Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Never go back!

Is a return for Coppell ill advised because you should "Never go back" ?

• What? Coppell has managed us before, really?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It was certainly something we all felt about Adams after a while, but it's easy in hindsight. So, before it happens - if it happens - does this apply to a potential return of Steve Coppell?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You're going to get pelters here Gritty. Just wait till Commander sees this.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You're going to get pelters here Gritty. Just wait till Commander sees this.

I am seeing it right now.

But I fear I am all argued out today. Plus I am scared to speak on here at the moment in case I get banned.

Doesn't apply to Coppell.

He's getting sick of people mentioning the 'never go back' theory.
I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it.

Count yourself lucky you don't know me personally, otherwise you'd have to put up with me ranting about it to your face, on the phone and with constant emails. The chap from Ghana who sits opposite me, doesn't speak much English and knows nothing about football is starting to understand my point though.

Last edited:

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Coppell is a great manager, Adams is not a great manager.

Coppell almost pulled off a miracle have joined us near the end of a 12 game losing streak in the league, taking it to the last game of the season is testament to his abilities. He has also shown he is more than capable in the Premiership with Reading.

To be fair to Adams he built up a fair formidable squad in Division 3 and left us near the top of Division 2. Adams took over a Leicester team in the Premiership, the quality of the side not much worse than that of Coppells Reading side.

At a higher level I don't think Micky had what it really takes. I doubted his appointment, but to a certain extent It was always going to be a crowd pleaser. But it was a poor appointment by Knight.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Coppell almost pulled off a miracle have joined us near the end of a 12 game losing streak in the league, taking it to the last game of the season is testament to his abilities. He has also shown he is more than capable in the Premiership with Reading.

To be fair to Adams he built up a fair formidable squad in Division 3 and left us near the top of Division 2. Adams took over a Leicester team in the Premiership, the quality of the side not much worse than that of Coppells Reading side.

At a higher level I don't think Micky had what it really takes. I doubted his appointment, but to a certain extent I was always going to be a crowd pleaser. But it was a poor appointment by Knight.

Absolutely correct. Well done.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You also neglected to say that Micky got promoted with Leicester.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, I'm with Commander on this. 'Never go back' is at very best a guide and is certainly not a hard and fast rule and there are always loads of factors to be taken into consideration. Adams coming back - no. Wilkins coming back (as manager) - no. Coppell coming back - yes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Only in the field of Brighton football is so much said by so many who know so little.

Not true at all, as much crap as there is spouted on here, at least most people who spout it have actually been to a few games. Better than the usual shit you hear at work and in the pub etc with mates who support Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, all based on what they see on the TV once every few weeks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

At a higher level I don't think Micky had what it really takes. I doubted his appointment, but to a certain extent It was always going to be a crowd pleaser. But it was a poor appointment by Knight.

Top post.

I think that Adams was a good manager in his first spell but not a great one. He had some money to spend and unearthed a gem in BZ but Coppell nearly pulled off a miracle.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
Not true at all, as much crap as there is spouted on here, at least most people who spout it have actually been to a few games. Better than the usual shit you hear at work and in the pub etc with mates who support Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal etc, all based on what they see on the TV once every few weeks.

True. My new housemate ask who I supported the other dat, I say Brighton, he goes "no mate, what real team do you support?!" I wasn't happy.

Went to the Emirates other day with my arsenal mate to watch the carling cup game v liverpool, its got about much atmosphere as the Withdean. Took him to the Oldham game, it was dire, but part of me thought, better this than be a prawn sandwich fan!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

Brilliant post :thumbsup:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
True. My new housemate ask who I supported the other dat, I say Brighton, he goes "no mate, what real team do you support?!" I wasn't happy.

Went to the Emirates other day with my arsenal mate to watch the carling cup game v liverpool, its got about much atmosphere as the Withdean. Took him to the Oldham game, it was dire, but part of me thought, better this than be a prawn sandwich fan!

I go to the Emirates quite a lot as I have a mate that's a season ticket holder and it's only 7 minutes from my work. Great stadium, and see some great football, but the atmosphere is shit. It doesn't feel like going to football, it feels like going to the theatre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here