Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Negative Tactics

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
if you've got two wide wingers supporting a lone striker then essentially that becomes a 4-3-3...which is an attacking formation!

that is all

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He SHOULD have bought Forster on. That game was there for the taking. FACT.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
f*** sake - I don't know what's wrong with people on this site. Dickinson is a quality striker. why all the negative make believe stuff. He had a good game today, won loads of headers, kept the ball very well, always managed to find a brightpn player and made a right bloody nuisance of himself. Very impressed.

I thought Dickinson was one of our better players, but faded as the game wore on. If we'd had a 4th substitute I'm sure he would have come off for Forster. Also thought Cox had a good game - his creativity is much more of a threat when playing just behind the front players.

Overall this was by no means a bad performance. Brentford were not the best footballing side but nevertheless a real handful - especially with the long throw-ins. This was a good away point and on another day we might have nicked it with the chances we had.

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
Slade is still experimenting IMO.

4-5-1 (4-3-3) at Brentford= didn't work
4-4-2 at Swansea = didn't work
4-5-1 = didn't work first half against Walsall, 4-4-2 worked second half
4-5-1 at Scunthorpe = worked a treat

It will fall into place easier as the season goes on, I see the problem as a poor centre of midfield more than a striker problem, but when is Slade going to give Murray a starting chance?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
when is Slade going to give Murray a starting chance?

Have you not read all the other threads, might outrage all our fans who now seem to hate him so much.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I do not see a problem with playing one lone striker away from home. Taylor got the best out of us with that system when we went up to the Championship though admittedly we had a certain Robert Zamora playing then. Its about holding the ball up though when we attack so allowing midfield support.
Playing it at home is a different arguement and not to my tastes of how the game should be played in front of your own fans.

The problem yesterday was not necessarily the system but the personnel playing it. Maybe we don't have the players to execute the system. McLeod and Wright didn't play far enough forward to support Dickinson, and the service that he received was horrendous; he can play as a lone striker but needs the ball into feet, not long high balls to deal with.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Dickinson looks twice the player when he is up top with someone else. Feel sorry for him when he is up top on his own he gets the ball down and there is no support for him, or on the odd occasion he gets a flick on it just straight to the oppo defence because no one is running on

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I do not see a problem with playing one lone striker away from home. Taylor got the best out of us with that system when we went up to the Championship though admittedly we had a certain Robert Zamora playing then. Its about holding the ball up though when we attack so allowing midfield support.
Playing it at home is a different arguement and not to my tastes of how the game should be played in front of your own fans.

Top notch reply. Says it all really.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Good post.

I don't see what people's gripe is with playing like this away from home. Make yourselves difficult to beat and mabye nick a goal. Anyone saying we should take the game to Huddersfield is deluded, if we do that we'll probably get dicked 3-0. I'd much rather pack the midfield and get a draw or a 0-1.

We can't play like that at home though, the Peter Taylor season was why I gave up my season ticket the first time, some of the football was mind numbing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dickenson needs to get the basics right first. When he has the ball at his feet or is bringing it under control he looks good but his heading when he occassional wins a ball is poor and is never directed to anybody and he tries shots that never look as if they will go in. I know the old Clough analogy of 1 shot = 1 possible goal 10 shots = possibly more goals but some of the shots he had yesterday were wild and Murray was in a better position had he received a pass. The one big chance he had yesterday 2nd half when he broke clear on his own with good ball control I would have backed Forster or Murray to have gone for goal and scored but he huffed and puffed and allowed the defenders to get back and tackle him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here