Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New academy players + new foreign signings. I think Gus is a canny manager

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Where has this old chestnut of Murray wanting to go re-appeared from? Unless something new has come up, or I have missed something dramatic, last I heard was that he was happy here and intends to see his contract through.

Can someone elaborate on this, or is it just NSC scuttlebutt?

:shrug:

bit of scuttlebutt... bit of historical perspective. just my opinion but i don't think he's that highly rated by gus. i may well be completely wrong!

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
the squad is shaping up nicely isnt it, 19 in first team squad at the moment, he wanted 23 I think..

Peter Brezovan
Michael Poke

Inigo Calderon
Marcos Painter
Jim McNulty
Tommy Elphick
Adam El Abd
James Tunnicliffe
Jake Wright

Elliott Bennett
Agustin Battipeidi
Matthew Sparrow
Alan Navarro
Gary Dicker
Cristian Baz

Glenn Murray
Chris Holroyd
Liam Dickinson
Craig Davies

Mitch Walker
Lewis Dunk
Steve Cook
Jamie Smith
Jake Caskey
George Barker

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
bit of scuttlebutt... bit of historical perspective. just my opinion but i don't think he's that highly rated by gus. i may well be completely wrong!

"One of the best strikers in League One" - Gus Poyet, regarding Glenn Murray.

:facepalm:

According to the same bloke who told me about the Matt Hicks thing and (way back) that Russel Slade was going to be appointed, Murray will be off to Huddersfield for around 600k and Davies/Dickinson will too depart.

However the good news is that from what I can tell from what he was saying, there will be TWO strikers coming in from abroad in the coming weeks!!! Don't shoot the messenger, this guy is very reliable and works for the club. I will probably see him today and will try and dig for some more news however it is like getting blood out of a stone at times.

The future is :albion2:

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
"One of the best strikers in League One" - Gus Poyet, regarding Glenn Murray.

:facepalm:

what do you expect managers to say about their players in public! he also describes el abd as 'the best defender at the club' or something along those lines.

he's a good player but if he was THAT good... he would have been snapped up during the year or so he was on the transfer list.

the squad is shaping up nicely isnt it, 19 in first team squad at the moment, he wanted 23 I think..

Peter Brezovan
Michael Poke

Inigo Calderon
Marcos Painter
Jim McNulty
Tommy Elphick
Adam El Abd
James Tunnicliffe
Jake Wright

Elliott Bennett
Agustin Battipeidi
Matthew Sparrow
Alan Navarro
Gary Dicker
Cristian Baz

Glenn Murray
Chris Holroyd
Liam Dickinson
Craig Davies

Mitch Walker
Lewis Dunk
Steve Cook
Jamie Smith
Jake Caskey
George Barker

From that list the obvious areas requiring improvement are widemen (we only have Baz and Bennett?) and up front (assuming that at least one, and probably both, of Dickinson and Davies will go). It also looks like Jake Wright will leave. Has Whing left the club?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Where has this old chestnut of Murray wanting to go re-appeared from? Unless something new has come up, or I have missed something dramatic, last I heard was that he was happy here and intends to see his contract through.

Can someone elaborate on this, or is it just NSC scuttlebutt?

:shrug:

You may be right,but none of us know for sure.Past utterances may be just that,but I for one would not be entirely surprised to see him go...for one reason or another.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
We NEED someone to partner Murray, that's now our major priority, without another striker we are going nowhere.

So you don't think that we are building a squad around an intention to play 5 in midfield and a lone striker?

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
From that list the obvious areas requiring improvement are widemen (we only have Baz and Bennett?) and up front (assuming that at least one, and probably both, of Dickinson and Davies will go). It also looks like Jake Wright will leave. Has Whing left the club?

You missed off Smudge (James Smith) from the development squad.

Any news on who's going to be in charge of that?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
what do you expect managers to say about their players in public! he also describes el abd as 'the best defender at the club' or something along those lines.

he's a good player but if he was THAT good... he would have been snapped up during the year or so he was on the transfer list.

Are you saying that Gus didn't mean that about El Abd then ?

The same El Abd that was awarded a contract extension when everyone else was subsequently told they would have to wait ? - which in it's roundabout way was probably what kicked off the Forster falling out.

I don't think Gus would say anything in public he doesn't actually mean.

I see no evidence that Gus doesn't rate Murray.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we need a f*** off huge polish centre back!

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We've given contracts to (I think) 4 academy players, we've got these new unknown Argies and a Bulgarian (potentially) who hopefully will attract the crowds, Calderon is permanent, we're going for Lua Lua, Barnes, Greer and Hendrie, Brezovan really impressed last season plus he's got competition with that ex-Saints goalie....and a manager and coach who seem to get the best out of Elphick and El-Abd. My favourite, Elliott Bennett, is still here.

You know what - that's not a bad squad Gus and Mauricio are building. I am very very excited about the new season.

:albion2:

Viva Gus!!

You didn't even mention Painter.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Murray will be a backup next year on account of his disciplinary record. If he sorts that out, he'll be a king.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gus maybe canny but apparently his 'amazing contacts' are not much cop ...

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Isn't Baz a striker? That's what the Argus says anyway.

I know he'll need time to bed in and acclimatize to English football BUT he is the older of the two Argentinian imports (at 23) so there's nothing to say he won't be involved up front for us over the season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here