Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Netflix : The Queens Gambit

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I did enjoy it, the only slight irritation (although I get it for dramatic purposes) being the speed with they moved, and the glances across the board.

Having played for many years at a high level, I can assure you that smoke filled rooms with ticking clocks would witness 15 minutes + per move, and no smug 'gotcha now numbnuts' grins across the 64 squares.

I agree that the speed with which they move is irritating, but I’m curious about your claim of ‘15 minutes + per move’ being more typical in tournament chess.

The tournaments I play adhere to FIDE classic time controls: 40 moves in 90 minutes and the rest of the game in the next 30 minutes, with an additional 30 seconds granted per move made starting from move 1.

Your experience would suggest a maximum of 6 moves in 90 minutes. My experience is that the early game is often played really quickly so that each player has one or maybe two opportunities to think for 10-15 minutes in the middle/early end game to do some over the board analysis.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As previously said by m@goo, It was quite pleasant, beautifully shot, but I really can't understand what all the fuss is about.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As previously said by m@goo, It was quite pleasant, beautifully shot, but I really can't understand what all the fuss is about.

I think you might find that the answer for quite a few is shown below:

C2C84B99-7647-4D2C-9A4A-1D1DD274F4EA.jpeg
9F3545E6-1DC9-4267-B1CC-90968FEC1C90.jpeg

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I agree that the speed with which they move is irritating, but I’m curious about your claim of ‘15 minutes + per move’ being more typical in tournament chess.

The tournaments I play adhere to FIDE classic time controls: 40 moves in 90 minutes and the rest of the game in the next 30 minutes, with an additional 30 seconds granted per move made starting from move 1.

Your experience would suggest a maximum of 6 moves in 90 minutes. My experience is that the early game is often played really quickly so that each player has one or maybe two opportunities to think for 10-15 minutes in the middle/early end game to do some over the board analysis.

Spot on.

Invariably the openings, learned and duplicated down to a T, tended to be rushed through even allowing for variations.

This then led to much slower play in the middle game, allowing for a general small acceleration in the endgame.

So far in the past, our time restrictions can only be checked if I dig my numerous notation books out. I really cba, but the memory of pipe smoke wafting into my eyes during my trademark Pirc defense will stay with me forever.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What level were you playing at?

And do you still play?

County standard, played in a few national tournaments.

De nos jours, I play a little online. Age means I prefer a faster game now, 3 mins being my fave before I need a pee.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
...the memory of pipe smoke wafting into my eyes during my trademark Pirc defense will stay with me forever.

:smile:

Really solid. Early K-side castling behind the fianchettoed KB. Tough to break down, but also tough for black to win from if white gets a solid pawn centre. The chess equivalent of the football ‘win at home, draw away’ philosophy... imo.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
:smile:

Really solid. Early K-side castling behind the fianchettoed KB. Tough to break down, but also tough for black to win from if white gets a solid pawn centre. The chess equivalent of the football ‘win at home, draw away’ philosophy... imo.

No wonder folks who only know me for the past few years or so say 'I bet you were a cautious player' without seeing me play.

It seems life characteristics might well be reflected in play style!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No - it’s based on a novel. There are some vague similarities between the protagonist and Judit Polgar, and some of the male players have some vague similarities with real players, most especially Fischer. The historical players they refer to are however real: Capablanca, Alekhine etc. Impressively, all the games that she plays are real games from a variety of players including one in which the post-game analysis by another player shows a variation that Kasparov (a consultant to the series) found which is better than the original game.

Kasparov is what you want from a chess player, batshit crazy and a genius with it.

I have experienced some unusual variations in Russia myself many years ago.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Kasparov is what you want from a chess player, batshit crazy and a genius with it.

I have experienced some unusual variations in Russia myself many years ago.

The Karpov/Korchnoi sagas covered in Bill Hartston/Raymond Keene books are an absolute joy. Yoghurt messages, the lot. Great memories reading those.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Karpov/Korchnoi sagas covered in Bill Hartston/Raymond Keene books are an absolute joy. Yoghurt messages, the lot. Great memories reading those.

I’m guessing that [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] has some experience of yoghurt messages too.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

I'm glad I'm not the only who thought this.

I did manage to watch the first 5 episodes throughout, but boredom got hold of me for the final two parts and I just fast forwarded to the last 5 minutes. Predictable ending.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm glad I'm not the only who thought this.

I did manage to watch the first 5 episodes throughout, but boredom got hold of me for the final two parts and I just fast forwarded to the last 5 minutes. Predictable ending.

I too often fast forward to the climax of films that I watch. They too have predictable endings that you can see coming.

Smirko

Aug 19, 2011
Brighton
Blatant plug for the NSC chess club! - for those inspired by this programme, to play some chess and represent NSC against other teams. We are doing quite well at the moment, all levels catered for, from beginners to experienced players.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Not sure why they killed her off in that way , how on earth would a crocodile manage to get up to the 12th floor .

Nice one , talk about spoiler alert ! I half expected the croc to be a red herring.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Blatant plug for the NSC chess club! - for those inspired by this programme, to play some chess and represent NSC against other teams. We are doing quite well at the moment, all levels catered for, from beginners to experienced players.

Where is this? I'd like to play.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I too often fast forward to the climax of films that I watch. They too have predictable endings that you can see coming.

I entered a blindfolded mastabating tournament

I’ve no idea where I came though.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
She gets mashed up as much as she plays chess!

Good watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here