Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nelson Mandela.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No doubt there will be endless newsprint on Mandela, however how do you veiw the man ? I suppose for me. Dignity. :albion2:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Terrorist.

Only joking. Great leader.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Could do a job?

(Alright, probably one of the greatest examples of forgiveness in my lifetime then)

Dandyman

In London village.
One of the very few political figures in the world that still attracts widespread admiration. Shame is that I can't think of a British figure of his standing.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
A quasi-religous Icon of the political left as there are plenty more worthy.

Both Vaclev Havel and Lec Vowensa(how do you spell it!), both stood up to tyranny, both went on to rule there countries, The former helped oversee the peacefull breakup up of Czecoslovakia, the latter faced down troops and guns in the shipyards of Gdansk. Neither felt the need to plant bombs for their cause, one put up posters and the other went on strike.

Personally I dont have a problem with it(the statue), a fair section of the country are for it and as Democracy is inclusive they should have one of their heros up there, they could have the Cookie Monster up there if they relly wanted, plus he did help the peacefull expansion of Democracy(Mandela not the CM) and we do have the mother of Parliaments.

It is in my veiw more political than humanitarian and no doubt the Tories may decide to put one up of Reagan or Havel if they are steeped in as much idolatry as this Government.

My only concern is that they(New Labour) will get called hypocrits by Islamic fundementalists or used as an example by them of the Beatification of an "ex-terrorist".

Dandyman

In London village.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Churchill had Gandhi imprisoned for being dangerous, he sounds like a lovely chap

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The alleged atrocities of his wife Winnie seem to have been brushed under the carpet in the deifying of Mandela

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I certianly don't think mandela is a saint or this paragon of understanding and virtue that people seem to have made him out to be. He admits as much in his autobiography. However, his ability to put aside his personnel feelings and lay himself down for his country, and his ability to forgive, are fantastic.

I'm sure theres plenty of british icons that could rank up there with him in terms of selfless leaders - but they come from a less media-crazy era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here