Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NCP Car Parks now £5 per hour

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
I spotted a news story on the Argus Website today which reveals that NCP are now charging £4 per hour weekdays and £5 per hour weekends to park in their Church Street, Russell Road and North Road car parks.

Full Article Here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/8185570.Brighton_car_parks_now_charge___5_an_hour/?ref=mr

People are kicking up a right old fuss on the comments, but why don't they just use Churchill Square car park? It works out at about £1 per hour to use and its open 24 hours. http://www.churchillsquare.com/index.php/centre-info/parking-a-valet.html

Not living in Brighton and only using the Churchill Square car park a few times a year for shopping, am I missing something here regarding the outrage?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i always use the London Road car park, use to be free weekedns though i think its now £1.20/hr. those other car parks are an arse to get to anyway.

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
I thought it was at Withdean, but I never looked into it.

So it's free parking, but you have to pay £3.60 for the bus. I guess that's a good price if you're going on your own, but if you have two or more in a car, you're better off just splitting the cost of parking in the city centre.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Those car parks pick up day trippers and people coming into Brighton for the evening - (one is called Theatre Car Park) ie people who don't know Brighton very well and will go into the first one they see or the nearest one to the Dome/Theatre Royal/ restaurants/shops etc. One woman said it cost more to park than for her ticket to whatever show she was seeing.

Pretty much a captive market, unfortunately.

However it may well put people off coming to events in Brighton.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Whenever I go into Brighton I always park for free in Shoreham and get the train in. Efficient, safe and no stress.

Pretty quick service and saves the hassle of driving into central Brighton. :wozza:

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
train is the best way to get into brighton

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The official Park & Ride service was binned at least a year ago.

You can still park at Withdean during the day, but you have to get the bus that runs halfway around Withdean and Westdean, stopping all over the place on route, it's a pain in the arse compared to the old P&R that went straight to the city centre down Dyke Road.

I never park in the centre, I leave the car somewhere around Surrenden Crescent and get a 5 or a 5a bus into town. Cheaper, quicker and it means the bus driver has to do all the queuing in traffic, not me.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its an absolute rip off frankly. Tho I have a permit so it dont affect me but for visitors its outrageous.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I don't go to Brighton shopping now due to the high cost of the car parks - prefer the out of town places where it's free.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here