Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Never post but...

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Interesting what you sa y about the desk.

I know for sure that there was never a paper clip out of place on Chris' desk.

However, I don't see what having an untidy desk has to do with the football. All he needs is a better PA it would seem.

I am surprised that Potter is impolite. He actually comes across as being very polite in interviews. Although I concede I have never met him

Also Chris was extremely courteous with all hospitality workers and admin staff.

Maybe the OP is competing both. Not everyone is as outgoing. Perhaps Potter is just a bit shy

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The thread originator shows no appreciation of current requirements for PL football. There was a change made at our club to try and fall closer in line with that. You can try and buck the trend and play differently but it requires the following......
1) A tight defensive formation that is so solid that you keep a decent number of clean sheets and also restrict the opposition to only one goal a game for as often as possible.
2) Players with a good first touch and the ability to hold onto the ball for fairly long periods.
3) An ability to counter attack, with pace and accuracy.
4) Forwards who have a good percentage conversion rate.
( The leading clubs in the PL all have these attributes but do not want to play this way. They feel they have the ability to overpower and ' out football ' most of their opponents. They know they will have to defend at times but they also know that they have players capable of individual brilliance to turn games back in their favour. )
All the other clubs in the PL fall short of having all these attributes and realise that spirit, effort and teamwork can bridge some of this gap. They also appreciate that there is a blueprint in place, played at varying levels, from high execution by City and Liverpool, to a good level by some of those just behind them and to a reasonable level by most of the rest.
For two seasons, we didn't adopt this style. We tried to stay in games for as long as possible. We defended deep and manfully but the better sides generally picked us off. We had our moments. It wasn't all backs to the wall but there was a certain inevitability about many games.
The board recognised that we had an experienced and skillful manager but ultimately they felt they we needed to buy into the blueprint and try and match more sides with more positivity and further up the field. Its a gamble, most things in life are but better to die by the sword than a siege mentality, where eventually, your walls get kicked down.
Its work in progress and its very early. We have not enjoyed much luck and we have a fair few injuries. We are playing differently and more positively. Most fans are buying into this and are prepared to be patient. Still reason for a lot of optimism.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
I believe him

You would you dimbecile because you’re Palace as well. Rule one of being a successful Palace troll on here(there are a few believe it or not) - every so often post some positive stuff to make it less obvious; something you have never done, praise a player, a performance, just a little thing, doesn’t have to be over the top or anything. Rule two - don’t rush on here after we’ve lost and you’ve won, mix it up a bit, maybe post after you’ve succumbed to an injury time equaliser or something. This is just general advice btw, nothing you can’t tinker with/ adapt to your own ends.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We would have stayed up with Chris. The football wouldn't have been amazing but it's down to the resources. Unless we spend big I felt his approach was right. Look at Stoke for example who had better financial resources and attempted to play silky football overnight.

The football wouldn't have been pretty but neither would this message board or the stands. We were already very divided over Chris and after every poor performance or result the same 'Hughton Out' posts would have appeared, we were too far gone as a fanbase to keep Chris. And as much as I liked him and was disappointed he had gone, and defended our efforts and bemoaned our bad luck, in hindsight we were dreadful for the last quarter of the season. What we're doing under Potter is the way to play the premier league. Its a work in progress too, we have to have patience

Stoke? Mark Hughes replaced Tony Pulis in 2013 and led them to finishes of 9th, 9th, 9th and 13th whilst playing decent football.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
So you're saying we go back to the tactics of last season, where we defend from the start, inviting the opposition to come on and beat us.
Not a fecking chance chap, I'm all for this new type of footy we are playing, it's miles better than previous effort.
Okay were not scoring, but that will change I'm sure, given the players that are going to come back into the side.
The Chelsea game wasn't easy to watch, but I'm with the Potterman
Still a long way to go :albion2:

We weren't exactly scoring regularly even with all our injured palyers in the side, (the opening day vicory at Watford apart), and even then one of our scorers is currently not at the club.

Just saying like . . .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We would have stayed up with Chris. The football wouldn't have been amazing but it's down to the resources. Unless we spend big I felt his approach was right. Look at Stoke for example who had better financial resources and attempted to play silky football overnight.

Do you acknowledge that things went rapidly downhill from Christmas last season? Taking away the back to back wins v Huddersfield and Palace our record to the end of the season from 12/01/19 was....P 15...W 0 D 4 L 11.....the home defeat ( 0-5 ) to Bournemouth was embarrassing and indicated the wheels had come off. Three days later we lost to Cardiff. A lot of owners would have got rid then. Some wouldn't have waited that long. It was clear he had lost it. The players had no confidence in the system. There was clearly unrest in the camp. We should have been relegated. We got lucky because Cardiff shot themselves in the foot. We didn't rescue the situation, we limped over the line. We didn't win any of our last 9 league games, taking 3 points out of 27 and that was largely achieved by ' boarding ' up the goal and putting 10 men behind the ball.
CH put faith in his tried and trusted stalwarts. He flogged Murray to death, game after game and gave Andone fairly limited opportunity. He persisted with a slow and defensive midfield. We didn't move the ball forward quickly enough. Our wide men were forever trying to break out from the edge of their own area. He was tactically reactive, regularly waiting til we were 2 down before making any change in games.
I firmly believe that, if he had stayed, we would be watching much of the same and our time would have run out. The PL is moving on all the time and the board were right to try and move with it. It may not work but at least the ethos within the club has changed, the players are on board and our whole thought process seems more positive.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
People are over doing the youngsters thing. We’re riddled with sickness and injuries. We will quite literally be a different side after the international break although Alzate and Connolly are there on merit.

As for his office, I couldn’t give a damn if he leaves a warm turd on his desk at the end of the day as long as he is getting results

Thank **** a bit of common sense. We said !!

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Do you acknowledge that things went rapidly downhill from Christmas last season? Taking away the back to back wins v Huddersfield and Palace our record to the end of the season from 12/01/19 was....P 15...W 0 D 4 L 11.....the home defeat ( 0-5 ) to Bournemouth was embarrassing and indicated the wheels had come off. Three days later we lost to Cardiff. A lot of owners would have got rid then. Some wouldn't have waited that long. It was clear he had lost it. The players had no confidence in the system. There was clearly unrest in the camp. We should have been relegated. We got lucky because Cardiff shot themselves in the foot. We didn't rescue the situation, we limped over the line. We didn't win any of our last 9 league games, taking 3 points out of 27 and that was largely achieved by ' boarding ' up the goal and putting 10 men behind the ball.
CH put faith in his tried and trusted stalwarts. He flogged Murray to death, game after game and gave Andone fairly limited opportunity. He persisted with a slow and defensive midfield. We didn't move the ball forward quickly enough. Our wide men were forever trying to break out from the edge of their own area. He was tactically reactive, regularly waiting til we were 2 down before making any change in games.
I firmly believe that, if he had stayed, we would be watching much of the same and our time would have run out. The PL is moving on all the time and the board were right to try and move with it. It may not work but at least the ethos within the club has changed, the players are on board and our whole thought process seems more positive.

Wholly agree with this - but it is fair to riposte thus... we're still chronically slow in central midfield and hence we'd better pray we can switch Alzate to his central role soon (when our wingers return) and that Bissouma delivers on his promise. Mooy, Gross, DS and DP are too slow to all play, and sadly (due to injuries) that's where we are. I liked the look of Alzate when he moved to a more central role against Newcastle - for me that's where he needs to be and soon.

DP and DS have been much improved however, I suspect Gross is only playing because we're short - he's traded off season 1 for WAY too long.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Also my son works in hospitality and looks after media and managers after game and unlike previous manager is unapproachable and leaves his office like a tip,manners cost nothing.

This goes against everything anyone has ever said about Potter, from Ostersunds, to Swansea to here, including players that didn't want to be here. Locadia even noted that GP is far more approachable and even the damn tea lady in Sweden adored him. I see you have 4 posts, I hope it never gets to five.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

So just how high in the table did you expect us to finish last season then? half away up? European place maybe? I think you need to get real, with thr esources that we have, and the players currently at the club, stugging to retain our Premier League status is about the best that we can achieve, irrespective of who is managing the club.

Personally l had more confidence in Chris Hughton achieving that, than l do of Graham Potter. Some peoples expectations of our capabilities are way too high.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Well they don't bother me, I can't believe there aren't Albion fans posting on Palarse forums too.

If you don't like what they say, simply ignore it

Yes but people on Palace forums are intelligent enough not to engage with them in serious debate as though they are fans of their club, I mean look at the size of the post from Mo Gosfield above for fark’s ache. With all respect to Mo et al, are you completely thick? People don’t ‘ignore it’ on here, they engage with piss take posts from Palace fans, who, as SIMMO rightly points out above, are laughing from their outhouses and end of garden latrines.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here