The one complaint I have on Jagged is that I found myself wishing he still had some of those soulful and soaring female backing vocalists cropping up occasionally, but apart from that Jagged is certainly a case of business as usual and an album that his devoted fan base are going to be grabbing at the first possible opportunity.
They are certainly going to get their money’s worth as well as this runs at 62 minutes and spans 11 colossal numbers. Pressure moodily drops in with Arabic rhythms and sultry swathes wrapping around Gary’s unique and instantly recognisable vocals. As the keyboards layer up with a heavy pulsing (you know, the sound present on practically every Nine Inch Nails number) we are slowly and deliberately taken under and dragged into the skin of the track and reborn as flesh in its wake. Listening to this still strikes me as the aural equivalent of watching Blade Runner, the hooky and cold catch of the next chorus is never far away. Take Fold for example when the vocals build up into a crescendo and hit those high notes it is practically impossible not to join in and sing along to the anthem with him. There is no urgency to things and do not expect any fast and furious numbers. To cite an early hit this is The Rhythm Of The Evening but when it roars at full might like on In A Dark Place it sounds magnificent. The anguished cry of, “I’m So Cold” on Blind is enough to send shivers down your spine; The Iceman Cometh, make no mistakes. Bristling with one word titles, Melt, Scanner, Jagged, the voice that was the future all those years ago really seems as though it is still just that way today. Perhaps though that 5 year rest has seen Gary holed up in the cybernetics factory but like a man machine this is one android that you are never going to see the back of.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
New album by Sparks 'Hello Young Lovers'

Still going strong after 30 years.

Criminally underappreciated band in my view.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here